Author Topic: Start of an osage ALB  (Read 22614 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Start of an osage ALB
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2021, 02:10:32 pm »
Looking good Pat!  How deep is the handle at this point? 

Offline gifford

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2021, 02:45:34 pm »
Great pictures-step by step-on the bulbous handle layout and execution.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2021, 04:33:35 pm »
TimBo, it's about 1 1/2"  maybe a little less at this point. I will adjust it to my hand later when I start shooting. I still have to determine top and bottom limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2021, 12:53:01 am »
Really enjoying and learning! Just thinking through sweating...if it’s not perfect tiller isn’t it going to pick up set in the weak spots though? It would make me think that you shouldn’t sweat it unless you got it almost perfect. What am I missing?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2021, 09:38:16 am »
You are right, Kidder. If the tiller is off sweating can cause problems.  Even though this bow's tiller at 1/2 to 3/4 draw isn't perfect at brace it is close enough to sweat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2021, 04:20:52 pm »
I think the sweating is a gentle way to reveal the way the bow would take set and you can correct that before its over strained,, when I first unstring it I can see what needs correcting,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »
I think you're right, Brad plus I think it helps to balance the limbs somewhat too.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2021, 06:28:42 pm »
your right Pat,, I think so too,,

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2021, 09:59:40 am »
Thanks for posting this build along Pat.  I haven't built one in a long while, but this has inspired me.  Can't wait to see it all finished up!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2021, 11:59:11 am »
I woke up on Friday and my lower back decided go a different direction than the rest of my body.  :o So I've been laying around with my friends, Ibuprofen and heat pad and not getting much bow work done. This happens occasionally so I just deal with it the best I can for a few days and then I'll be back to normal. Thanks for your patience.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »
Hope you get feeling better Pat.

Mines been doing that for about six months or so.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:02 pm »
I've been dealing with this for 30 years now, BJ. I learned early on that when I feel it going I have to just relax for a few days and it will pass. The few times I ignored it it really put me down. A few years ago I was on the couch for 3 months because I ignored it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »
Since I won't be bracing or drawing my bow for a while I decided to show another little trick I use on my bows. Generally the back of the handle is relatively flat with square but with rounded edges. This is uncomfortable for me so I started adding a rounded overlay on the back. I used to own a leather shop so I have these shoe sole leather precuts. They are about 1/4" thick. Other materials can be used like cork or even cardboard.

I cut out a strip that is about 4" long and a little over an inch wide.

then go to the belt sander and shape it to a long oval.

then round the edges and across the back.

and try it on for size

after shaping I soak the leather in water until it is malleable, remove the excess water, and size the flat side of the leather and the back of the handle with TBIII

put them together and hold them in place with strips of rubber bands. I also use rubber backs as clamps for tip overlays.

to be continued...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:08:43 pm by Pat B »

Offline RandyN

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:00 pm »
Pat,,Great build along.  Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed the pics of the leather backing of the handle. Great idea that I may be using on a future bow. Take care of your back. I'm sure you are aware since you have been going through it for 30 years. A back is something you don't want to mess with. Stay healthy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:21 pm »
You're not gonna believe this but I got the bow tillered, sanded and put a few shots through her yesterday. She was coming in a little light so I piked her by about 1" at each tip. She is now 62" N/N and 64" T/T, is pulling about 43#@26" and shoots pretty good. I decided to keep the finish pretty simple so there will be no tip overlays. I will add a rattan handle wrap and a floppy rest.
Just so you'll believe I'm finishing her up here is a pic for your viewing pleasure. More to come...