Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60329 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: white ash build along
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 11:49:36 pm »
if i heat treat the belly, could i get away with a more d profile, still not a true elb shape, but maybe closer, and for the tips, how about either 1 or 3/4 across,
thankyou
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:33:32 am »
Heat-treating wood will not make it more elastic.  Keep the width down to 1 1/2" at the centre and make the shape a flattened D cross section.  Also make it at least 76" long for a 32" draw
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:24 am »
i heard this type of ash is already elastic, i was thinking it would help with the set problems i have heard about, but its 75 long, so i think i can make it ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 07:16:00 am »
This thread reminds me of the old joke about the tourist driving around Ireland. He gets lost and stops to ask the way...
" Ah to be sure, If I were you I wouldn't start from here..." ::)
But back to one of the questions, I wouldn't try making traditional ELB horn nocks out of any wood, I'd think the risk of splitting is far too high. Even horn has grain but it's much more homogenous than any wood.
Waterbuffalo horn is pretty cheap and easy to get hold off (well it is in the UK), failing that, an Ebony tip overlay would look really cool.
I did a V narrow light weight Ash ELB for  someone at the club who is just starting out, I didn't want to put in too much work so I did WB horn tip overlays, I heat treated the belly to keep the weight up and set down as it had ended up V narrow and underweight due to finding a crack in the stave late on in the process. It looked nice in the end and I named it the Needle :)
Bow making is great for teaching patience and humility... I was always a cocky impatient young git.
I'm now just a cocky impatient old git who has learned when to step back ;D
Del
PS.
There is a good pdf download on making Ash ELBs from Alan Blackhams backstreet bowyer site. Some of it will be stuff you know, but there is some great stuff about exactly the sort of bow you are trying to make.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:25:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
At what point do you primitive bowyers start heat treating..
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:06 pm »
I generally heat treat anytime after floor tiller but before the bow is stressed too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »
nice to know that wood tips wouldn't work that way :) before i tried it, besides a little work reducing it a little, i wont get much done until the weekend, so i have a week to gather information
and thanks for letting me know about that site, i think i have seen it before, but didnt relize it was for ash, so that helps so much more than you could realize, especially with dimensions given
thanks for the help everyone ;D i really appreciate it and value all your opinions
noel

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
Ill be watchinggggg :o good luck fish some great advise on here as said earlier by pat and dad I might need to go back and read it now and again to keep my self in bow building check, I sometimes have the urge to want to hurry allong. Also on  the heat gun I think I got mine for 12 dollars at harbor freight and it seems to be holding up well and I have put some hrs on it too :o Gets pretty cold down in the dungen ;D and most of the wood I seem to gather needs lots of heat straightening. Good luck

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »
the one im looking at is probably the same one at my local harbor freight  ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 06:54:42 pm »
the one im looking at is probably the same one at my local harbor freight  ;D

Good investment ;)
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 10:23:53 pm »
i wen to alan's website and the dimensions o got were 38cm wide/ 28 thick at handle, and 18/18cm at tips, this seems very small for a bow of this weight, but i don't have as much experience, what do you guys think of this. he also days heat treating wont help
i will be hopefully getting down close to these dimensions tonight with a caffeine pill in one hand and many a tool in the other >:D
any input is welcomed, o wont get it down to those dimensions just yet, and will leave room for adjustment
thanks
noel

Offline sailordad

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »
fish i think you have your metric measurements wrong

if its 18 cm at the tips,thats 7" wide
thats gona make for a whole lot of hand shock i would think
i think you meant to say 18mm,which is just under .75" at the tips
  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 12:41:11 am »
fish i think you have your metric measurements wrong

if its 18 cm at the tips,thats 7" wide
thats gona make for a whole lot of hand shock i would think
i think you meant to say 18mm,which is just under .75" at the tips
  ;)
ya thats what i meant ;D, does that sound reasonable? the warbows i have made so far all have been osage flat bow styles, so this design is new to me

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:15 am »
i just marked out those dimensions on the stave and they look more appropriate than i thought, i think i might go a little over that and while tillering and sanding get it down to that size, with the tips only being 18mm/18mm i think i might try to use deer antler for tips these are pictures of the ones im looking at now, they are from ebay and the description given is( Deer Antler Tips -2Pcs. Lot # 12  1 - 6 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 7/8"  1 - 4 3/4" X 7/8" X 3/4"   Great For Knife Handles  Walking Stick & Staff Handles  Many Other Primitive & Craft Uses  )
tell me what you think, they wouldn't be the full size of the ones pictured, i would of course shave them and cut them to shape
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 03:36:16 am »
i would post a pic of what i did tonight, but this might be easier, just remove a few pounds of wood from my last pic, hopefully tomorrow it resembles a bow so i can post more pics
all i can say about tonight is wood and METAL go awesome together       \m/ ;D\m/
noel