Author Topic: Any good Bear Bait ?  (Read 9478 times)

Offline cracker

Re: Any good Bear Bait ?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:01 pm »
Not to worry JW tourists are considered a nuisance invasive no tags needed no limit day or night any weapons dogs and trapping permitted.  >:D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 12:03:33 am »
Hardly worth the effort...all the tourist traps here skin 'em and turn 'em loose again.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kolton

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 12:05:46 am »
haha those r funny the bear tracks were near my house
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:10 am »
You better check to see if it is legal also.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline BearG

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 02:25:33 pm »
Miller Lite would work for this Bear
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »
He'd go broke keeping you baited. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
i would start out with cow heads and stake the down or tie to a tree and with old rotten meat and fish for a few week..just to get them started...then i would do sweet stuff..i used to live in washington when baiting was legal..i used to get day old bread,donuts,cakes...and i would use corn meal and grains too...fish can help...the one main thing i would do is put a grease trap in front of the bait...this can do some things for you..one is that the bear will get it on his feet and track the smell to other areas where bears are...the other is that you can get a good pad size from a print...this will get you multipal bears...just make sure you keep up on the bait....and you might have to figure a time frame for baiting..big boars will feed at night so you might have some fun with getting them in on the time you want...the only down fall about baiting is that you might get a resident bear that is a 1yr old that hangs out at the bait alot and eats most of the food....and if you can bait next to a river or creek to cut down sound this might help with hunting....i used to love baiting bears and wish it would come back...i don't know if this helps any...good luck...john

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »
ohh i got to say that if you use meat in the being put it in 5 gallon buckets in the sun with the lids off for 3-4 day..when you get ready to put the lids on you will have flys on the meat..trap the flys in and let the bucks sit in the sun for 2 weeks...when you go to the bait site and open the buckets jump back it will smell like the living dead..BUT,it will get the bears coming in...even if you puke it might help out...john

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 02:00:00 am »

Any and all of the afore mentioned baits will work.  Bears do have a sweet tooth, and doughnuts are a favorite.  Out west they use cow heads, and such. ;)  If you plan on eating this bear,  ::)  Uh, sometime in the future, don't leave any rotted meat, or such, as it will contaminate the flavor of the bear meat! :P  But bears are omnivores, and garbage connoisseurs.  But if it is by your house, by all means DO NOT BAIT IT THERE!!!! :o :o  I would be concerned for your dog or any other pets, if it is hanging around the house, not to mention damage to your house, if it smells something it wants.  Are you feeding your dog outside?  Don't, as that may be what is attracting it.  They have had to recently shoot a young Griz in Montana, that was hanging around a home, and killing the chickens.  It had been scared away, but kept coming back and killing chickens, so the Game commission got permission  to tell the homeowner to go ahead and pop it.  They have been putting warnings up all over the parks, and areas where there are bears.  My neighbors have been using pepper spray on some of the bears that come up on their porch to tear up their Bar B Que grill.  They told me when I finally get out there to be sure to get some Bear Spray.  I told them I didn't believe in it.  I have my own spray.  They asked what kind it was and I said "BANG,BANG,BANG.BANG," ;D ;D  Bar B Que grill safe and sound, Bear skin rug, for the front of the wood stove, Bear grease for baking, and making soap, and Bear steak for supper! ;)  8) Life is easier, if you look at it in a more simple manner. ;) ::)
     Got a problem Bear?  Bang! problem solved. ;)  See, people just try to make it too complicated. ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 03:10:11 am »
feederheads seem to work good for me.  anytime i put a corn feeder up a stupid bear tears the head off of it and runs off with it.  Im not sure if the corn feeder is necessary, they just seem to want the head.  Somewhere in SE OK a black bear has enough of my 6 volt batteries his den is prob air conditioned.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline Kolton

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »
thanks i found the tracks across the road from my house (about 100 yards away from my house) i was thinking about making a self on a tree and putting th bait on that, my dad and grandpa told me it was safe
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 05:26:25 pm »
Most states have laws prohibiting bait within 100 yards of any road, house or other area where the public is likely. Also, most require a permit.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »

they are recently out of hibernation and hungry, depending on where you are, and how your weather pattern has been, so just about anything will work.  Just be careful about the laws. ;)  Uh.....how far are you from town or other houses...... ::) ;D  Trigger finger, maybe it is the smell of the batteries, or the electric field it produces, like a shark will be attracted by certain electric fields ;)  Of course, if there was some way to ramp up the amperage...... ::) ;D  There was a picture on the internet that showed a grizzly that dug under a power box, and bit into the cable.
He didn't go anywhere. ;)  Well no where here on earth..... ;D

Wayne 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »
Shocking!   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »
i wish the 6v batteries had that kinda stopping power.  that danged ol bear cost me about 6 feederheafs and 300lb of corn that year.  never even touched the corn, just left it on the ground to mould
I have nothing witty to say.......