Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 350956 times)

Offline sleek

Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #1140 on: September 05, 2015, 01:04:28 am »
Hey.... I like that idea. Dont ship until the folks running it or the participants say its good to ship. Then and only then will you get the address to ship to. And the ship on date is brilliant.  I think you should post a finished bow by a certain date or you dont receive either....special exceptions can of course be made but with 6 months to build, seriously.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #1141 on: September 05, 2015, 01:20:34 am »
I edited my previous post a touch, but the idea is the same.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #1142 on: September 05, 2015, 01:59:12 am »
Bubbles, I do like that idea. I really like Mullets invitational too.
I'd be into helping for next year based off either of these.
Maybe even a combination of both?
Also, probably not mentioned enough, thank you Jojo for running this and picking up others slack.
Bit of a gong show, but it was out of your hands. I personally had an awesome experience. Cheers

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1143 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:42 am »
I was bummed I joined the site after this year's trade was already underway and didn't get to participate. I think it was probably better that I missed this one. I could use another year of practice. I'm fairly new to building(1.5 yrs.), but it occupies all my free time and am impressed with with my progress. I am looking forward to getting involved in the next one. I can make a decent bow, but will it impress a professional builder with 30 yrs of experience? That concern can be wonderful inspiration or stressful enough to run to mexico and change your name.

Maybe dividing the trade into two groups might be a possible solution to some of the current issues. While I would love to receive a bow built by one of the master builders around here, I know that there's no way I can produce a bow that artful and polished... yet ;).  If there was a beginner's group and a veteran's one it would be easier to distinguish if someone intentionally cut corners and keep the trades more equal. The division might not even have to be based on skill level. There could be a "stock" class and a "modified" class or something along those lines. I know if I built a good shooting bow or not, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

The invitational is a really cool idea, but I don't think it should replace the current trade. It could be an additional trade that runs opposite of the open registration trade. After a member proves himself in the open trade he gets his invite for the off season trade. Further motivation to give it your all.

On a side note: Even when people are upset around here it's hard to tell. Compared to the rest of the internet, this site has some class. The member's here are very mindful of what they say in public, and more importantly how they say it. This is the only message forum where I still participate. Thanks for that everyone.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1144 on: September 05, 2015, 09:08:53 am »
Its too bad there has to be 3 pages of discussion regarding the best way to get effort out of entrants. The ol' 80/20 rule in effect. 80% of the rules apply to 20% of the entrants.

I keep reading about how this is meant to make people better, to push the envelope, to create the best bow they can and so on. Yet for years running I see the same people make the same hinges and frets. Get better if that is what this is about or walk away!

Eddie's idea is the only valid idea I've read. Holding 50-60 bows is unrealistic and expensive. Just to try and prevent dead beats from being who they are. Eliminate them rather. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #1145 on: September 05, 2015, 11:20:41 am »
Mo_coon-catcher texted me. Thanks Kevin.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

« Reply #1146 on: September 05, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »
So mo coon has received and doesnt need a make up bow?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #1147 on: September 05, 2015, 06:28:33 pm »
Springfield, MO

Offline sleek

« Reply #1148 on: September 05, 2015, 07:03:30 pm »
So, what gives then? Im always willing to give benefit of the doubt. Bu im confused here.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #1149 on: September 05, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
He can get on reddit but not PA? He is avoiding and attempting to save face. It's all a bunch of bullshit.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1150 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:13 pm »
huisme posted this on another site 11 days ago... hmmmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/locustbows/comments/3idsuz/yes_im_still_alive_and_building_but_my_computer/
He can get on reddit but not PA? He is avoiding and attempting to save face. It's all a bunch of bullshit.

>:D >:D >:D !!!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1151 on: September 05, 2015, 09:32:28 pm »
So one of the guys who volunteered to help run the trade is MIA and didn't send a bow?

Ain't the first time.  Bevan Richards from Nebraska pulled the same stunt when he ran his Bow Trade. 

I enjoyed almost everything of the trade I ran in cooperation with Bowman53.  But I also found that a very few defaulters can seriously tax a person's patience. 

I believe that prior trade runners need to create a "Chief's Council" that they are required to sit on for a period of years afterwards and they can veto names of defaulters and whiners.  And secondly, ONE PERSON RUNS THE TRADE. Yes it is more work, but there is no missed communications and less is likely to fall thru the cracks.  And all private messages should be saved. How that would work, I do not know considering the limited storage space under a username.  And lastly, I wonder if the trade runner should be anonymous, allowing this person to be a hardcase.

My two cents.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #1152 on: September 05, 2015, 09:45:48 pm »
Brillian! And instead of pms, have an email that the password gets passed down to each head honcho each year.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1153 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:22 pm »
When i ran the xmas trades i saved pms by printing them out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1154 on: September 05, 2015, 10:48:28 pm »
So one of the guys who volunteered to help run the trade is MIA and didn't send a bow?

Ain't the first time.  Bevan Richards from Nebraska pulled the same stunt when he ran his Bow Trade. 

I enjoyed almost everything of the trade I ran in cooperation with Bowman53.  But I also found that a very few defaulters can seriously tax a person's patience. 

I believe that prior trade runners need to create a "Chief's Council" that they are required to sit on for a period of years afterwards and they can veto names of defaulters and whiners.  And secondly, ONE PERSON RUNS THE TRADE. Yes it is more work, but there is no missed communications and less is likely to fall thru the cracks.  And all private messages should be saved. How that would work, I do not know considering the limited storage space under a username.  And lastly, I wonder if the trade runner should be anonymous, allowing this person to be a hardcase.

My two cents.

A stroke of genius!
JW, I didn't know you had it in ya!

Anonymous is simple, he is selected privately through pms from PA moderators. If they would help out a touch. Then the officiater creates a blank user profile using "BOWTRADE " every year. The password will be passed back to the moderators after the close of the trade. This way it can be passed on to the next year's officiant. The official can participate in the trade as long as he uses his normal login for regular communication. What do you think? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!