Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 111526 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
Could you let us know why you think this is impossible? Have you tried doing similar yourself?

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:06 pm »
That has nothing to do with it. You made some claims, I called BS, now pony up. How long? A month? I think a month is enough.

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 11:01:20 pm »
are you talkong about a stiff handle here?....with a stiff handle bow thats not so easy to pull off as you might think....100lb bow will be quite thick and inflexible at 60" long, I wouldnt like to make 100 lb bow that short.....50-60lb you still have to get it just right not to get excessevie set....but 100 lbs will be difficult.....

The only thing difficult to do with a build like this is pulling it back.  Set is irrelevant, you just account for it.

Why? You make warbows. 100# should be nuthin' for you on the tiller.

Set is always relevant.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:05:22 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 11:02:33 pm »
I think I'm on my 3rd bucket of popcorn and looks like I'll be needing another one or two before this ones over  :laugh:

;)

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 11:04:36 pm »
I don't actually want your bow, but I know you want to try to keep it. ;)
 It's on.
 Still, could you answer the recurve question? Shouldn't recurving make it more stressed and likely to fail?

ps What is with the pyramid request? A flatbow is ANY kind of flatbow. I'll be deciding that.
 pps: It may be that you are saying a flatbow of any style, including a pyramid?

Has to be a  flatbow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »
    I will volunteer to build a 60" stiff handled recurve 100# drawing 26",  if I can find a piece of white oak straight enough and 4" wide, 1 1/2" thick, if not I will do a tri lam. Try to have it by next monday.

Offline adb

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:20 pm »
Well, it's mostly Marc that I'm calling out, but fine. I'll make you one of my static recurves if you can make this bow. You pay shipping if it comes down to it. Agreed?

Just so we're chrystal clear...

60" OAL
100#@26"
Stiff handled flatbow, pyramid style
No: recurves, flipped tips, sinew, statics, composite horsetype bows, or anything else. A flatbow.

Kinda strange you want one of my recurves. I thought yours were top shelf?

Agreed?

Offline adb

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 11:08:06 pm »
    I will volunteer to build a 60" stiff handled recurve 100# drawing 26",  if I can find a piece of white oak straight enough and 4" wide, 1 1/2" thick, if not I will do a tri lam. Try to have it by next monday.

Has to be a flatbow. No recurves.

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:27 pm »
  I built a whole stack of 270# to 300# bows a few years ago that were 72" long, recurves were just dummied on them and not doing anything, They ended up taking a lot of set and loosing a lot of power from being way overdrawn but not one of them broke. They were all flat semi pyramids.

Offline adb

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:57 pm »
I saw that show on TV. Wasn't that for mythbusters or something similar, or rebuilding history? Didn't all the ones I saw on the show break? Or was that for something else?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:30:36 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:20 pm »

This is great, but it's Marc who I'd like to see build this bow.

Don't worry Pat, our bet still stands.

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 11:31:28 pm »
  That wasn't mine. Mine was for discovery channel show called doing Da Vinci. It was for a giant crossbow that looked like a ferris wheel and was operated by a man walking on this giant hampster wheel. The show has not been aired yet but may one day in the future. The 25 footer I built for the catapult was shown.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 11:37:37 pm »
Could you let us know why you think this is impossible? Have you tried doing similar yourself?

One thing you may not know Pat is that Adam works for the school board in Alberta and he is starting to think this is his classroom and as such can generate debate with his "students"

Now I said this thread has been highjacked enough.  Don't make me start throwing MY weight around here.  Start another thread.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 11:43:11 pm »

One thing you may not know Pat is that Adam works for the school board in Alberta and he is starting to think this is his classroom and as such can generate debate with his "students"

Now I said this thread has been highjacked enough.  Don't make me start throwing MY weight around here.  Start another thread.

Huh??? I live in Saskatchewan. I'm retired from a career in the medical field.

Offline adb

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:44 pm »
Yup... I agree. Should start another thread. Let's call it... The Showdown  ;)