Author Topic: New bow shop help please.  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Scottski

New bow shop help please.
« on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:32 pm »
Ok guys I need some help on building a new bow workshop. Cheaper is better lol. I would like to keep it under 3,000.00 $. How did you build yours or any plans are welcome. I don't have a good idea yet as to how I want to build one. I can't buy one and put it in the back yard cause I have a big fence up. So that is not an option. Would like to hear some ideas. Thanks.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Chief RID

Re: New bow shop help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:17 am »
This should be a great thread. I would think lots of folks have dealt with this issue. I will be watching.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
My shop is part of my pole barn style garage.  I had them extend it 8' off the garage when it was built.  Its to small.  My dream is to one day build a shop about 24'x24'.  I have some ideas for it;  a wood stove for free heat, a vise securely mounted on a post in the floor for debarking staves, lots of outlets, and targets set in one corner to allow indoor shooting.

When you start building your shop take lots of pictures and keep us updated.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:01:34 pm »
I understand the need for a shop, I worked in a 5X7 corner of the garage and out in the yard for years. When I moved to my current home in the country, one requirement was the land had to have room for a proper shop. I built a 28X30 with half for lawn and garden equipment, the other side is my bow shop. the whole shop cost me 19K 10 years ago.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:27:22 pm »
I walled off a corner of the basement for mine, its probably 12 x 14 or so. I love it except for one thing, the mess and the dust. I have a ceiling mounted filter that helps a lot. I don't like carrying garbage cans full of knife curls out through the house either, just another mess to clean up. I guess Im suggesting you find a place outside or in a garage. Eventually we will sell our place and buy another with more land so I can do the same as Eric. Build a proper building to work in and store lawn equipment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »
Make sure you count for electricity for sure and the luxury of water.  Build it your self.  it will probably be much cheaper and better made.  Go to places like Habitat for Humanity for doors, windows etc. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:51:40 pm »
I use the third bedroom in my house for bow work only.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:54:05 pm »
As JEb said - -  I would love to have water in the shop -  a bathroom is a luxury - - but a slop sink would be glorious. 

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 10:32:36 am »
Water! Didn't think of that. Think that would be nice to have.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 12:35:57 pm »
 "I can't buy one and put it in the back yard cause I have a big fence up. "   but you can build a small (shed) shop there...?   ???
Can't build anything to big but I would go with a simple roof like a slant design.  And I would definitely go with a high ceiling 10' if you can that helps with dust control and shelves up top for storage and stave drying as its warmer.   Right now I'm in the garage and hate it the lighting is bad and a 8' ceiling, no heat.  Electricity rates have gone up here by 15-20% over the next 3 years.  Look for sales on lumber or salvaged material like doors and windows.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:40 pm »
I am in the attic above my garage. 20 X 20. My only complaint is the 4 foot ceiling height on the front and back walls. It is also a pain to get wood up, as I have 14 foot ceiling in the garage. I have a air conditioner for the summer and a small heater for the winter. I want a wood stove up there. Water would be great, as well as a pisser.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »
A friend had a shop with no pisser. He got a length of hose and stuck a funnel in one end. He pushed the hose through a knothole in the wall. Nailed the funnel to the wall. Presto instant urinal. Did I say he was from Newfoundland >:D

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »
The funnel and hose idea would be great if you had enough rain to get rid of the pee smell.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »
A friend had a shop with no pisser. He got a length of hose and stuck a funnel in one end. He pushed the hose through a knothole in the wall. Nailed the funnel to the wall. Presto instant urinal. Did I say he was from Newfoundland >:D

Let me guess he drank to much beer or coffee.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 03:04:11 pm »
Don't forget good quality lighting.  I prefer the long fluorescent bulbs myself