Author Topic: Tiller check please !  (Read 5416 times)

Offline John K

Tiller check please !
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:46:37 am »
This one is for my Uncle. Maple 45#'s @ 23"'s now, going for 28"'s 70"'s ttt

What do you all think ?

Thanks JohnK

The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Keenan

Re: Tiller check please !
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:33 pm »
  John, you have a hinge forming on the right limb just past the second verticle line. Stay clear of that area for removing any more wood, and also work on getting the limbs working a little closer to the fades. There is a long section of non-bending by the handle area.  The left side is looking good, it could bend a little more at the fade as well.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:45 pm »
yup :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:11:45 pm »
John how about a picture of the front view. But yup what Keenan said.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »
Thanks Keenan, i see that now, there is a knot just to the left of that hinge that has been giving me trouble.  :'(

Dana i'll try and take one tonight.

Thanks

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:15:28 pm »
Ditto. and deffinantly needs more bending around the fades.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:50 pm »
Tonight i will  work on the fades. It's amazing how much better you can see things when it's on the computer screen  :D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:53 pm »
  I agree John, Sometimes I will take several pics will tillering and study on the computer to see what I can't see in the shop.  I now  see that knott that you are talking about.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:34 pm »
John the reason I asked for a front view picture is that the front view profile should dictate the tiller.
Not every bow needs to bend right up to the fades. If your doing a parralel limb for about 2/3rds then tapering to the nocks
I don't believe it has to bend a great deal into the fades, with a profile such as that it should be more eliptically tillered. slight
bend in the inner limbs then more bend towards the tips. Now this is just my opinion, but too many times I see "Its not bending in the fades enough"

Different tillers for different profiles, I believe it was in badgers chapter in TBB vol 4. I'm sure lots of folks won't agree with me but I would probably get the outer limb bending more and leave the fades alone at this point. Not trying to confuse ya John just offering a different opinion :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:38 pm »
 Good thoughts Dana but the string angle will increase considerably by having the tips bending more. If the limbs bend more at the fades, the string angle will not change as much. As you said, differing thoughts and none nessesarily right or wrong.

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:04:40 pm »
Here are a few pics of the knot.

Thanks Dana.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »
That one differently needs to bend more in the fads and the outer 1/3 also ,it is only bending the middle 1/3.I usually leave the fads to last but at 23 he is at the last.time to get the rest bending,and like said watch that spot on the right limb.Probably won't take anymore off that. :)
           Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:10:49 pm »
Good thoughts Dana but the string angle will increase considerably by having the tips bending more. If the limbs bend more at the fades, the string angle will not change as much. As you said, differing thoughts and none nessesarily right or wrong.

What I'm thinking here Keenan is its a 70" bow and a 28" DL that leaves a lot limb to work with. It should bend into the fades but only slightly, if you get carried away at the fades and get a little set there it will translate into lots of string follow at the tips. Also if you leave the very tips stiff I don't see string angle being an issue on a bow that long. Good topic for an evening around the campfire at Pappy's eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
 Great explanation Dana, and great campfire discussion to boot. ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:02:46 pm »
Keenan mirrored what I was going to stay. I think more near handle wood should bend too. Pulling that stave to 28 in as is will probably result in a break. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!