Author Topic: New project  (Read 56586 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New project
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2019, 06:57:27 am »
What I'm comparing it with is my daily shooter. Probably got 1500-200 shots. At 26" a 400 grain arrow is 175fps. a 300 gr arrow is 192fps. at 28" the 400 is 190fps and the 300 is 210fps The new bow is 26",400gr,163fps. 10 fps slower. Oh that's not quite a dismal as I was thinking. That's cheered me up a bit. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I can actually get some more working limb to make 28 in safer. Maybe, just maybe ;D

Id love to see this bow, have a link to it? Is this the bow you used as a reference for this new bow?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2019, 07:55:10 am »
I think you've seen it. Since I posted it the tiller changed a bit and I had to turn it upside down, changed the arrow pass and put a new handle on it. I used the brain tan that BowEd sent me. Where is he???
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64730.0.html

Offline DC

« Reply #257 on: March 23, 2019, 08:24:48 am »
  Of course, every wood removal you have to reset benchmark. It takes my several pulls to get down to the benchmark after a wood removal.

I'm still not sure I'm doing the tillering right. Is there a minimum distance between the benchmark and how for you pull it to exercise. I was only going an inch or two. Maybe if I had gone more the set might have shown up?

Offline DC

« Reply #258 on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:40 am »
Why not to sinew back this bow :)?

I'm seriously considering it. I'm trying to decide whether to grind off the Maple and just have a sinew backed Yew that may be too light unless I pile on the sinew. Or I could leave the Maple on and risk having to tiller off all the Yew. I could grind the Maple off the working limb and leave it on the levers and just sinew the WL. I've only done one sinewed bow so all these options are very confusing. I think I want to play with it as is for a bit. I have to keep reminding myself that except for the backing all this wood was headed for the fire pit so al I've lost is time and I've got lots of that. Up until I run out, of course ;D ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #259 on: March 23, 2019, 08:45:23 am »
I would reduce the maple a bit hopefully eliminating the sliver and then sinew.  You should be able to end up right where you planned with a bit more built in safety.

Offline DC

« Reply #260 on: March 23, 2019, 08:48:26 am »
I don't think the sliver is more than 1/32" deep. Would you leave the Maple full thickness on the leavers and just sinew the working limb?

Offline Woodely

« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2019, 09:00:48 am »
Lots of work, looks really nice, but I'm afraid of the design been over built, say a tad stiff here and there.  Does not surprise me that it lifted a splinter.  Now go shoot it 2-300 times and leave it braced for about 6 hours.
What ya going to wrap it with.?

How is this bow overbuit, and where are the stiff spots here and there that you see?

Differences of opinion, what I see is what I see If I could physically hold it and draw it maybe opinion would be different  and not everything you read, see or hear online is what it is.  I have learned that after been online for over 18 years.  (lol)
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline PatM

« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2019, 09:12:38 am »
I don't think the sliver is more than 1/32" deep. Would you leave the Maple full thickness on the leavers and just sinew the working limb?

Yes.  With a gradual step up in thickness through the v splice area.

Offline sleek

« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2019, 09:14:28 am »

Good luck with all that, i onow nothing about sinew. Id just loke to see you chrono at 28 with a 400 grain arrow before hand.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2019, 09:18:38 am »
First try a thin layer of Sinew that will allow u to go to 28
If that is no good,,,then put more and induce reflex,,u will gain weight and have to tiller
If that's no good,,,then grind off maple,.,Sinew back and induce reflex...one of those should work,..
If ur backing holds up as is,,,this bow is working,,,
If u pull it to 28,,.it will be close to 175
     Keep in mind ,..if u Sinew...u can draw it further if need be,,.I have never put Sinew over a backing,..but seems like it would work...and I am thinking,,,.putting on the Sinew before shooting it in would give best speed,,,but am spitballing

Offline DC

« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2019, 09:22:33 am »
Ya know, if these things would give you warning before they broke this would be a whole lot easier. I too, would like to try that Sleek. I'm just a little chicken. In my weight loss efforts I thinned out the slpice area a bit. That kinda moved the point of the "V" further out by 1/2" or so. If I tiller into that area it will lighten it more and give me a bit more WL. I'm just heading out to the garage now, I'll give it a look.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2019, 09:25:16 am »
 (-P

Offline sleek

« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:17 am »
Ya know, if these things would give you warning before they broke this would be a whole lot easier. I too, would like to try that Sleek. I'm just a little chicken. In my weight loss efforts I thinned out the slpice area a bit. That kinda moved the point of the "V" further out by 1/2" or so. If I tiller into that area it will lighten it more and give me a bit more WL. I'm just heading out to the garage now, I'll give it a look.

Sounds like a plan. Its always easy to watch a guinnie pig, not easy to be one. Sometimes, i get frustrated and say f**** it, its either gonna be a damn bow or its gonna break, either way somethings gonna happen and its gonna happen now.

Offline DC

« Reply #268 on: March 23, 2019, 09:33:13 am »
(-P
Can you imagine how long and drawn out this will be if I sinew. You'll need two bags ;D ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #269 on: March 23, 2019, 09:34:34 am »
(-P
Can you imagine how long and drawn out this will be if I sinew. You'll need two bags ;D ;D
After a hibernation period.