Author Topic: Tiller advice  (Read 8730 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Tiller advice
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:30 pm »
How do these tools work on charector wood?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »
They will still help you some...but if the Stave is really kinky....you have to look past the kinks and dips to see the whole Picture....and not really worry about every inch curving the same
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 12:16:47 am »
I used mine today on a yew bow I'm working on with a few knots and an uneven back. I was having trouble getting the tiller right and developed a hinge. Without this gizmo I wouldn't have been successful. I put about 50 arrows through her today and she's gonna be a good shooting bow. This is the first time I have really used it and will definitely use it again.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 07:31:39 am »
I use it some after I get it braced,not much till then,especilly if it has a lot of character or backset.
It can fool me then. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »
Ok, guys I have cheered up, looked at the bow in different views, and ready to start tillering again.  I have a bunch of sinew and I believe some working room to bring the wieght up, but want to get the tiller right.  If only to learn how to do it right.  I spent alot of time with my tip overlays and should have waited to put them on.  Oh well. 

Ok, what would you guys do?  Would you first work on the left limb (the one with the hinge) and work right near the handle to get it bending more and right after midlimb to 6" from the tip?  Or should I start working on the right limb first getting it to bend more.  In my eyes, the right limb is bending nicely just too stiff compared to the left one.

After thinking about it, no matter if I got the right limb bending more, I still can't leave that left limb hinged like that. That hinge is right where there is a cluster of 4 pin knots. 
Westminster, MD