Author Topic: Winter project #2  (Read 26305 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Winter project #2
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:44 pm »
Keenan I just have to leave it alone for a while.  ::)  Thats hard for my pea brain to do sometimes.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 06:58:37 am »
Looking good Pat. I learned alot about sinewing bow in that Adam Karpowitz book.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
Yes Sir!

Mr. Karpowitz book is an Excellent source of Good information.
And it's a pretty good read, even for a novice like me.
Think its time for me to reread it.
His work is just Amazing.
I have some Mulberry drying out with an Ottoman Turkish bow in mind... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »
Well, I did a little more work on this little paddle bow. The sinew(2 layers of back sinew) was added on Feb. 5 and it has rested since.  Today I began reducing weight and get her to a low brace where she is now. I don't think I could brace it any higher without reducing more weight. Apparently, these little paddle bow have to be braced over the top of the nock instead of sliding the string below the nock on the limb.
  Anyway she is pulling about 50#+ @20". I pulled her to 24" but she hit the wall right about there. I guess the tips aren't kicked up enough.  She is almost 65# at 24".
    My tillering now consists of a tillering stick with the bow pulled to 11" and I'm using Eric's tiller Gizmo and a scraper to even out the limbs a bit. Then I put her on the tiller tree and exercise her 20 to 30 pulls to 20". Here she is at low brace...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »
That's looking really good Pat.
Gordon

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2012, 11:57:32 pm »
Looks to be a strong little bow ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:58 am »
Lookin' good Pat.  Why couldn't you slide the string loop up onto the tip when stringing it? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
I've been wondering when that baby was going to grace the pages again. Looking great pat! Looks like she will be a fun little rocket launcher and great ambush bow! 50 lbs at 20' So probably 65-67 at 25"   :o :o  That would put a serious hurt on your elk! Or your shoulder ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:06 am »
Its way too much for me to shoot now, Keenan. 45# to 50#@24 is what I was thinking.
  Clint, the limbs flare out only a few inches from the tips. The loop would have to be 4" long to get it to slide down these limbs.
  Thanks Gordon and Cipriano. I'll get a drawn pic up soon so you can really tell about her.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »
Looks good, Pat. Don't know how I missed this thread before. I love those wide limb bows. I can't wait to see it finished.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
Looks great, little speed demon in the works  >:D
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »
I've got her bending a bit more now. I still need to reduce some more weight and get the tiller a bit better. In the first pic she is braced at about 5", then pulled to 20" and the last two pics(flipped) she is pulled to 24" on the tree and is about 55#@24" now.
 I took her out and shot about 12 times. She really spits an arrow but I'll need to get some lighter spined arrows(or longer) to get better bow clearance.
  Here are a few pics...

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »
Ooooooh boy that is a lot of bending for wood! Great job!
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »
Looking at the string angle at the tips I think I can get her to 25" or maybe even 26" if she holds together. The 2 good layers of back sinew are what is holding her together...thank goodness!  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »
Great looking bend Pat!  Sinew is good stuff for short bows.

George
St Paul, TX