Author Topic: A few Hackberry questions  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

A few Hackberry questions
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »
Working on my first hackberry stave and was needing some confirmation on my game plan.......
Had to chase a ring on this stave.....
Got it to floor tiller...lot more wood than osage at this point.
It's 1 1/2" wide and 68" long....looking for about 50# @ 28"
Planning on a static recurve about 3" of reflex
Toasting the belly and trapping the back....

What do you guys think of the plan so far? Anything to look out for with hackberry?
Comments welcome.
Thanks
DBar
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:31:06 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A few Hackberry questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:46 pm »
Good luck with it Bill.  After you figure out hackberry you will have to teach me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:57 pm »
  Hackberry makes a good bow but is light weight. At 1 1/2" I would keep the bow 68" long. Get a lot of limb working. Hackberry is the most bendable wood in America when steamed, you can make some crazy designs with it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »
  Hackberry makes a good bow but is light weight. At 1 1/2" I would keep the bow 68" long. Get a lot of limb working. Hackberry is the most bendable wood in America when steamed, you can make some crazy designs with it.

Great to know about steaming....You have convinced to use steam and I'm going to try the tightest static bends I've ever done. Thanks
DBar

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:56:08 pm »
Hackberry will make a quick bow if you can keep the set to a minimum. Like Steve said keep keep that length and you should be fine. 1-3/4" wide wouldve been better but it should work.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »
Yes..... I understand about the width 1 3/4 to 2" would have been better.  1 1/2" is all this stave would give up.......but I do have some others wider that I will tackle once I have this one under my belt.
Thanks for the info....
DBar

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:22:16 pm »
Hackberry is an amazing wood. Your dimensions sound okay, that's about what this one is http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53578.msg726573.html#msg726573

It wasn't heat treated and I found out the staves weren't fully dry so you can probably get one with little to no set.
Springfield, MO

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:35:00 pm »
Watching this, Bill, I got a primo stave from Clint at the Classic. And it's about 2 1/2" wide and straight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:30 pm »
Toast the heck out of the belly that will help with the set and it smells like popcorn
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 10:06:10 pm »
Thanks David I remember that one and I ran across it during my research......Thanks

Eddie, I got this stave from Clint at the first Moon Tree Gathering (2013)...He has graciously provided me with another a few months back.

Thanks Bubby, I'm planning on toasting the heck out of the belly, I'm just not sure when to,  I think I'm going to get the tiller close on the long string and do some dry heat corrections and toast the belly at the same time.  Then I was going to bend the statics with steam.
What do you think about that plan?

Thanks
DBar 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:40:37 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 11:13:50 pm »
Sounds good to my dbar, and when she's all tillered toast it again
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:01 am »
How far did you run the 1 1/2" width? Your right on that fine line width wise. If you still can id keep that width out at least as far as 2/3 the way out for a static recurve before tapering to your tips. Hopefully its a good piece of hackberry and if so it should be ok. If not youll know when your long string tillering and its taking more set than it should at that point. And yes temper it well done BEFORE you string and brace it up.

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:27 pm »
I just finished my second hackberry and so far I like it. Toasted the belly as deeply as I thought I could and it has held a good bit of reflex so far. Mine is closer to 2 inches wide though, and more pyramid in design.  I will post pics here soon. Best of luck with yours.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
Big guy you got lots of good info here. I'd only suggest the bulk of the reflex you add take place mid way and out, maybe a 1/2" inch only from fades to mid way. If you start it too soon you will get a gull wing shape, I doubt you don't.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 02:24:41 pm »
rps3....Thanks for the info..............

Bad Chris....I think this stave started out too narrow for a static recurve.  I've only got 1 1/2" about 1/3 of the limb, so I'm just going to flip the last 4-5" to keep the stress down on the limb and get as much working as possible.   I've tempered it before I started pulling it on the tree, thanks..

Good Chris...my caul starts reflex very soon, I need to make a new one with more reflex mid limb,  Marshall next year I want to get the dim's of your caul....If I end up with a gull wing shape on my first I won't be too disappointed. I will have learned a lot from it.

And yes bubby my shop smells like carmel popcorn.... :) :) ;)

Thanks again, guys for all of your good advice.......

One specific question....what do you guys think of trapping the back?
Thanks,
DBar
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:45:27 pm by Danzn Bar »