Author Topic: two-fletch test  (Read 41034 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: two-fletch test
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:37:26 pm »
Marius, I think Pat forgot the discussion about it being primitive archery.  ;) Of course if you would quit trying to make them all fancy nobody would care.  I like to make them primitive then everybody expects them to look like a 4 year old did them. Mine fall right in there with a 4 year old's.  ;D As long as they fly good, who cares if they aren't perfect looking.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Allen7

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:56:14 pm »
Those are really nice looking two fletch arrows.  Very cool !  I haven't tried that version, but I like em.   I have made a different version of two fletch arrows for many years.   I was told it was it was an Eastern Cherokee style.   I am new to this forum so don't know if you have talked about them.    It is easy to do in a primitive setting,  do not need a third hand, stabizes the arrow quickly, and makes use of two secondary wing feathers.   The shaft is basically sandwiched between two feathers, with ends of feathers secured with sinew and hide glue.    The arrows make a fluttering noise like a flu-flu, are faster than a flu-flu, but slower than 3 fletched arrows.  

Dustbaer's 2 fletch arrows are much nicer looking, quieter, and probably faster than mine.   I just thought I would mention another primitive type that I have had good luck with.   If there is any interest I can round up a closeup photo .   There is a photo of a few of my primitive arrows including a couple 2 fletch arrows on the Primitive Skills/ "Life is Good (up in the Northwest)" thread on page 7.   

Allen Minton

Dustybaer

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 01:13:29 pm »
justin, pat forgets things occasionally.  ;D  i've gotten used to it. you will too, in due time. and just because i'm a redneck, doesn't mean i don't have style.  i herewith announce a new category of arrows not modern, not abo, but primitive-fancy or short, primancy (not to be confused with your style, which i would describe as fancy-primitive or short fanitive)  ;D

allen, there is always interest for pictures, especially closeups.  i like the 2-fletches you mentioned in the other thread.  what kind of feathers did you use?  is it a different species of turkey?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:16 pm »
Alan, I'd like to see a close up of your Cherokee 2 fletch. The ones I posted on "new arrows 2008" under ARROWS are the first that I have done. After making 4 of them the method improved with each as did the performance.
    I'm gonna try some like Marius' next. I hope red feathers are OK. You know how picky and demanding them Germans(Transylvanians) can be!  ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »
red feathers would be very nice, with a black wrapping maybe, to match those fine strings you make  ;D

finished fletching the "dirty dozen" (just can't take pictures worth a crap  >:( )

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline broad_head

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 11:25:19 am »
Dustybare
               Nice arrows, very impressed. You have inspired me to have a go, have only ever made 3 fletch arrows.
                      Have alway thought that 2 fletch would not fly that well? Will post some pics when I have made some.
                                                                                                             Peter (UK)

Offline Allen7

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 11:46:18 am »
Here are a couple photos of my two fletched arrows.   Not as pretty, but very functional.   I use the secondary wing feathers from wild Canadian Geese.   On these remember to strip the leading edge of feather halfway back, leave the trailng edge alone.   Sand and bevel the thick base of spine so it llays well on shaft.  Have fun!

Allen

Dustybaer

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 12:20:52 pm »
allen, what do you mean "not as pretty"?  they are absolutely beautiful.  i actually like them better than mine.  (need to get me some of those feathers, only have primaries).  have you considered a little helical spin?  or do they spin because of the removed leading edge?  you said they are somewhat noisy though, right?  that coincides with my observations with a similar design.  thanks for posting the pictures.  very inspiring.

peter, good luck and please show us the results (can't see enough of this stuff  ;D )

Offline Allen7

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:27 pm »
If you use the correct secondary feathers; this method naturally imparts a spin to the arrow.    It is part of the beauty of this very basic style.  They are very cool arrows.   Used local wild rose shafts, deer leg sinew, and hide glue to finish off the arrow.  Aside from the fluttering noise, the only problem with this method, is that the slender tip of spine back by the nock sometimes slips out from under the wrapping after repeated target shooting.  So, make sure you have a solid wrap and leave some little bits of feather still attached for some additional roughness under the sinew wrap.  Also, seal the sinew/hide glue with beeswax so it doesn't loosen up in high humidity or wet conditions.

Allen

Dustybaer

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 04:03:35 pm »
allen, if you tuck the thin end under, like i did (it's barely visible on the first picture) they won't slip out anymore.  just a thought.

shot the entire set today.  i'm absolutely excited.  they fly really well off the signature bow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:13:56 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »
Allen, those look great. I like the two-feather Eastern woodlands fletch. Most of the old original Cherokee arrows I have seen use that same system, but the feathers are put on with a good bit of helical and trimmed shorter. That also helps with the noise. I live near the Cherokee rez, and that style of fletching is still being used by some of the traditional arrow makers of the tribe.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:54 pm »
here's another perk with two fletches.  i could never fit 12 arrows into this quiver before, at least not without squeezing the feathers half to death.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:12 pm »
Marius- that's pretty sweet, both the quiver and the arrows ;D!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 11:02:47 pm »
Yep, that quiver is cool.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Allen7

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 02:32:47 am »
Hey Hillbilly:   That is cool news.   I didn't know anyone else still used this Cherokee two fletch style.   I have made some of these for over twelve years, and have never seen anyone else use this method - except for two other guys that learned it from me.   Many years ago, I did experiment some with trimming them differently. I remember it helped with the noise but not with the flight.    However, I never tried to apply them with a helical twist like on a 3 fletch.  I have been pretty happy with them as is, except for the occasional one that slips out from under the wrapping.    Last couple years, I have focused more on horseback archery and improving my flintknapping skills.   I love flinging arrows from back of a running horse .

Allen