Author Topic: Maple backed Black Locust  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Maple backed Black Locust
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 09:11:42 am »
From the looks of it, I would not dispute those numbers at all. It just looks like a performer.  Nice glue lines too

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 09:25:30 am »
Thanks a lot guys. We've supposedly got a week of nice weather starting tomorrow so I can shoot it a bunch and see how it lasts. With the deflex I don't think there's as much strain. Hopefully I'm right. If not I'll use better wood next time.

Offline shofu

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:52 am »
Nice one Don! I have some BL for you
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:22 am »
George! Great to hear from you. More BL sounds good. I really like the look of the wood and it works very nice.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 07:41:30 pm »
Thanks guys. Recurves are 1 i/2" radius. I'm kind of waiting for the chrysals to appear. I make so many bows that I don't shoot individuals that much. Maybe it will last. It actually cam in well above my weight, I'm old so I shoot for about 38# now. I shot it a bunch this morning and knew it was a bit heavy but I was surprised how much. I was managing well enough once I got warmed up. I'll leave it for a bit. I think the best move I made was copying Marc's bows. The last few have been fast and nice to shoot. Thanks Marc :)

If you're talking about me then you are welcome

Nice bow by the way.  I've made quite a few BL bows including some backed with Bamboo and I have yet to see a chrysal
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:20 pm »
  I love BL, too.  I'll take all I can get.  Which is very little, because it isn't common around here and the borers get into the thickets of young trees so BAD!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 01:37:55 pm »
Very nice!the first thing I thought was yeah,Marc St Louis insprired !good on you ,not many can pull that off!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
Nice work Don.  I have some BL billets kicking around if you want em