Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bows / Re: bamboo backed and bellied hickory bow
« Last post by superdav95 on June 01, 2024, 11:37:41 pm »
I started out with about 4.5" after glue up of the belly lams.  I had pretillered this bow out to 20" after assembling the boo backing lan to the hickory core. 

Beautiful bow, Dave. A couple questions:

1) Did you pre-bend the back lam and/or core lam before gluing them up with the 4.5" of reflex?
2) It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you flattened the belly lam completely, removing all the crown, nodes, etc. Is that correct?

Mark

1.  I did not pre bend the back laminations.  I just heat treated them to drive out some moisture and harden it a bit.  I then taper after that out towards the ends. 

2.  I did not flatten the belly lams I only filed down the nodes a bit.  The natural crown of the strip was retained. 
« Last post by superdav95 on June 01, 2024, 11:29:35 pm »
Great bow, Dave. I liked the videos. Impressive speed. Very nice work as always.

Thanks Will.  Much appreciated
« Last post by superdav95 on June 01, 2024, 11:28:44 pm »
I’ve built that design for some years . If the bow is tillered good it just takes set. If built these bows for 6-8 IBO shooters that are still shooting the bows. They draw smooth, are fast and reliable. But yes  they will only break records for a certain amount of time. The design has won many IBO world championships. So don’t knock it till you tried it. Dave is better at it than me so I expect some of Arvin’s records to go down. I am excited to see his interests in the sport. I will continue to help him and others to shoot for distance. If it’s not your cup of tea I understand. I don’t play video games.🤠🤠

Thanks Arvin!  I doubt I’m better then you.  I may get lucky with your help.   Gotta figure out a proper string now and some flight arrows. 
« Last post by mmattockx on June 01, 2024, 06:56:33 pm »
I started out with about 4.5" after glue up of the belly lams.  I had pretillered this bow out to 20" after assembling the boo backing lan to the hickory core. 

Beautiful bow, Dave. A couple questions:

1) Did you pre-bend the back lam and/or core lam before gluing them up with the 4.5" of reflex?
2) It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you flattened the belly lam completely, removing all the crown, nodes, etc. Is that correct?

Mark
Bows / Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Last post by Muskyman on June 01, 2024, 06:44:50 pm »
Worked on these today and the flipped tip one might not make my 45 lbs so I’m left with the other one and it’s still plenty heavy yet. Gonna go slow and try to make sure it works out. It’s my third attempt at my trade bow and my last attempt I’m thinking.
Never had this much trouble making a bow before. Might be I’m just trying to hard to get it perfect, so to speak. The flip tip one is still really close to my target weight and still needs sanding. I haven’t had it to full draw yet so it might just barely make it. Doubt it though.
« Last post by Will B on June 01, 2024, 06:37:56 pm »
Great bow, Dave. I liked the videos. Impressive speed. Very nice work as always.
« Last post by Selfbowman on June 01, 2024, 04:14:32 pm »
I’ve built that design for some years . If the bow is tillered good it just takes set. If built these bows for 6-8 IBO shooters that are still shooting the bows. They draw smooth, are fast and reliable. But yes  they will only break records for a certain amount of time. The design has won many IBO world championships. So don’t knock it till you tried it. Dave is better at it than me so I expect some of Arvin’s records to go down. I am excited to see his interests in the sport. I will continue to help him and others to shoot for distance. If it’s not your cup of tea I understand. I don’t play video games.🤠🤠
« Last post by superdav95 on June 01, 2024, 02:37:19 pm »
Dave. You have my respect making these so reflexed and so fast and pretty heavy. However my guts say its too much performance and not so much durability - at least me myself I couldn't make those last long and not overly loosing the reflex. When you have that much initial string tension the whole system to me seems very vulnerable even to minor things and if you have one little weak spot that is not going to be stable but increase. And you always have a weak spot. It's really on the edge. But yeah, if you wanna go to the flats you need to...good luck, hope to read about. Me myself and I are content with a little less performance meanwhile, just tryin' to make a very good bow - stopped chasing speed...really (-; almost (-; sometimes stll taking my chrono measurments, but when making a bow its not the primary goal.

Thankyou.  Very true indeed.  It’s in the edge of failure.  I’m hoping they do t blow up on me but half expecting them to.  I hear that makes a decent flight bow though.  We shall see.  Fingers crossed 🤞
« Last post by simk on June 01, 2024, 01:01:28 pm »
Dave. You have my respect making these so reflexed and so fast and pretty heavy. However my guts say its too much performance and not so much durability - at least me myself I couldn't make those last long and not overly loosing the reflex. When you have that much initial string tension the whole system to me seems very vulnerable even to minor things and if you have one little weak spot that is not going to be stable but increase. And you always have a weak spot. It's really on the edge. But yeah, if you wanna go to the flats you need to...good luck, hope to read about. Me myself and I are content with a little less performance meanwhile, just tryin' to make a very good bow - stopped chasing speed...really (-; almost (-; sometimes stll taking my chrono measurments, but when making a bow its not the primary goal.
Wow absolutely stunning truly my hats off to you sir
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10