Author Topic: Son's new bow  (Read 4360 times)

Offline possum

Son's new bow
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
well, I took my big knife out to a friend's house and chopped down a small tree, sapling really.  The bark was 1/4" thick! :o  So my stave ended up no bigger than my thumb in most places.  I used the knife to do the work on it using it to chop, thin and scrape.  There are quite a few knots on the edges of the bow but I did what I could do to minimize the ones I couldn't place off the bow all together.  It is 60" ntn, 1" wide at handle and 5/8" at nocks.  I don't know what the poundage is because it isn't dried yet.. close but not quite.

it even has a pithy center.
I'm thinking it's elm but I'm not real good at tree ID. ::)
Back to the drier so I can finish her.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Son's new bow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:06:35 pm »
Looks like he is happy and that is the important part.  Post a picture of the leaves and you can probably get a posative ID on the tree. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:31:29 pm »
Don't matter what it is, yer sons looks impressed, nice form too.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

SimonUK

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:46:02 pm »
These kids bows are hard to tiller. I tried to make one for my daughter - it was difficult to make the fades and tips bend without them getting dangerously thin.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:56 am »
I had rather do an adult bow any day than make a kids bow,Like Simon said they are tough.
Possum while it is drying if you bend a little back set in it,it will hold a lot of it.I use to do that with Hickory green when I wasn't in a hurry.Very nice looking bow and looks like the boy is happy
and that is what counts. :) :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:41:48 pm »
Really neat. If its elm, it should last for a long time. Got this bow and Austin bookmarked under Kid's Bows.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday