Author Topic: A trophy, for me  (Read 6223 times)

Offline hedgeapple

A trophy, for me
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:30:35 am »
Read to the end for the side storyWell, it's not a "trophy" size deer, but it's a trophy to me.  I don't hunt deer to harvest the deer of a life time.  I hunt deer for the hunt of a life time. 

I was settled into my stand at 6:15pm, this evening.  A the thermocell turned on, fanny pack, quiver and water hanging within reach and a fresh dip in my cheeks.  The light 3mph wind was in my face.  Hopes were high and so were my senses.

Starlings started coming in to the sunflower.  Some gnats were buzzing  about, but I knew the thermocell would move them away in a few minutes.  A squirrel jumps in a tree 20 yards in front of me.  I watch him for a moment.  The sun starting to setting at 4 o'clock just behind my right shoulder.  Looking west I can see a flock of mosquitoes dancing in the evening light about 10 feet from me. The thermocell is doing it's job.

I feel/hear a squirrel jump into my tree about 6 feet above my head.  I don't even look up.  What's the worst that could happen, he jumps on my head? It's just a squirrel doing his squirrel business and it would make a good campfire story.

Two hundred starlings flush from the sunflowers to fly into the trees in front of me   I hear a THUMP...THUMP like a deer hoof behind me--dead down wind.  Slowly, I'm turning my head to look over my right should then my left shoulder, knowing all the while if that was a deer, I'm probably busted.  The starlings flush again.  This time moving down the fence line to my right.  I think, the game is up.  The deer moved away, flushing the birds.  That's when I hear the buzzing under my butt. 

There's a bee literally under my butt.  I think he's in the tubing of my hanging stand or maybe the handing ladders.  At any case, he was close enough that I could pet his furry little back.  Ok, he's doing his bee business and I'm doing my hunting business, so we'll just coexist for a while. But, it was dis-concerning, none the less.

I see the starlings fly into my Quail Unlimited plot patch of sorghum and foxtail.  A few minutes later, they flush.  Hmm. I see a deer jump the fence from my neighbor's farm onto my place.  Historically, deer cross the fence there.  It' about 4 inches lower than the rest of the fence.  I back my bush hog up to the fence at this crossing and keep limbs trimmed to facilitate their crossing onto my farm.  I even hung a new ladder stand about 20 yards from this crossing this week.  But, wind direction prevented me from hunting this evening

The bee is still buzzing up my butt.

Through a little patch of black locust I see the deer is a little suspect of the new bush hogging and the stand. He circles wide of the stand, tail twitching.  Then he goes in for a sniff.  All is good.  He meanders toward me. At about 30 yards out, through the locust I see him quartering left of my corn feeder.  He comes within 18 yards but is moving and there's a couple limbs to shoot through.  "Be patient," I tell myself.  He circles within spitting distance under my stand.  I don't want to take the downward shot between his shoulders.  BE PATIENT.  He circles to the feeder.  Now I have a 'going away" shot.  BE PATIENT, wait for the broadside shot.  He takes a couple more steps and is a 30 degree quartering away shot, but his head is toward me.  Just then one of my dogs bark in the kennel (probably at a bunny) and takes a couple steps while looking in that direction.  Now the angle is 15 degrees and 10 yard, maybe 12 away.  I think to myself, "I'm going to harvest this deer."  I pick a spot behind the shoulder.  The deer is starting to shed it's summer coat so there's a great patch in the red hair.  I begin my draw.  My sting hand shakes a little. I shout, "NO," internally and put more pressure on the sting.  I release.  I did short draw about 1 1/2.  I hit farther back and I wanted.  I was sure I cut the liver and probably the opposite side lung. It was 7:05

I watched the deer run the 100 yards clearing at the end of my plot field.  Just as he was going over the rise I thought I saw him stumble before he  went into the cedar thicket.  The arrow was stuck out of his side.  What damage I didn't do with the shot would be amplified with the razor sharp broad head  while he ran through the thicket.

The deer was over the hill at 100 plus yards.  I gathered my gear and headed to the house.  The deer needed to lay down and needed a beer.

I called my deer hunting buds Brian and Mike (H) to give them a report.  Voice mail for both. I waited until 8:45, the sun was have on the horizon to look for my deer.  H called back just as I was stepping into the cedar thicket.  He wished best luck in finding my deer.  We're talking as I walk. "H, I see white. what is that?"  It was my deer.  H can track a deer 200 miles away. Just as I had thought I cut the liver (it was mush) and nicked the far side lung.

It was a  barely 6 pointer ( small brow tines) in partial velvet.  I call that a trophy.

SIDE STORY:  3 or 4 years ago, at the Tennessee Classic I brought down a mostly rotted osage stave ( found this log on the farm, I had owned the farm for 10 years and I didn't cut it).  I thought some crazy person might see a bow in it.  The first crazy person I meet (he's making a "hole in the limb" bow" from some twisty piece osage, is Blackhawk.  I asked him if he wants the stave.  The next March, Blackhawk shows up at my Moon Tree Gathering.  I asked him if he ever make a bow out of that rotten stave.  He says, "Yes. I'm done with it you. It's yours,"  And what a beautiful bow it is.  From that point on, my goal has been to take a deer on Moon Tree Farm with the Blackhawk bow, "Bluegrass Hole".  Today, I did just that.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline chamookman

Re: A trophy, for me
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:55:21 am »
Congrats - great "Rest of the story" story ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:30:48 am »
Very well done, loved the story. Congrats. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:20:12 am »
Good read. Congrats on the harvest. Thanks for sharing!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:00:08 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:39:41 am »
Nice trophy, good shooting and a fine story Dave. Excellent start to your deer season, enjoy your well earned venison.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 07:42:57 am »
Nice job!  Can we see some pics of the bow that did the deed?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 07:43:28 am »
Great job Dave!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:39 am »
YES!!!  YES!!! YES!!!! Man dave..im prob more excited than you..lol   :laugh: thats so friggin cool ya got a deer with that bow. Im glad ya reached your goal with it...just think that bow lay on the ground in a log on your property for prob a couple decades at the very least,n maybe more. And it has resurrected into harvesting meat on the same very ground. How cool.  8)

Congrats congrats congrats!!!! :)

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 08:15:41 am »
Great deer, great story!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:26:14 am »
Way to go Dave!  I can't wait to hear the story in person late at night at the next moontree gathering. 

And good job Chris for making a weapon capable of killing a deer. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:15:52 am »
Nice work!  Here is the link to the original bow post:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38818.0.html

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 11:16:54 am »
Thanks guy.

Blackhawk, I actually shot that deer about 200 yards from where that old osage log was laying.  Thanks, once again for the fine bow. The picture with the deer head is not the deer I shot with the bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
Congratulations, Dave. That's a really cool story.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »
Great story, cool bow and what a trophy!  Congratulations.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »
Great story. I was sure the bee was going to sting you just at the climax. Good thing it didn't.