Author Topic: New batch of Khan's tonkin shafts  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Todd Mathis

Re: New batch of Khan's tonkin shafts
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 09:19:54 am »
Do you get your shafts from tiger?
I got a few thousand a while ago and the measured spines were quite far off the mark and I do wish they wouldn't sand the nodes so far. Most are good but the odd one broke at the nodes when final straightening because they were too aggressively reduced.
Sorry for the late reply.  No, I used to get my shafts from Tiger.  Those are the mediocre shafts I talk about.  he isn't the only one.  I get mine from a very hard to find company who sells their shafts mainly in Japan.  They harvest their own bamboo shafts which have been transplanted to another growing region with excellent results.  Tigers are fatter shafts, and they begin to shred apart when I bevel them for a nock or a point.  They are not as dense.  When they are harvested appears to make a big difference.  There is more to the story, but I'm still having coffee to wake up...Merry Christmas to all.  The message of Peace and Goodwill could use a little more promotion for us all. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:29:19 am by Todd Mathis »

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 09:23:33 am »
yes  as Pat said, weight in the rear  will stiffen the dynamic spine, but at a large cost to performance .
you would lose FOC %, and also negatively effect flight characteristics.
 i think a nail might be excessive, when fine tuning arrows, just the mass of the fletching or a vinyl cap wrap can make a significant difference.
I would love to meet some of you guys at OJAM and compare notes and see what you are shooting.  They have me scheduled to teach a seminar, but I would love to shoot some of your arrows.  by the way, I have been told to bring shafts to sell.  Who has been to OJAM...Is this a good idea?  Thanks to all.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 09:40:57 am »
yes  as Pat said, weight in the rear  will stiffen the dynamic spine, but at a large cost to performance .
you would lose FOC %, and also negatively effect flight characteristics.
 i think a nail might be excessive, when fine tuning arrows, just the mass of the fletching or a vinyl cap wrap can make a significant difference.
I would love to meet some of you guys at OJAM and compare notes and see what you are shooting.  They have me scheduled to teach a seminar, but I would love to shoot some of your arrows.  by the way, I have been told to bring shafts to sell.  Who has been to OJAM...Is this a good idea?  Thanks to all.

I think you'll see more guys at the MOJAM than the OJAM IMO. I at least dont hear as much about the OJAM than the MOJAM.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
Maybe we can get Todd to come over to MoJam, too!  Get him out on the "circuit"! (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 04:40:02 pm »
Almost too many folks at OJAM last time I was there. Great place to learn though.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 09:23:24 pm »
Maybe we can get Todd to come over to MoJam, too!  Get him out on the "circuit"! (SH)
Hawkdancer
What is Mojam?  Is there a contact or website?  I highly impressed by how much ya'll have done with arrow building.  I'll bring the Jameson's if I can get there.  Date?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 09:57:05 pm »
Todd, you might consider the Tennessee Classic at the end of April or early May. 600+ trad and primitive shooters with their families, all shooters. Limited vender spaces but Pappy can give you info about it. His hunting club, Twin Oaks Bowhunters sponsor the shoot on Pappy's 400ac farm and most are camping on site. Two competition 20 target 3D ranges, a 20 target practice 3D range plus a target butts set up from about 10 yards out to about 50 yard shots. The big plus is this is probably the largest wood bow building event anywhere around. Bows, arrows and other fun stuff being made for a week before the official event on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
 Pappy will probably be posting the dates after the first of the year in the "Shoots and Events" thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 11:40:38 pm »
Big doings at Marshall, MO, 3rd week of July.  The new information should be up pretty soon.  Officially, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, break camp on Sunday.  Some people are there like Friday or Saturday before!  Might check back in the "Around the Campfire" for last year's thread.
Hawkdancer

Jerry

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:44 am »
Big doings at Marshall, MO, 3rd week of July.  The new information should be up pretty soon.  Officially, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, break camp on Sunday.  Some people are there like Friday or Saturday before!  Might check back in the "Around the Campfire" for last year's thread.
Hawkdancer
"The center for the intrepid" is a large medical center in San Antonio for active duty and retired military who have gone through significant injury in the Iraq/Afganistan.  there seems to be a natural connection between arrow making, archery, and related areas.  I'm looking into bringing one or two with me who have an interest.  I'm actually looking for an apprentice, so this may work out all the way around.  Given my health problems, it is best to travel with others.  I'm hoping I can get to a few and learn more.  It may be a HUGE positive for them.  Thanks for the info ya'll.  very helpful.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 12:05:44 pm »
Hawkdancer
What is Mojam?  Is there a contact or website?  I highly impressed by how much ya'll have done with arrow building.  I'll bring the Jameson's if I can get there.  Date?
we will have to convert you to Tullamore DEW, Sexton, or Kerns!  After the bows are put away, of course!  Middleton's is good, too, but over my pocketbook!  Seems to be quite a nymber of veterans in this group!  Bows, arrows, etc, are good therapy, and this is a place to communicate.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 06:50:08 am »
Hawkdancer
You know...I can see that ya'll are gonna have a bad influence on me.  I'm guessing you are the people my mama warned me about!
My shredded immune system from relapsed Leukemia and high dose Chemo, Shingles, meningitis, and diabetes...and my M.I a few months ago, with a stint, and now on blood thinners...I do have to stay in hotels.  I wouldn't be the guy anyone would want camping with them.  I used to be an infantry officer and lived outdoors for weeks at a time...but no longer.  We each have our own history, but I very much enjoy just hanging out, chatting with, and breaking/losing arrows with others like me.  Possibly I will be starting to work with "the center for the intrepid" soon.  Apparently some of these guys are highly interested in this thing we all do.  I am hoping to find a traveling buddy or two...they may be more the camper type.  It would be nice to help some of them find a good place to fit in.  Ojam, Mojam, the tennessee classic, all those might just be a great thing to look into.  AND it should be a good place for business if they'll let me.
Merry Christmas to you all.  Hope everyone has a safe winter.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »
What! A bad influence?!  Us?!  Why, we are all sweet innocent, reputable, upstanding men and women!, well sometimes!  (lol) (lol) >:D >:D!  Lots of vets from all branches!  Looking forward to MoJam already!  Happy holidays!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
Still after deer with these arrows and one of my selfbows, wish me luck!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 01:31:37 pm »
This is a tough time of year for bow hunting but at least most folks have gone home and left the woods unmanned. Good luck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2019, 08:40:27 am »
Yes and it is warm and windy.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm