Author Topic: Winter project #2  (Read 26432 times)

Offline DRon knife

Re: Winter project #2
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »
Looking good Pat,give us a good step by step on the sinew backing effort,I'm VERY interested!! Ron

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:50 pm »
Pat, I haven't made a whole lot of bows but two of them have been paddle style bows, and yes, it takes a lot of wood removal before things start bending.  It's also easier than hell to develop a hinge once you are approaching weight, and then to miss weight correcting hinge/s.  I think I read somewhere that a limb twice as wide is twice as strong but a limb twice as thick is eight times as strong.  I like to keep that in mind when tillering paddle style bows, as you can expect the limb thickness to be about half of what you would expect for a yew bow with limbs half as wide, and that small amounts of wood removal across the entire width of the back can affect tiller in big ways (it just seems to take a while to get to that point, but all too easy to shoot past it on those extra wide limbs). Not to be that annoying, know-it-all newbie, but thought I would pass on my learning experience with the paddle stlye bows.  Looking forward to watching it progress.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »
CMB - what you said is spot on and to take it a little further than twice as thick limb is eigth times as stiff but only twice the weight....ummm....
Pat - the bow is looking good so far, i've got just the piece of yew that i've been saving to try a paddle type bow like this.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 02:26:02 pm »
Pat, I haven't made a whole lot of bows but two of them have been paddle style bows, and yes, it takes a lot of wood removal before things start bending.  It's also easier than hell to develop a hinge once you are approaching weight, and then to miss weight correcting hinge/s.  I think I read somewhere that a limb twice as wide is twice as strong but a limb twice as thick is eight times as strong.  I like to keep that in mind when tillering paddle style bows, as you can expect the limb thickness to be about half of what you would expect for a yew bow with limbs half as wide, and that small amounts of wood removal across the entire width of the back can affect tiller in big ways (it just seems to take a while to get to that point, but all too easy to shoot past it on those extra wide limbs). Not to be that annoying, know-it-all newbie, but thought I would pass on my learning experience with the paddle stlye bows.  Looking forward to watching it progress.

All thats very true. For this reason (and also that I am lazy) I like to make bows that are made of less than ideal woods more of an oval cross section instead of making the limbs alot wider...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:05:27 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »
I have the limbs shaped in a thin lenticular shape and will try to maintain that throughout the tillering process. Most of the example of paddle bows I've seen were lenticular cross section. I'll be working this bow pretty slowly and carefully, at least until I get it tillered out a ways then I'll begin adding the sinew.
  I'll be scraping her a bit this afternoon and as soon as she begins to bend noticeably I'll post more pics.
  Thanks for the comments, helpful hints and support.  I'm working on two bows simultaneously so I go back and forth between them depending on where I am in the process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:21 pm »
I got her bending a bit today...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »
Hey Pat,

If you don't mind show the sinew process too...

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:42 pm »
Looking good. What is the length on that thing?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
Pat that bend is looking perfect. Are you about ready to sinew that baby?

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »
Looking good Pat!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 01:08:27 am »
That's looking good ther Pat. Like that bows profile.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 01:11:46 am »
I think it is still way too stiff Keenan. I'd like to get it to at least low brace before adding the sinew. She has lost some of the reflex I added but will draw her up in reflex before adding the sinew.
  CMB, 47"t/t.  over 45"n/n.
 Rand, I will when time comes. I'm gonna use backstrap sinew. 2 layers of 3 or 4 back sinews
Thanks Bill and Cipriano.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 02:03:20 am »
Pat thats looking real good!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »
Looks great, nice bend on the tiller tree. cant wait to see it finished up.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:58 pm »
I did a little more scraping on this bow today. She is pulling 50#@17" now...

I have a question...I would like this bow to pull 50#@26" after the sinew cures if that is possible. I can go less on length and/or weight if needed.   With the flipped tips I still have good string angle at 17" of draw. Also, (she's pulling 50#@17", approx 77#@26"). Is it too soon to add the sinew? I will be adding 2 to 3 courses of backstrap sinew using hide glue and I want the sinew to draw the bow into reflex as it cures. I will set her up with backset while adding the sinew and while it cures.