Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 126449 times)

Offline hunterbob

Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2016, 09:10:11 pm »
That's a nice stash right there. Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »
How the hell ya expect to get a bow out that mess  >:D.......you dont feel one bit guilty either, do ya?

One bow, Given my past occupation, and my age now.....only thing on me aint broke is bent real bad. Luckily I'm only war story rowdy with hurt ribs from laughin when some of us get together, which aint often anymore. 
rich

Offline sleek

« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »
I would personally love to shoot a 100#er. Rich I cant think of anyone who drinks whiskey ::)

Well bud, maybe after this trade is over, and if i send another bow of to my guy ( which may or may not be you ) pwrhaps we could do a personal trade between us. If this bow works out that is of course.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »
Nice Jon W!!!!
Knoll....I tried the maple.Made a router/speed drill shaft maker here.Got the lower 40's spine from the maple and 530 grain.Ash is in the lower 50's @ 450 to 475 grain.This is all at 11/32's@30" long.Honey locust and walnut are next.A friend of mine says walnut will suit me fine.I want a 430 to 460 at previous dimensions @ about 50 to 55 spine.I think honey locust will do great too.Could be wrong but will appreciate the great color of honey locust and it's a good use for those god forsaken thorn trees.
Not worried too much here about the bow yet.Got till .Want to think about it some first.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »
Might not have enough to pick from...

Might have to dig through my rough stash

Cowabunga!!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:42 pm »
Wow guy's, not sure what to say! I got war stories, good whisky, 100# bows, red oak molly recurves (what a mouth full) broken down hero's, and hidden treasures at John's house!  8) :o 8)

War stories and good whisky is made to be shared with friends around camp fires. I shot a 125# English war bow made of yew several times at mojam a couple of years ago. I made a red oak molly once I still have all of the pieces I found. I have shoulder, elbow, knee hand, neck, and back problems from my younger days. And last but not least, I have some hidden treasures somewhere in the piles of wood around my place. But most are still hiding under a layer of bark.
I think that's it.

:laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:

Patrick
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:19:49 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2016, 11:04:07 am »
Jon's been one busy feller!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2016, 02:16:38 pm »
I have to stay busy supplying you with staves considering your track record :o ;D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »
I have to stay busy supplying you with staves considering your track record :o ;D

DANG!  That stung clean over here and it wasn't even aimed at me!

OneBow

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2016, 03:43:42 pm »
Drat! This looks like fun. I was away from my computer for more than a week and missed it. Still it'll be fun watching the fun.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »
I'm finding it difficult to stay focused, I'm jumping from project to protect. My guy probably won't be getting a red streak Osage bow. One is maybe ok but the other is screwed. It delaminated along a growth ring and it took me about a minute to literally rip it apart with my bare hands. Then I seen I had a couple of little creatures eating holes through it.  >:( so now I'm spending the rest of the day cleaning up and spraying bug spray. Aaahhhhh  >:( >:(

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »
Bummer Patrick.  Hope you have more stashed someplace else.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
Let me know if you need to get into some of my stash Patrick.  I hate it when bugs eat Bow wood!!!

OneBow

Offline J05H

« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2016, 05:56:07 pm »
Havin' a bit of trouble with my sassafras too. Did some break tests with some off-cuts, and its seems weak. It may have been damaged while drying. Or maybe all sassafras is like this and it just because I'm not used to it. I don't know. I'm still going to try it, but I'm going to give a lot more attention to the osage, because that's what's most likely to succeed it seems.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »
I believe all sassafras  is terrible bow wood. Unless you want to make a kids bow. I don't like the stuff.