Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 126117 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2016, 06:53:00 pm »
Is that for everyone or we just pickin on mike? I have two nice red oak boards in progress that may well surprise yall.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:36 pm »
One year soon we need to make red oak board bows and bring 'em to MoJam to shoot the course and runnin' pig.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »
Kevin its just Mike. He is worried about that Elm stave and I think he has been looking at too many boards. Mike are you making it an official challenge?

Offline sleek

« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:08 pm »
Red elm and pine have something in common. They are bkth put to better use than bows. If mike makes a good bow of that ill be impressed.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:40 pm »
Kevin its just Mike. He is worried about that Elm stave and I think he has been looking at too many boards. Mike are you making it an official challenge?

I got a red oak board that's still in one piece! >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:27 pm »

Patrick

It will stay that way if you dont try to make a bow of it or let mike touch it : D

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:55 am »

Patrick

It will stay that way if you dont try to make a bow of it or let mike touch it : D

Thats it! Now I have to make one for sure!
Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2016, 09:29:22 pm »
Ok guy's! I think one of my red streak Osage staves is back on the table for the bendy handle recurve. But my guy is going to get a big surprise with this one.
Ring chased, and is currently setting at 58.5 inches. I'm going to get it shapes out, straightened and recurved. Then it's going to be set aside for a while.
Patrick

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:45 pm »
Roughed out front and side profiles today. Can see there's some straightening in me future.

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »
I really like the looks of that!

Offline JonW

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:44 pm »
Looks good Mike. Make the reflexed limb the bottom and tiller as is. Pat you got you a good looking stave there bud.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »
Thanks John! Every little dark spot is a pin knot wit one being a little more of a punky knot. But that's why it's going to be a surprise! Lol

Patrick

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2016, 04:16:59 pm »
Hey Patrick, I just recalled that the Osage had begun to cause you allergy and respiratory issues during our fun up in Wright City, so, (...just because I'm a compassionate and helpful sort of guy!  >:D ), I'd be happy to come by one day this week and remove that toxic waste you got stashed there at the house.  Just let me know what time to show up...

OneBow

P.S. - I could even bring you a few hypo-allergenic Red Oak boards in exchange for all that toxic yella stuff...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:21:18 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:45 pm »
Hey, for you guys around Springfield, don't forget that the UMB get together is in your town this weekend. You might see something at the vendor hall that gives you some hope and inspiration...  ;)
 ;D

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:55 pm »
Interested in seeing the progress all are making on your bows. Pictures! Pictures!