Author Topic: Hazel longbow, 100# @ 28"  (Read 59952 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: Hazel longbow, UPDATE: ready for bracing
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:55 am »
I worked a little on the scraping the both limbs to get even bend at brace and then I attempted to put string on it. I never thought I would say this... but how to brace this bow?

I tried stringer method and I cannot do it by myself, I'll try to ask dad to help me, but then again, how can I put string in future by myself.
Tried the knee on the handle method too. Completely impossible because bow has a reflex and it cannot stay still while I push my knee against the belly.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hazel longbow, UPDATE: can't brace!
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2017, 10:02:45 am »
Yup that's the problem making warbows... if you can string it, it's probably under weight ;)
A  boat/trailer hand winch is handy for initial brace. Video of warbow winch/brace here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKt8bEa-Ig&index=3&t=37s&list=PLBz2tD9476KRkSOSICLsc-zj5ADyPKLZB
Some pics of my tiller winch at the end of this blog entry. Note I shortened the winch handle to make it more compact.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/copper-archer-has-bow.html
Del
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:09:12 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:52 am »
I saw winches like that in store nearby but they are expensive. Anyways I know I could easily brace with them, or even pull big weights but on the other hand, when I go shoot in the nature, I don't have winches bolted to the floor to put string on my bow. That is the thing.

Is there another way? I don't consider myself weak and I am doing weight training, but this is just ridiculously hard!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:41 am »
I saw winches like that in store nearby but they are expensive. Anyways I know I could easily brace with them, or even pull big weights but on the other hand, when I go shoot in the nature, I don't have winches bolted to the floor to put string on my bow. That is the thing.

Is there another way? I don't consider myself weak and I am doing weight training, but this is just ridiculously hard!
Once it's actually finished it's relatively easy to brace with a stringer, and maybe help from someone to slip the string on while you heave with two hands. It's not so much the pulling that's hard, it's the reaching across with one hand that can twist you back at an awkward angle.
But early in the process it is V difficult as the bow is still not fully tillered and is at a higher weight...
If it's not at a higher weight, there is a danger that it will end up under weight when finished.
Del

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:16 am »
If you make the stringer as short as possible, so it just fits on,  I find it a lot easier, then stand up to bend the bow instead of pulling it up with just your arm.  Just something I found, hope it helps.

R.D.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:58:51 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:20 am »
If you make the stringer as short as possible, so it just fits on,  I find it a lot easier, then stand up to bend the bow instead of pulling it up with just your arm.  Just something I found, hope it helps.

R.D.
Yeah, getting that stringer length right is critical so you can use leg muscles not hurt your back.
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:25 pm »
Good idea, a stringer that I can barely put my foot into, am I right? Than I am basically doing a something akin to a deadlift. I will try tomorrow.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:52 pm »
That's right 8), you only need one foot on the stringer, the other foot stepped a little towards and pointing to the top nock end, like lifting a heavy suitcase. If you have the top nock end a little higher before you lift it also makes it easier to reach and slip the string loop on.
Keep your back upright and tense your stomach to avoid injury.

R.D.

Offline DC

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 03:55:55 pm »
I have to ask, if you can't brace it, will you be able to pull it?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:14 am »
I have to ask, if you can't brace it, will you be able to pull it?

Good question.
Obviously, in this stage not. The aim of this project is to get around 90# bow that would help me do learn technique for future heavy bows, to practice tillering of heavy bows, etc.
This bow is currently probably around 120# and in this stage is simply overkill. If it does came out to be like that near desired draw length, I will remove wood evenly to get it to desired weight.

The biggest problem is that bows could get too light very easily. I could simply just now remove evenly wood from both limbs but I don't know what I would get when I get to the final stage.
This bow for me is basically an experiment to see how these heavy bows work and how do I tiller them. For future projects I will have more knowledge than now.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 05:38:56 am »
If you always pull it to full target weight and watch the draw length slowly increase as you remove wood, you can't come in too light! (well maybe the odd pound or two)
It really does need a disciplined approach if you want to hit a target weight.
This post shows what I mean. 110# Warbow from stave to full draw as a single picture showing it being pulled to 110# at each stage.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61907.0.html
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:05 am »
I must buy better and stronger scale. This current is made like a dynamometer (spring inside a shaft) and measures up to 110#.

Offline Badger

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »
    If you want a 90# bow do as Del says and pull to 90# each time, instead of thinking about taking weight off just think of perfecting tiller and the weight will come off. Just keep making the tiller more perfect and more like what your ideal is. Always pulling to 90# and no more.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 01:15:57 pm »
Tnx Badger.

Offline willie

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 01:32:55 pm »
what do the truck drivers use where you are?

stuff like this is reasonably priced

Code: [Select]
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/2-Inch-Ratchet-Straps-with-Wire-Hooks-p/57xx84x-12.htm