Author Topic: Latest composite prodigy/finished/with arrows  (Read 38365 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Latest composite prodigy/finished/with arrows
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
Another hickory/horn/sinew.Not yet near finished but on it's way.56.5" NTN.Right now 52#'s @ 28".Pics of profile before tiller and after tiller.Had to remove 65 to 70 grains of horn sanding to get current shape & poundage.Started with 14" TTT reflex.Lost 3" overall to 11" TTT after tillering resting over night.A person could take off 3/4" to get to NTN reflex measurement.The actual real measurement.Immediately after unstringing being braced 4 hours or so setting with 9" reflex.Mass weight 17.90 ounces but don't have handle carved in yet.I'm guessing lower 17 to upper 16 ounces in the end.

Update 4 years later.....5/29/21 mass weight is 17.00 ounces finished.50% humidity.11" resting reflex.7.25" brace height to back of handle.After 4 hours of shooting and string time it unbraces at 9.5" reflex.In fifteen minutes back to 10.5" reflex.Back to 11" reflex again overnight.Fully cured horn bow.Follow up on these type bows is not done very often.Excellent fun shooter!!!
Before tillering

After tillering resting overnight

Brace of 6.5 to 7 inches to the back.I guess this one can be called a true recurve as the string does actually rest on the belly a couple of inches.

Full draw

I'll dress her up in the next few of weeks.Take more pics of it then.
Here are pictures of the preliminary process:
The core

Glue up of horn inducing 8" of reflex.Using smooth on I can get away with a tight inner tube wrapping.Otherwise C clamps are reccommended.Both core and horn are pretappered before glue up.

Off form retaining 5.5" of reflex.

Around 1200 grains of moose and elk leg sinew ready

I score the back of bow length wise well with a hack saw blade/sized it well with thin hide glue/then apply first course of sinew.Reverse bracing while drying.Sinew was put on 3 different stages.Reflex increased a bit each time

Final cured look then to tillering and look as in pictures at beginning of the posting of the bow

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 07:33:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

Re: Latest composite prodigy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 11:14:39 am »
Looking good Ed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:57:57 am »
Sweeet...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:13:59 pm »
You sure make sweet bows Ed. :D :D Do you run the sinew right out to the end of the limb? Do you wrap the end of the sinew?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:53:11 pm »
That is going to be nice!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 01:06:44 pm »
Very nice
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »
Braced and full draw look awesome Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
That's a amazing bow Ed I always enjoy your next generation vertion the new & improved composite bet you have a 200 ++++ fps bow there at your specs, anxiously waiting your shooting report !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:34:28 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:57 pm »
Thanks fellas.
It needs to be broken in good and proper to settle in yet but for all purposes it's done.It needed a tip tweaked for alignment yet.
I don't think I've hardly ever put sinew to the tip knock on any bow.This one quits around 8" from the tip.Wraps are mostly for accents really I think.Not really necessary for fear of sinew popping up anyway.At least I've never seen one do it.The loop dragging down the tip unbraced can wear things once in a while.
It should perform good with a 10 grain arrow or any arrow really.
Gotta finish other bows I've started while waiting on this one.
Finish work.....Decisions,decisions,decisions.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:43 pm »
Man Ed,  that one sure looks good buddy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 07:18:28 am »
Thanks Pat.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:06 am »
Ed, you're a talented feller. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 07:46:24 am »
Thanks Pat.

Your welcome Ed,  I really admire your work.  Ive always wanted one of those horn bows or a composit like the one in the thread.  Ive read a lot on making one but I can never find the horn or when I do I can't afford it.  I sure do enjoy shooting that selfbow I got last year at mojam that you made.  Sure is a sweet shooting bow. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 09:23:11 am »
Very nice bow, Ed. I got a set of horn from Matt Wirwicki at the Classic this year and am giving it a lot of thought whether to build one like this one of yours or a more "Native American" style bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »
Thanks again fellas.
Pat B..I think StickBender has the same thoughts in mind for a bow.
Patrick...It's good that that bow has a good home.If I remember right it was 49#'s @ 28".That may have gone up a bit since like self bows can do.I'l pick out another here for the auction at Mo Jam too.It's a fun place to shoot.
Tillering horn is a different ball game as far as stability goes.Depending on percentage of thickness it is.More so then wood being a lot stiffer.Can't jump to conclusions as quick while tillering.
BowEd
Ed