Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4703357 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #13200 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:54 am »
Dang JW you made me tear up this morning,  :( I am sure you are right. :) Well winter is back in Tennessee, ice and a few inches of snow yesterday and last night, down in the low teens and not over freezing for a couple more days they say. :) :) I went to check on Sally and fluff up her dog house yesterday and she don't seem to mind a bit. I got started on my Blow horn for a big cow horn Shane brought me from FL. back during hunting season, I am going to try and make it like the one in the thread Below by Jodocus [Blowhorn] /side hole blow, we will see how it works out.  :-\ Also started a powder horn from a smaller horn, heck I don't even shoot a muzzle loader but thought it would be cool to have a powder horn. :) I know some of you have one [Eddie, Bob,JW ] and many more I would suspect, Pictures would be great to give me some ides on how I want to make it. I think I know but can't say I ever held one in my hand so I am just guessing. Stay warm.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13201 on: February 10, 2016, 07:54:57 am »
I'll get you some this afternoon and my horn Rum keg.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13202 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
Thanks Eddie, ya I knew there was something else you made  but couldn't remember what, got lots of smaller horns also that I have had for a long while and thought , about time to do something with them. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13203 on: February 10, 2016, 06:13:39 pm »
Pappy the horn buisness is stinky business  >:D :laugh: but I think you will enjoy it
bad weather time is good time for doing it, specialy the scratching out the pictures on them
peaceful  and enjoyable
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13204 on: February 10, 2016, 10:04:38 pm »
Got home from work too late to get pictures but promise to post some tomorrow. Horns by World famous people like JW Halverson and Chris Cade and a few of mine,(not world famous).
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13205 on: February 11, 2016, 03:58:00 am »
Yes it is Guy, not sure about the carvings though [ I have lots of weak suits but carving is one of my weaker ones]  ;) :) I do enjoy enjoying working on them. I got the end in my powder horn last evening and the hole drilled in my blow horn, it didn't sound bad at all, just need to work on the blow hole a bit to make it fit my lips a little better. ;) :) Thanks Eddie I would like to see the Rum keg for sure and powder horn to see just how it is supposed to work. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13206 on: February 11, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »
Lemme see what I can do for you, Pappy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13207 on: February 11, 2016, 08:44:45 pm »
Got mine up, Pap, look below.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13208 on: February 12, 2016, 05:07:05 am »
Thanks Eddie, I saw them and they were great. JW and Chris does some fine work for sure.  ;)I know mine won't look like that but got some very good ideas. Friday and I am so ready, seems work just get more and more hectic all the time, the time I get to just get away and forget about it is a major blessing for me and clears the mind. I got a lot of stuff planned, not sure how much I will get done but a man has to have plans. :) The weather is supposed to be nice today then turn very cold Saturday and Sunday, We will need a BIG fire. ;) Planning on working on my blow horn and powder horn, also work on my trade bow and I put a hide in the brains slurry last evening so I should have a full weekend. :) I need to get my hide smoker set up, it's getting the time of year to do some hides, cold and most important Dry. I like moving from one project to another as most that know me know that's why I never seem to get anything done. ;) :) :) Hope yall have a good weekend. See ya Monday.   :)
Life is Good. ;)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13209 on: February 15, 2016, 05:03:59 am »
What a great colddddddd weekend, believe it or not once you are in it for a while you really don't pay that much attention to it.  :-\ I got lots of little things done and had a good crowd show up just to hang out, got to love this bunch. ;) :) Here are some pictures of the weekend. I managed to get my powder horn/blow horn and Rum flask all put together and ready for some kind of finish work. I have been getting lots of ideas from Eddie's thread so we will see what I can come up with in the next few weeks. Also got 1 hide tanned ,wrapped tight and in the fridge ,it  just needs some stretching and drying. The cool part about pre smoking a hide is you can get away with doing that , so if you get tired pulling and drying you can just wrap it up in an air tight bag and get it out when you are ready to pull some more. ;) This is the start of my blow horn and sally loves the scraps that come off it.
 Pappy
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:58:47 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13210 on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:06 am »
Cold and snowy, Getting the plugs cut and fitted to my powder horn. Boiled the horn to be sure and get a good tight fit. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13211 on: February 15, 2016, 05:08:45 am »
Nice fit on the Osage cap/I used some brass pins also. :) Deer antler plug for the powder removing end. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13212 on: February 15, 2016, 05:11:40 am »
Drilling the hole for my blow horn and getting some brains ready to do some tanning. :) I already have 7 or 8 hides ready to tan so no racking and scrapping this week. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13213 on: February 15, 2016, 05:14:07 am »
Sally still searching. My trade bow getting a little love and Bill decided I needed an axe tree
for all my axes. Turned out nice. Thanks Bill. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13214 on: February 15, 2016, 05:16:30 am »
Doing some brain tanning, the brains were freezing so I needed a little fire in my tanning area. :) Several showed up just to hang out in the smoke. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good