Author Topic: Judo Points  (Read 21614 times)

~JM~

Judo Points
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:27 pm »
Is there any way to make a judo style point or something that'll do the same trick?

Thanks.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Judo Points
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:26:22 pm »
I believe that Dano who used to post on the old board made redneck judos by gluing a .38 cartridge case over the end of the shaft, drilling holes through it at right angles to each other, and then epoxied pieces of welding rod through them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:47:33 pm »
One of the best small game points I have used in the "nutter" Simply thread a 3/8" hex nut on the taper at the point end of your shaft. I add a bit of super glue just for giggles. Not very primitive but very effective!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

~JM~

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 02:58:58 pm »
I believe that Dano who used to post on the old board made redneck judos by gluing a .38 cartridge case over the end of the shaft, drilling holes through it at right angles to each other, and then epoxied pieces of welding rod through them.

I sent him a pm, thanks.

One of the best small game points I have used in the "nutter" Simply thread a 3/8" hex nut on the taper at the point end of your shaft. I add a bit of super glue just for giggles. Not very primitive but very effective!

Pat, I tend to lose arrows...once in a while  ;D , do you find the nutter point easy to find?

thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 03:10:12 pm »
Mine all have red flu flus and I usually shoot them up into trees at squirrels. ;) The nut will help keep the arrow from burrowing under the grass or leaves somewhat but not like a judo or similar homemade point. Try to find the largest(OD) 3/8" nut you can or maybe even a wing nut. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 05:47:22 pm »
If you make your own self arrows,and haft points.Try these.I cut mine from old circular saw blades.You can build them any lenght or width to control weight,plus you can sharpen the tip for a cutting edge.I use these for hunting squirrels.the shoulders are not sharpened to give shock.They also aid in making the arrows very loss- resistant.I just haft them in a slot with sinew,and they're ready.You can make several in half an hour.                                                                                                                                                              Please forgive my sorry drawing. God Bless, PeteC                                                                                                                                                                                                                     /\
                                                                  /  \
                                                                 |    |
                                                             __|     |__
                                                             |_        _|
                                                                 |    |
                                                                 |    |
                                                                 |__|

What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 01:05:03 am »
JM, the Dano who posts here now is a different guy from the one I was talking about. Like Pat said, the nutter heads work well, or my favorite, just a spent cartridge case. A .38 or .357 case fits perfectly on an 11/32" shaft,  .30 carbine brass fits 5/16", and with cane, .30/30 or .30/06 hulls with the neck cut off often fit. They are tough, and don't slide under the grass, easy to find.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Woodeye

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 07:07:43 pm »
I've tried a couple different options for homemade Judos with various levels of success - some very low.  My recent shooter is the simplest of the bunch and it has survived many shots while out stump shooting.  I took one of my viburnum shoot arrow shafts with a self-nock, fletched with with red 4-inch feathers that were in the sale bin at the local hardware/sporting goods store and drilled two holes 90 degrees rotated about an inch back from the blunt self point.  I sized the holes first in scrap wood so that some 1.5 in finish nails fit firmly.  I simply pushed the nails in place and centered them across the shaft and gave it a go.

On the first shot into thick wet grass the nails bent back in a "V", now before every shot I just rotate the Vs so the open part faces forward - it has worked great so far.  It is a little light without any weight in the point and seems float up a bit but that is mostly my poor shooting skill I think and it dosen't matter that much as most of my shot are 10-15 yards.  The blunt tip is only now, after about 100 shots I'd say, starting to split - probably from impact but I think also from being wet so much.  I plan to wrap it with artificial sinew and coat the wraps and tip with barge cement.

Another option I'm thinking about is to mount a field point and drill that and insert the nails.

Keep it simple and keep it fun!

Woodeye
Waterford, Wisconsin

SteveO

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 10:21:09 am »
 There's a picture in this thread of my home made judos.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.msg12124.html#msg12124

Steve

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »
There's a picture in this thread of my home made judos.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.msg12124.html#msg12124

Steve

Even with the tongsbackwards they catch like judos ????

SteveO

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 10:13:50 am »
 No, they don't. Only judos catch like judos, but what are you gonna do? They do catch some, better than a regular blunt, and are pretty low tech.

Steve

~JM~

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 02:39:31 pm »
I used a washer on the end, it works very very well.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:27:20 pm by ~JM~ »

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 05:05:46 pm »
i made a fluflu and i put a nut on the end it looks good
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

~JM~

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:59:45 pm »
Pic?  Love to see it.