Author Topic: Books, movies, series and more about primitive living and skills  (Read 18554 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Books, movies, series and more about primitive living and skills
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 11:45:15 am »
Jean Awl's series, Clan Of The Cave Bear(European) and Richard and Kathleen Gear's Earth Child series(North America) are great reads. Even though they are fiction they are very well researched.  I would suggest reading the Jean Awl series in order as it follows the journey from beginning to end. The Gear's books can be read in almost any order although they do follow man from the time they came into North America until DeSoto came into Florida.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:48:45 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 01:49:16 pm »
I just watched "Revenant" the other day. I wasn't really impressed with the movie. I think I counted about ten times when he would have died of hypothermia. I think they exaggerated a bit.

Saw it in the theatre with a fellow historical re-enactor. We about got thrown out. At one point we started joking..."Oh no! Cold water! My nemesis! How can I help myself, I must fall in it!  I cannot help myself, I have a rare condition...falling-in-water-osis!"

We still joke that the director banned water bottles because DeCaprio kept trying to squeeze through the neck and was getting stuck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 02:00:36 pm »
The 6 books of the "Ayla" Saga from Jean Marie Auel.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
The movie, Revenant is a made up fictional story that bares no resemblance to what really happened.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 03:18:37 pm »
The Bounty trilogy has a lot of island survival in it, and at sea in a life boat type as well. Robinson Crusoe is one of my all time favorites, though it's a fantasy, it's a very good and believable one, most fun when read in the original old style english.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 03:23:17 pm »
If you look at the photo at the head of this article, you will see the lake that now covers the convergence of three creeks where Hugh Glass was mauled. If you look VERY carefully, you will see the mountains where it did NOT take place, LOL!

https://www.kfyrtv.com/home/headlines/Leonardo-Film-Makes-Lemmon-SD-Famous-318306011.html
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 04:03:52 pm »
I wish I  could remember the title... But the basic  story was a kid was in a commuter plane over the Alaska or Canada bush. The plane crashed. Three survived, the pilot, the kid, and an old native who spoke no english. The pilot didnt live long, he went over a water fall in the aircraft  riding it on top like a bull, certain of his fate, he wanted to go out like the bull rider he always wanted to be.

The kid was shown how to live off the land by the old native. They trapped beaver in frozen ponds by making a hole in the ice, and whacked the beavers on the head when they came for air. They brain tanned the skins for clothing and eventually a drum was also made. It was so cold you could hear trees exploding from freezing. The air was so cold, you couldn't rub snow in your hands cause if was needle like, but when the weather warmed, they did it some to restore blood flow ( or something of the sort ).  The imagery of the northern lights and the scenery was superb in this book. I wish I could recall the name.

A other story I cant recall the title of was a kid and his mountain man dad. They were in colonial days. The dad couldn't function in society and raised his kid off the land. They were nomadic. The dad had all kinds of spots across thousands of miles memorized of good places to trap and camp. Sometimes in a downpour they would huddle in a hollowed out tree that the dad knew was there. They would bear hunt in the dead of winter, looking for the steam of the bears breath as it hibernate. On especially cold winter the dad left his boy with a girl they had come across, boy went hunting, as an excuse to leave the family, as he couldn't stand the social interaction, and the burden he placed on an already hungry family, but he killed a bear. His thoughts were that bear would feed him for the winter by himself, but realised he could pay his debt to the family who cared for him with the meat so he brought it to them, rather than stay on his own in the woods, tracking down his father.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
I just read "The Road." Its post apocalyptic. its a book for the collage bound which is a book that will give you a diffrent view of the world. it was amazing but not primitive.

There's also the island of the blue dolphins.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 08:33:37 am »
I wish I  could remember the title... But the basic  story was a kid was in a commuter plane over the Alaska or Canada bush. The plane crashed. Three survived, the pilot, the kid, and an old native who spoke no english. The pilot didnt live long, he went over a water fall in the aircraft  riding it on top like a bull, certain of his fate, he wanted to go out like the bull rider he always wanted to be.

remembered me the book of G.Paulsen "Hatchet"
I was intrigued and tried to find online what book you were talking about. It turns out there are many many books and movies very similar on the subject

on the catastrophe/survival series I would include Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Offline txdm

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:29 am »
Richard and Kathleen Gear's Earth Child series(North America) are great reads.

I found H. William and Kathleen Gear's "People of..." series. Apparently about Cahokian civilization. I'm stoked to start reading them as soon as I'm done with my current book.

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:50 am »
I know most didn't like the Revenant but I watched it as fiction and thought it was a good movie. If you google the making of the movie the conditions were pretty bad and many extra's quit.  If I remember right someone that posts on here made all the bows and arrows that was used in the movie.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 03:21:11 am »
As someone pointed out in another thread the Ray Mayers documentaries cover alot of primitive skills aspects
Some could be found on youtube

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 04:00:05 am »
another fine book:

"The gathering night" by Margaret Elphinstone

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:51 am »
Sort of burned out on the Gear's series after about 5 of them.  I found the prologues very interesting, but the story lines all too similar to each other.  Didn't watch the Revenant, but found the Ranger Handbook and the Air Force Survival Manual most interesting.  The "Earth's Children" by Jean Auel are very good and well researched.  Often wonder if Ayla ever reunites with her son, Durc!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 12:28:07 pm »
Jerry, book #7 was written but after Jean Auel died by another author. I tried to get it from the library but even they couldn't get it. Apparently it is in court for copyright infringement. I'd also like to know what happened after they reached France and what happened to Durk.
 I liked the all of the Gear's "People of..." series and have read a few of them 2 or 3 times.
 I just started "Shaman" by Kim Stanley Robinson yesterday and so far I like it. Like in Jean Auel's Earth Child series I find the interaction between modern man and Neanderthal interesting and intriguing.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC