Author Topic: two-fletch test  (Read 41013 times)

Dustybaer

Re: two-fletch test
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:04 am »
thanks guys.  that quiver is really good when it rains.  i just close the flap and the fletching is protected   plus when i'm done shooting, i usually tie the bow to the laces you see dangling down from the strap, so i don't have to carry it in my hand  ;D  did i mention i'm lazy?

allen, in addition to wrapping the thin end of the quill upside down (i.e. pointing to the tip), you could also tie the feathers down at the center, like michbowguy did on his.  that way nothing could slip.  just a suggestion.

Offline broad_head

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 05:35:22 am »
Dustybaer
               You made an excellent job of that quiver. I have made a few but all back quivers. How is that type worn?

Peter (UK)

Dustybaer

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 08:37:17 am »
thank you peter.  i wear it on either side, depending on my mood.  when i get home, i'll ask my son to pose for me, so i can show you how i would wear it.

Offline Little John

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:12 pm »
Pretty arrows, is there any reason for two rather than three other than novalty or preferance, again real pretty.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline benjamin

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 12:36:48 am »
I tried the cherokee fletch a while ago but they flew badly. Does it make a difference if there is a slight helix or did I just do it wrong? To everyone who posted pics, those look amazing! I'm very jelious.

Offline Allen7

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 02:57:58 am »
I thnk you must have done something wrong.    Our cherokee two fletched arrows shoot fine.     Depends on how they are trimmed.   I don't have a helical on mine.

Dustybaer

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 04:48:16 am »
kenneth, i wouldn't consider it a novelty, two-fletches have been around as long as three fletches (i think  ;D ).  the advantages for me are:
1.  they're easier to make without jigs
2.  you need less material
3.  can't prove it yet, but they appear somewhat faster to me, without loosing accuracy.
4.  you can fit more of them into the same quiver  ;D
5.  i likes them  ;D

benjamin, thanks. when you make the next set, try half with and half without helical.  then continue the style you like best.  looking at my native amercan archery books, i find about as many without, as i find with helical spin (unless my memory tricks me  ;D )

peter, could't talk my son into it  ;D but here's a picture for you.  different quiver but same style.  i sometimes wear it on the right and sometime on the left.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:14:55 am by Dustybaer »

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 12:50:14 pm »
Nice looking arrows. Have you shot them yet?
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Dustybaer

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 01:11:31 pm »
thanks sean, yes i have and really like the way they fly.

a friend of mine is making a dozen tradepoints for them, so i'm curios to see how broadheads affect their flight.  i'll find out early may, when i see him.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 05:59:42 pm »
Gordy Mickens,of Selway archery and Jim Neaves of Centaur bows,kill deer and Elk,every yr with 2 fletch and broadheads.I made the best shot of my life,with a 2 fletched arrow.45yrds on a cottontail rabbit.put it right through the heart.I can still remember the perfect flight of that arrow,like it happened 10 mins ago.

Offline broad_head

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 05:19:04 am »
Dustybare
               Thanks for the photo's, I like that style.
                                          I think I will now need to make a new quiver to go with my two fletched arrows.
                                                                                                                                                           Peter (UK)

Dustybaer

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:37 am »
thanks for the info, traxx.  and congratulations on that shot.

peter, you're welcome and please show us pictures of both the two-fletched arrows as well as the quiver.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:05 pm »
I had to have another look at this thread because those arrows just look so nice. I'm not sure why but something about them really appeals to me. Very simple, very stylish.
I made some very long (57 inch) semi-replica south amercian arrows with straight two fletch. Despite having no hellical they fly very well.
Mark in England

Dustybaer

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 05:33:02 pm »
thanks mark.  now that you mention it, i remember talking to you about them a while back.  i always meant to try super-long arrows, but hillbilly beat me to it  ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:12 pm »
i made some two featherd ones. they flew alot like a football. spining REALLY fast and made alot of noise. shot streight. might be good for competitions or something. sence those are trimed, they prolly do shoot good. great work friend.
lets just shoot it