Author Topic: Ya Gotta Be Crazy - Tag Alder  (Read 19508 times)

Offline DanaM

Ya Gotta Be Crazy - Tag Alder
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:16:34 am »
I'm going to attempt a bow from Tag Alder(Alnus rugosa). Generally considered as completely useless.
I like to try different woods, I'm going to be really surprised if this one works out, the wood is really soft.
The stave is about 70" long and 1.5" wide and has a high crownand a few knot also. Not much width to work with but I'm going to
aim for 40#@ 26" and no longer than 68" NTN :) If it survives it will join my other garbage wood bow the sumac I built.
Here's a few pic to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

One question I have id with the high crown you guys think a flat belly is best? or maybe go for a rounded belly?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

Re: Ya Gotta Be Crazy - Tag Alder
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:06:59 am »
Hi Dana
  That's enough to make me want to try a piece of china berry.
Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
Dana, hey, I recognize that stick!!   It's one that hit me in the face when I was surveying a line in Dickenson County!!   Right?

Man, if Tag Alder works, you have bows for the multitudes in every creek bottom in the UP. 

Good luck  with it, we'll all be interested.    Piper

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:18 am »
Dana
I've been meaning to try Tag Alder for several years.  Last Fall while I was cutting some firewood I came across a really nice one.  It was about 4" in diameter, no branches for 7' and pretty straight, those that are familiar with Tag Alder know that is big for one of them.  It came back home with me and is drying in my wood shed. 

Personally I think Tag Alder should make a decent bow, it is after all a member of the Birch family
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:26 am »
4" mark that is a honkin big one :o As for it making a bow we shall see eh. wish I had a more width to work with though.
Oh well if it even remotely works I will keep my eyes open for something bigger as piper said it literally grows everywhere around here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:50:24 am »
Dana, If anyone is crazy it you, my friend! ;)  This will be interesting. Tag Alder as quite common here as well. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I hope your safety equipment is up to date.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »
You can do it man!  Daaa-Nuh!  Daa-Nuh!  ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:14 pm »
You made a beauty out of that Sumac.  This will be another challenge for ya.  Good luck.
Traverse City, MI

nailbender

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:30 pm »
  Tag Alder...Hmmm...

Does that stuff Have kind of a glossy gray brown bark, leaves like a birch tree, and grow in swampy, low moist areas, usually only 2-3" in diameter?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 08:30:27 pm »
  Tag Alder...Hmmm...

Does that stuff Have kind of a glossy gray brown bark, leaves like a birch tree, and grow in swampy, low moist areas, usually only 2-3" in diameter?

Yup dats da stuff :) Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, now the pressure is really on 8)

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:33:22 pm »
After you make that one Dana I'll cut some black ash for ya. Cant wait to see if it holds up. Good luck.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »
Hey Jesse I'll take ya up on the black ash, go ahead and cut me 3 or 4 decent pieces :)
If nothing else I can beat it apart for basket weaving eh ;D

Manistique, MI

nailbender

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:25:42 am »
 I was wondering what that stand of trees behind my house was. I thought it was some kind of river birch. I actually have a couple of staves of the stuff drying, was going to see what it amounted to.

Dale

AKAPK

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 02:09:37 am »
Dana, there is so much Alder around here, if ya do it I need the secret. :) whata i mean if, I know you will.PK
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:47:33 pm by AKAPK »

stonecarver

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 08:46:12 pm »
Here is a link to one of the first bows I made and it is Alder, a year later and my boy is still shooting it :)
I loved working the wood it was like butter!
my Sitka Alder bow

Sitka Alder (Alnus viridis ssp. sinuata)
This tree ranges from California to to Alaska
Plants Profile A good description with pictures
Calflora information for California