Author Topic: shooting left and right  (Read 3726 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: shooting left and right
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »
Like Mr. Flintwalker was hinting at, ::) do your arrows have real feathers or plastic Vanes? if it's the latter, that's probably part of your problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
I would like wood arrows instead of carbon but these were cheaper and I didn't have to pay for shipping lol.

Flint- I can't really afford to do that just yet, atlease not until I get a fletching jig. And no they are not real feathers.

Offline Adam

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:49 pm »
Bowman, I have gone to my local hardware store and bought plain old wooden dowel rods and used those as shafts.  They were only about 50 cents apiece.  You do have to sort through them to find some with parallel grain so you don't have runout.  I'm sure it's not the best shaft material, but I think they're plenty good for practice, at least for me.  As for fletching, I've picked up lots of goose feathers off the ground at a park.  Free is good!  For fletching, this link http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24583.0.html is a good thread on how to make a super "jig" out of a scrap of leather.  Other than a point, I've been able to make completed arrows for under a dollar.  They might not have been the prettiest in the world, but they work.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 11:07:20 pm »
Bowman, send me your address. I'm going to pass a little bit of it on.  >:D You are now officially indicted.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »
Fred- what??

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »
I'll send you some real feathers but you have to learn how to put them on. It's part of the addiction.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 11:50:25 pm »
Ohhhhh lol I live right across the street from a duck pond with lots of geese, ill save you the postage stamp. Thanks for the offer though.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:39 pm »
Adam- that's a really simple and great idea for a fletching jig, ill give it a try. Ill probably go to lowes in the next couple of days to pick up some dowels.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
Well then let's keep in touch and do some trading. I can always use some good goose feather for fletching. Tell them little neighborhood kids you'll give them  a nickle a piece for everyone they bring you. It keeps them out of trouble, teaches them how to work, and builds character.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:43 am »
Ill get my daughter to go out and pick some with me on thursday.