Author Topic: white oak board bow.. full draw on page 2  (Read 11823 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: a question about Boo backing
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:56 am »
I would not use oil on a belly before toasting. It helps prevent scorching and I think that's what you want. I oil wood to be bent or straightened but not for belly tempering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
Re: a question about Boo backing
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
You'll probably want to toast the heck out of the belly with a heat gun and some oil - Crisco before you start tillering.  It'll help to compress the belly cells to reduce set.  White oak is notorious.
i just finished toasting the belly and put a nice reflex on the limbs.  when cool i will get back to tillering.

thanks for the suggestions

i think i may have a winner here i haven't tested the poundage but i have it bending nicely along the length of both limbs and i am taking my time *(for once)
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline paco664

Re: white oak board bow.. full draw on page 2
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:10 pm »
with much thanks to all who commented and offered advice and special thanks to parnell...  we have success *(ish)...   just need to put a finish on it..
white oak board
70" ttt
67.5 ntn   ~45@29"  i know the tiller isn't perfect but i had it CLOSE *(closer than it is now) and screwed up and ended up losing 11lbs of draw by chasing perfect..

and the money shot... excuse the tattoos and messy house *(and dose of ugliness you'll get if you look at my face)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:13 pm »
Loosing 11 pounds kinda sucks, but the end product looks good. The tiller may not be perfect but its pretty even.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:31 pm »
Paco, If your draw length is 28" you could shorten both limbs so that your working limb to nock is 28". That would get the draw weight back up a bit. Looks like limbs are bending too much mid limb. On board bows I keep
the limbs exactly the same thickness from fade to tips. I'll start at about a half inch thick on a 6 ft bow with stiff handle. It will floor tiller right off. Then depending on draw length remove more belly evenly. The elliptical tiller will come from the tapered side profile. I use a power hand planer to get that even thickness on boards and fine tune the tiller with belt sander or scraper. Just a tiny change in thickness variation will give you hinges or wip tilled ends.  cheers fiddler49

Offline paco664

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:31 pm »
Paco, If your draw length is 28" you could shorten both limbs so that your working limb to nock is 28". That would get the draw weight back up a bit. Looks like limbs are bending too much mid limb. On board bows I keep
the limbs exactly the same thickness from fade to tips. I'll start at about a half inch thick on a 6 ft bow with stiff handle. It will floor tiller right off. Then depending on draw length remove more belly evenly. The elliptical tiller will come from the tapered side profile. I use a power hand planer to get that even thickness on boards and fine tune the tiller with belt sander or scraper. Just a tiny change in thickness variation will give you hinges or wip tilled ends.  cheers fiddler49
thanks for the tips i'll apply those to the next one... i may shorten these limbs a bit more to get the power back right now they are 33 5/8ths from center...  i stained the bow and applied a rawhide strip wrap on the handle *(which will probably look like spit when it dries but i'm tryin ya know.. :P) and have to wait for that to dry...

i flexed it like a dummy and thought i had cracked something... then remembered the rawhide/knox glue drying and was able to breathe again after a few mins...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
Way to go!  That's about a million times better than my first one.  You done real good!  Have you sent an arrow flying out of it yet?

1’—>1’

Offline paco664

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »
oddly enough...

went today to buy a couple arrows and pick up some spectra to spin me a string and when i got back it was laying on the tile floor where it had fallen..  there were 3 cats *(my wifes) looking at me with guilty eyes...

i strung it and gave a few light pulls and it broke in half on the upper limb... apparently the cats knocked it over and it cracked something when it hit the ground *(or it was all my fault for building a crap bow)

anyway... it's toast...

anyone want stir fried cat with lo mein noodles?

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 04:19:16 pm »
I think the cats did you a small favor. ;)

Offline paco664

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 04:21:18 pm »
I think the cats did you a small favor. ;)
i guess.. i dunno...

there may be an "accident" around the house in the near future... >:D

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
Well show us where it broke and we'll decide from there.

Offline paco664

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »
Well show us where it broke and we'll decide from there.
I called swmbo for a photo and it's already gone en la basura...

I should have taken photos earlier

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 08:05:07 pm »

anyone want stir fried cat with lo mein noodles?

I think I've had that :( Tough about the bow.

Offline paco664

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »
i honestly ain't that fluffed up about the bow... i am out 6$ for the wood and it was 100 times better than the last one i attempted...

i'll buy another board and read and absorb more info from you guys...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
Well, I always suspect grain run outs on boards.
Straight grained tip to tip is the best with a ru  out or 2 allowed depending on the weight of the bow.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!