Author Topic: What exactly is "set?"  (Read 7661 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

What exactly is "set?"
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:02:02 am »
Could someone out there explain (or, define), in layman's terms, "set" (as it relates to bows, of course). I think I know what it means, but I am simply looking for some clarification. Thanks!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PatM

Re: What exactly is "set?"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:04:51 am »
Compressed(and likely stretched) wood cells that have exceeded their elastic limit.
 A couple of guys will be along soon to rant about the difference between set and string follow.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
Thanks. Is it fair to say that as a result of "set" a bow limb could then not fully snap (for lack of a better word) back into shape after a bow has been shot and then un-braced? In other words, the limb starts to take on a slight bend.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:33 am »
Compressed(and likely stretched) wood cells that have exceeded their elastic limit.
 A couple of guys will be along soon to rant about the difference between set and string follow.

I got your back Pat... ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:31:33 am »

I got your back Pat... ;)

;D   ::)   ;D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:01 am »
 SET IS COMPRESSED WOOD SELLS It comes from 3 things. Once there compressed the wood sells can't be reconstructed. ONCE SETS THERE IT'S THERE

(1)  unseasoned wood to start with. Poundages not a problem it the woods seasoned.
 (2) wrong design for (BOW) wood or design aplyed wrong.
 (3) poor tillering, to much wood removed to quicky. Fast tillering can = SET  SLOWWWWW DOWNNNNN when tillering there's no bonus for finishing quickly.

I promass you when you finsh a tillering your bow your the day. Leave it untill tomorrow when you come back. I promass you ,you'll see places need attention.

String follow is wood cells not destoryed as much as it would if it takes set. The amount of cells destoryed (compression) predicts the amount of set takes place.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
Got it. Thanks.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:40 am »
String follow = natural deflex. Set = deformed wood from being stressed.

Rant over.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:48:22 am »
Set is the permanent deformation of any spring due to it being stressed.
It even happens in the steel valve springs in your car.
If you want a bow with no set, then don't bend it >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »
  Nothing to add except I have always wished I could nail down wether or not or how much of set is contributed to stretching of the back. Sawing a bows in half a few times does suggest that the great majority is in compression, but I think some woods do stretch, can't prove it and not sure it really matters.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:04 pm »

Rant over.
If it's natural how can it be string follow?  Strings don't grow on trees and bend them.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »
  Nothing to add except I have always wished I could nail down wether or not or how much of set is contributed to stretching of the back. Sawing a bows in half a few times does suggest that the great majority is in compression, but I think some woods do stretch, can't prove it and not sure it really matters.

That is likely dependent on how much resistance to compression that the bow has. I can se an extremely compression resistant wood stretching a softer elastic backing to a greater degree.
 If you backed Ipe with Yew sapwood or Elm for example.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 01:21:21 pm »

Rant over.
Nah !
The commonly accepted understanding and usage is:-
String follow is temporary additional deflex after a day's shooting and will recover over a few hours unstrung (or overnight).
Set is the amount that doesn't recover, e.g It's permanent.
Del
(I'm happy to be corrected if someone has a better definition)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:22:41 pm »
Here comes Jawge....

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »
Well shiza, if im wrong id like to know.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others