Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21136 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »
Nice dog!  My brother had a rottie, and that dog was the gentlest dog I've known (other than the greyhound we had when I was a kid).  They get a bad rap, but what most people forget is that it's a bad owner that makes a bad dog. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 09:48:12 pm »
  Postman, that is one beautiful dog you had, looks like she was as loyas as can be, I doubt anyone would challenge her. Steve

Offline Postman

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »
Thanks badger! You guys are right - the owner makes the dog - I've seen psycho labs, setters, and my uncle had pomeranians that hunted me for sport as a child ;D

I can hold my pit mix like a baby, and have seen pure pits / rotts / dobies that are just as cool.

Taxtime fun fact - Mr. Doberman was a tax collector, and developed the breed to help protect and collect >:D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline johnston

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »
Some beautiful dogs in this thread. :)

Lane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 11:59:26 pm »
My old dog was feeling springy today so we made the 1/4 mile walk to the dog park.  Other than the inconsiderate slobs that don't pick up after their dogs, I think this dog park looks a lot like what I want for an eternal reward.  We have Rapid Creek running thru the park, lotsa trees, plus a really nice long wide open field for frisbees and chuck-its.  Real slice of what's nice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 12:07:49 am »
My old dog was feeling springy today so we made the 1/4 mile walk to the dog park.  Other than the inconsiderate slobs that don't pick up after their dogs, I think this dog park looks a lot like what I want for an eternal reward.  We have Rapid Creek running thru the park, lotsa trees, plus a really nice long wide open field for frisbees and chuck-its.  Real slice of what's nice!

That's awesome JW.  Mia's getting old enough where I'll feel comfortable bringing her to the dog park...unfortunately ours are nothing like yours....Fenced in dirt pit with a shade tree or two.
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
I was just about to go out to the garage this afternoon when I heard my dog barking.  Went to the front yard and found this poor dog standing there, with no collar or tags.  Looks like she hasn't had a decent meal in months.  By the looks of her claws she's been free range for quite a while.  So we took her around back and gave her some food and water, and then a shower since she smelled something awful. 

It's kind of funny, my girlfriend and I were just talking about fostering a dog again, and then this bum shows up :)  Guess we'll have to feed her a while until we can figure out what to do with her.  I think she's a Great Dane, possibly mixed with something.

Any suggestions for a name?  I'm thinkin "Stinky" :) Or possibly Hot Garbage.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
Looks like Bull Mastiff/Mix to me...don't see any Dane in Her....but who am I to say?? Just been Raising and Showing Dogs for 30 years....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »
You're probably right. You'd know better than I.  She just looks like a bag of bones to me :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »
Give Her three squares a day...and in a Month ...She'll be back to normal.....Then lets see some after Picture!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:30 am »
I don't want to know what all that dog had to go thru to find the right family, I'm just glad she did.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 12:35:04 pm »
Dogs are the best.  They have all teh qualities that we humans say that we have, but for dogs those qualities are just what they are....a dog.

I have a female boxer that just cannot remember that she is 70# and is not a lap dog.  So that means when I am sitting in my recliner I have a 70# snoring boxer in my lap....

I grew up with a doberman and as an only child......it was usually just she and I...all of the time.  At night when it was family time, she was considered part of that family!

Now I have children of my own and for us, our boxer Shelby is part of the family, jut not "the dog".

She will be 10 this fall and is slowing down a bit, but still healthy and hale!

For me, a dog is more than just a dog.....it must be the wolf in me.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:07 pm »
Hey Cameroo, maybe this dog will bring you luck on your next bow.  If you are looking for a name for the dog, how about "Arrow"? 

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:19 am »
Good idea JW :) But she's already left our hands.  She's gone to another foster home that has a fondness for Great Danes and other larger breeds.  I'm sure she'll be in good hands.  Our house is just too small to have a beast like that wondering around.  She made our lab look like a dwarf :)  Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of her in a month or two from now. 

It's a shame that some people are too cheap/irresponsible to register their dogs or at even put tags on them.  I can see it for farm or country dog, but in the city there's no excuse.  People like that don't deserve the privilege of having a dog in their lives.

Offline Badger

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:28 am »
Cameroo, you made my day taking in that guy. Just breaks my heart to see a dog in that condition. Please keep us updated with photos on his progress. Steve