Author Topic: Christmas exchange rock...  (Read 3595 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Christmas exchange rock...
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:23:32 am »
I got a chance to spall some of the rock I got from Joe...I made something a little different and is a first attempt at making an effigy type...I got a shape in my head and ran with it..only thing is I kept messing with it and got carried away unfortunately changing size and symmetry.  I will get it on the next one..thanks for looking!

Russ

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:54:10 am by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Christmas exchange rock...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:49 am »
More pics..sorry about poor quality...

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:49 am »
Wow, Russ I have had that rock for a long time and never knew there was a stone shark in it!  What a nice surprise!  The rock came from a quarry in the Columbia River Gorge and I have always found it to be a difficult one to work.  Makes a tough and sharp hunting point.  Thanks for making this trade a fun experience!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:40 am »
Joe what is the rock and is it heated?  Looks like an agate or chalcedony. Nice shark Russ!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:06:28 am »
Russ, I see a Dolphin, and I can feel the warm ocean air.  Nice one and looks like some pretty hard material. Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:32 am »
Now there's something you don't see everyday:). That's a good sharfin!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:57 am »
Excellent  work, have seen various forms like that but have never tried them myself, nice job on yours.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:37 am »
You see I started out like a dolphin then for whatever reason I got that hawaiin shark fish hook  necklace shape stuck in my head and my hands was involuntarily chipping its own shape..kinda like that liar liar movie with Jim Carey...the pen is blue...lol I would think it is an agate and don't think it is hard at all...I love the way it flaked and spalled up nice!  I wish I had rock like that around here.  I bet there are some nice colors too!  Wolfwatcher Joe... I'm not done yet wait to see what I make from that stuff..lol I took some pictures of spalling it up but unfortunately I have to resize them.  Joe if u have more of that rock thats too hard for youu laying around maybe we can work out a deal... You know what it reminds me of is coral in a way...Anyway thanks again Joe I appreciate it!

BTW looking at it now I could have turned it into a hammer head..that would have looked awesome...

Russ
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:17:23 am by AncientArcher76 »

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »
Russ:  I can't remember the name of that agate and may have some more laying around.  I have a friend in Washington that has access to more of it.  I grew up with jaspers, agates, and obsidian so am partial to using it as apposed to the Texas rocks. Don't use obsidian much any more. There is a green jasper that comes from Mt. St. Helens that is my favorite although come of Eddie's coral ranks right up there.  At this stage in my knapping life all I make now is arrow points and skinning knives.  For skinners I prefer Piute agate that comes from Southwest Oregon.  Richardson's Rock Ranch in Central Oregon has been my source for it.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
 8)

dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »
that agate would look good slabbed and Fogged

Offline papoints

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
I think you nailed it Russ.  I like the flow it has.  Nice!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:36:06 am »
Thanks and will do..I agree Im sure slabbed and fog would be the way to go.. But Im not there yet..I will be getting a saw sometime in the spring..unless u want to give me one of yours Caveman... >:D

Russ

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 10:49:45 am »
I only have one saw! a 24 inch highland  park.

Offline 1442

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:39 am »
I found a box on the front porch this evening from knapperhead. He had it filled to the brim with some sweet looking rocks. Had a nice large nodule of georgetown, a keokuk spall and some more spalls I don't know the name of, but I call them KILLER!.
Knapperhead said the killer would nead heat and I just recently brought a turkey roaster so I got that out too. I aint never done no cookin rocks except for attempts in a toaster oven which either overcooked my bifaces or didn't seem to make a differance.
But anyway! here's the pics of this lovely batch of goodies: