Author Topic: HHB Static  (Read 2930 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

HHB Static
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:07 pm »
Hi folks,

This isn't my absolute favorite bow, but I'm happy about it mostly cause it's a successful HHB. Every time, with one exception, I've attempted a bow from this wood something goes wrong. And actually, something did go wrong with this one, but it turned out alright. I scorched the back a bit while heat treating. I've shot it several hundred times though. So far, so good.  (AT) I tried to mask the scorching a bit by using RIT die on the back.   :D Let me know what you think... and as always, thanks for looking.  :)

64" ttt
55# at 27"
rosewood inlay and overlays
leather handle
teak oil finish
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: HHB Static
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:11 pm »
4 more...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:40 pm »
last 2...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »
I like it Jeff. Looks like a nice piece of HHB. That's a nice unbraced profile for HHB shot 700 times.
Reminds me of my Sorry Peachie bow. The full draw picture looks like bottom limb maybe just a fade stiff inner third, but could just be picture. If it feels right and isn't taking any set it's probably as good as it gets.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »
Most times I can't see the pics cause I live in the bush,beauty man you are a bow making machine!cool!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »
Thanks BJ, I was hoping to hear from ya. You're my go to guy for HHB inspiration after all :). I saw that the bottom limb was bending just a tad less than the top, but I left it as a slightly positive tiller. She does hit pretty hard and feels good on the release so I'll take it.  :BB

Thanks BB I'm glad you could see it from the bush. No better place to be!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 07:21:49 pm »
Very nice.  Scorching the back...tsk tsk  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:24 pm »
I like the contrast.Very nice bow.Congrats!!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:23:38 pm »
Nice work on that piece of HHB.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »
   Very nice work!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:38:48 pm »
Thank you guys very kindly. The tree was growing in our woods and I'd been eyeing it ever since we moved in. This summer just felt like the right time.  )W(

Now Marc, I never would have scorched the back if you hadn't written such a compelling chapter on heat treating. LOL  :laugh:

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 04:19:19 am »
Very nice I like your button style strike plate congrats !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:08 am »
Nice job, love HHB and you did a fine job with that piece, What BJ said on the tiller but if it is shooting nice who am I to say.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 06:49:20 am »
I actually like the burned eeehhh... stained look on the back :laugh: Nice static! Bottom looks a little stiff in the pic but if the top does'n take any set it's probably not an issue

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:30 am »
Jeff I think that lower limb is stiff for about 12-14" off the handle. You can see in your unbraced pic that set is starting right where the most bend is taking place. As far as heat licking around the back, I've never had good luck when that happens with HHB. Every one of them popped a splinter in time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.