Author Topic: Condors and lead  (Read 21120 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Condors and lead
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »
Willie, as previously stated, science based discussion works by you providing information proving your stance. Saying it isn't true because someone in the past has provided inaccurate information is silly. I can also provide lots of information about botched studies, that doesn't mean all studies are incorrect. There are flaws in studies, they are often times brought to light by further studies. This is not just an issue that is impacting Condors, but waterfowl as well as raptors.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline willie

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:43 pm »
Jojo-
Not saying that anything is not true, just saying that you can "prove"  anything with unlimited resources, The question is.... does that "proof" always mean that the recommendations of those that sponsor the research must be taken? The guy that documents the lead poisioning would not be my first choice to set overall policy. Some types of  accommodations are much more effective than others, for tax payers, stakeholders and the resource it's self.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
Jojo-
Not saying that anything is not true, just saying that you can "prove"  anything with unlimited resources, The question is.... does that "proof" always mean that the recommendations of those that sponsor the research must be taken? The guy that documents the lead poisioning would not be my first choice to set overall policy. Some types of  accommodations are much more effective than others, for tax payers, stakeholders and the resource it's self.

So why the change to the use of Steel shot for waterfowl, in two countries? More false information? If it were up to the birds themselves, they WOULD be gone. It is only because man stepped in that there are any left. Kinda like wolves, and Bison.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline willie

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:23 pm »
It is only because man stepped in that there are any left.

you must mean that "effective policies were enforced". I would venture the opinion that if man had never stepped in in the first place, the ducks would be much better off, but we  cannot do much about that, it's water over the dam.

I am not sure if you are speaking "in general" about duck management, or that you have some evidence that the steel shot rule actually made a difference.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »
Jojo-

So why the change to the use of Steel shot for waterfowl, in two countries? More false information? If it were up to the birds themselves, they WOULD be gone. It is only because man stepped in that there are any left. Kinda like wolves, and Bison.

I hate to interrupt this off topic conversation but I must.
To many of my threads have been canceled by moderators
for this reason. My threads, that I guess, I failed to stop
the hijacking in. So this is at least my third attempt.
Stay on topic.
thanks Zuma
Ps no quacking creatuers etc,
It's CONDORS
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:48:25 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 11:24:40 pm »

Very informative, J.W. .  As for the gut pile, how would the lead get there, unless the animal, in question was gut shot?  I would think the gut pile would be fine, for the scavengers.  The lungs, yeah, bury those, but unless the animal was gut shot, I don't see how lead would be there.  As for ducks eating lead, the only ones, that would be likely to eat, lead, would be the diving ducks, and not the non diving, like Mallard, teal, canvas back, golden eye, etc.. 

Kinda hard to shoot solid copper, out of a muzzle loader, and the wear on rifles, is greater, as there is no give, as in a lead core, bullet.

Personally, I really don't want to shoot solid copper out of my rifle.

Yeah, the Condor, deserves to at least get a chance to survive in a much changed world, but I just don't see there being that much lead available to be eaten by them, before something else gets the "lost" game.  Just my opinion. 
                                     Wayne

I have yet to see someone separately pile the contents of the gut cavity and the pneumo-thoracic cavity, even though in mammals they are two separate chambers.  So, we use the generic term gutpile for the "innards".  Whether it is a gutshot deer or one hit in the boiler room.  High resolution digital x-rays are showing that the lead fragments are traveling further than anticipated and can appear in the liver, stomach, etc in some shots.  When I come to bury the gutpile, I am not going to pick and choose, it's all going in together.  Once my bullet/roundball stops moving, I do not want it killing anymore. 

Per conversation with representatives at Barnes, a solid copper round does not cause any more wear to a steel barrel than a jacketed bullet. 

If you don't want to shoot copper, don't.  But then please consider burying the gutpile.  Or (ew) bagging it up and bringing it out!   >:D

I am questioning whether it was really good science in the first place that we see so often.

In science, publish or die.  When you publish a paper, it goes into a journal or other publication that then is distributed to other people in your field.  You publish what you intend to research, the methodology for your research, then the details of what you learned from the research, and your conclusion.  It's wide open, you gotta support your claims.  And the way you "make your bones" in science is to disprove someone else's research or else publish findings that no one can bust.  And it is bloody cut-throat.  If these thousands and thousands of papers published were weak, they would have been cut to ribbons, and not by just someone saying they disagree.  That does not cut it. To bust someone's work, you have to point out step by step where they went wrong and how their conclusion is flawed.  That's why they call it "peer reviewed".  Kinda like when we post pics of the bows at full draw.  Anyone can run a plank thru a bandsaw, slap a snakeskin on it, and call it a bow....until you draw it, hehehe! 

Hoping this is not taken as a seed to veer off into politics, but someone is gonna bring it up, so I will.  There are those that will make claims that this is all a thinly veiled attempt to ban all ammunition as a backdoor way to eliminate guns. 

To that I answer, yes, the anti-hunting extremists are certainly doing that.  However, WE HUNTERS are the original conservationists.  WE lobbied Washington DC for taxes on our activities in order to fund conservation efforts.  WE lobbied for national parks, wildlife refuges, limited seasons, limits on how many of a species we could take and what species we could take, and so on.  Without the waterfowl conservation stamp, the once believed extinct giant Canada goose would have not had the funding to take a couple dozen breeding pairs held by private citizens to a reintroduction success story without compare!

This world is not the same as when Teddy Roosevelt shot hundreds of big game animals in a few weeks on a killing spree across Wyoming when he learned his wife and mother died the same day.  Nor is it the same as when he came to his senses and saw a sea of carcasses in his wake and realized the unlimited west was a myth.  We don't have the miles and miles of prairie dog towns and fat sage grouse here in the Dakotas and Montana that fed the bald eagles in winters past.  As their populations recovered, we think they replaced those normal feeding strategies with their Ace in the hole...scavenging.  And the record high populations of the whitetail deer we now have and the number of deer hunters, this is a new situation altogether. So, what do we as conservationists do?  We learn from the past. We learned we can hunt AND conserve.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 11:35:08 pm »
Here is a problem I am having trouble with. If these lead bullets are shattering and creating a snowfall of lead particles through the meat, why are there not more people with lead poisoning. I eat a lot of deer meat and don't have any lead issues.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:52:24 pm by caveman2533 »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 11:59:29 pm »
Here is a problem I am having trouble with. If these lead bullets are shattering and creating a snowfall of lead particles through the meat, why are there not more people with lead poisoning. I eat a lot of dear meat and don't have any lead issues.

An adult bald eagle weighs 7-8 lbs down in the lower 48.  Two #6 lead pellets in the crop are more than enough to kill the bird.  You weigh how much? So you are dealing with economies of scale.  Plus, mammals process it radically different than birds.  Typically a bird dies from starvation, not the lead (unless it ingests a fairly big dose all at once).  When their central nervous system is effected, they cannot fly effectively and hunting failures begin to take a toll.  Imagine the difference between driving one of those little smart cars drunk versus flying an F-16 drunk. 

As for lead in your system, have you been tested?  Studies in North Dakota comparing hunters versus nonhunters indicate hunters have a significantly higher level of lead in the blood, tissue, and bone.  Here's an older article on the subject from 2009:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/get-the-lead-out-the-poisoning-threat-from-tainted-hunting-carcasses/

It comes down to your personal choice when you decide to put it on your plate.  The scavenging raptor didn't get that choice. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 12:34:04 am »
Is lead poisonous?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline willie

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 12:37:49 am »
JW
when you speak highly of the peer review process, aren't you implying that transparency is the best way to prevent bias?

I presume that the non-profit you represent obtains work funded by the taxpayer? Would it not be prudent to disclose your possible conflict of interest when presenting your views and citing findings? There have been questions about the effectiveness of the peer review process in other well funded areas of research that I shall leave unnamed in this thread, perhaps for these very reasons.

I understand that you identify with and are proud of your affiliation with sportsmen, and I would even go so far as to say that you and I would enjoy a day in the field as fellow hunters and sportsmen, even if we have never met in person, but If push comes to shove with a government contract administrator that supports anti hunting measures, would you sacrifice your non-profit for the good of the sportsman?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:02 am »
First of all Pat B I apologize.
I am a weak human, forgive me.
No matter the science, the recent retoric, the egotistical
 posturing and a multitude of membership understanding/ missunderstandings
IMO is just a load of crap.
What the Hel% about the poor innocent birds that are subject
to a life of pure experimental torture. For the love of a puppy
can't any one of you see what the folks in charge of the birds are doing?
They are sending them back out to eat/ absorb more lead, just to get a
 freaken pay check.
Agree or dissagre if you have a heart let it beat in the direction of the innocent
Condors of the Grand Canyon that do gooders are killing.
Go Condors
Sadly spoken Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2015, 01:00:33 am »
The reply is......yes to humans and other animals. These are not difficult concepts. Now figuring out how to keep humans from wiping out things like condors when it is preventable now that is a challenge that this post demonstrates. Children eating lead...bad idea. Now how do we prevent this? Stop producing lead paint so kids don't eat it. Dang that was easy. Now are there other way kids aquire lead...yep. Just handle some lead and now eat a sandwich. Ok so this reduces lead in children. Wow that was easy. For condors apply same concepts and what do you think will happen? That's right, you got it....reduce contact reduces contamination. Well that wasn't so hard after all.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:16:08 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2015, 01:31:50 am »
The reply is......yes to humans and other animals. These are not difficult concepts. Now figuring out how to keep humans from wiping out things like condors when it is preventable now that is a challenge that this post demonstrates. Children eating lead...bad idea. Now how do we prevent this? Stop producing lead paint so kids don't eat it. Dang that was easy. Now are there other way kids aquire lead...yep. Just handle some lead and now eat a sandwich. Ok so this reduces lead in children. Wow that was easy. For condors apply same concepts and what do you think will happen? That's right, you got it....reduce contact reduces contamination. Well that wasn't so hard after all.

Correct me if I am wrong iowa. As I understand it you and I have had a very
reasonable relationship on these boards. Complimentary in our thinking about
difficult issues like Abo vs the rest of flintknapping.
So I would like to also be on the same page with you here.
Do you think you would send your child into a world that the experts
 say is full of enough lead to kill your child/ Condor??
If you find this whimsical, what would you say if you were the Condor?

Offline willie

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:43 am »
Zuma- have you considered the possibility that the condor may be worth more as a poster child of "what once was", than what it is now,  to those behind the efforts to "save" it?

Offline bubby

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 01:44:59 am »
JW
when you speak highly of the peer review process, aren't you implying that transparency is the best way to prevent bias?

I presume that the non-profit you represent obtains work funded by the taxpayer? Would it not be prudent to disclose your possible conflict of interest when presenting your views and citing findings? There have been questions about the effectiveness of the peer review process in other well funded areas of research that I shall leave unnamed in this thread, perhaps for these very reasons.

I understand that you identify with and are proud of your affiliation with sportsmen, and I would even go so far as to say that you and I would enjoy a day in the field as fellow hunters and sportsmen, even if we have never met in person, but If push comes to shove with a government contract administrator that supports anti hunting measures, would you sacrifice your non-profit for the good of the sportsman?

Willie i think this statement was uncalled for and borders on a personal attack
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹