Author Topic: Maple backed Black Locust  (Read 3074 times)

Offline DC

Maple backed Black Locust
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:51 pm »
This is the bow I was working on here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63176.0.html
It just didn't want to stay in the corner. It was originally a Hard Maple backed BL sapling billets. It was made from scraps I had kicking around. 59" ttt measured directly and 62" NTN following the curves. About 15 degrees deflex glued into the handle and ends up with 1" reflex. After I messed up with the tiller I ground the belly down and scrounged up the last piece of BL I had to make belly lams. I could only get one sapwood lam and one with about 30% heartwood. Steamed them a bit to match the fades and glued it up. I tried to put a little Perry in it like a did the first time but it didn't hold much. It's 44# @26", a bit heavy for me, but I'll see if I can toughen up a bit before I scrape it down. It shoots in the high 170's with a couple in the very low 180's. That was with about 9gpp, the closest arrow to 10. I don't know how BL sapwood is for belly wood but I guess I'll find out. Anyway, it shoots nice for the dogs breakfast that it is and we'll see how it lasts.

Offline DC

Re: Maple backed Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:17:30 pm »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »
More

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:14:08 pm »
Looks good, Don.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:31:11 pm »
Looks really nice DC. I remember that one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:40:55 pm »
 Very nice DC!  Good fix on the belly lam, and some good performance numbers.   
And if you don't mind, I'm interested in what radius you used for your recurve?  That's exactly the curve I'm looking for on my next build.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:44:20 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:45:41 pm »
As a man familiar with many a "dogs breakfast", that's one of the nicest breakfast's I've ever seen. 

Looks really good, actually.   Tiller's great and you hit a decent weight. 

MY few experiences with BL sapwood have me surprised you even got it tillered, so you are way ahead of me.  I assume some set would be inevitable, but the profile looks very nice!  The strip of belly heartwood looks very cool.

Every time I used BL sapwood at all, it just crumpled like a card house with any real bending.  Nice job. 

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 05:21:00 pm »
Thanks guys. Recurves are 1 i/2" radius. I'm kind of waiting for the chrysals to appear. I make so many bows that I don't shoot individuals that much. Maybe it will last. It actually cam in well above my weight, I'm old so I shoot for about 38# now. I shot it a bunch this morning and knew it was a bit heavy but I was surprised how much. I was managing well enough once I got warmed up. I'll leave it for a bit. I think the best move I made was copying Marc's bows. The last few have been fast and nice to shoot. Thanks Marc :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 05:50:05 pm »
Looks very good Don.Way to hang in there again on this bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:01 pm »
Like Ed said, way to persevere! Beautiful work.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 05:55:09 am »
You cooked that up really nice ;D Looks pretty too with the heart/sap on the belly. Hope it lasts!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:37:31 am »
 Excellent bend Don...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:11 am »
That's a beauty for sure, Nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 07:25:30 am »
Looks like an efficient design.  I'm wanting to take on a similar type project coming up.  Nice one!
1’—>1’