Author Topic: Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)  (Read 13935 times)

Offline Fox

Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:50:16 pm »
okay, decide to make a new thread now that I know what I'm planning on doing with this bow thanks to Bownarra, and Timbo, and a few others.

58" long 1 3/4" wide tapers to 1 1/2" 12" out from fades. I'm aiming for 50@26 but will be happy with wherever it starts shooting good, so long as it's hunting weight. I took the advice from the few on my other thread and made it semi bend thru the handle.

braced.

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

40# @15"  I think the tillers pretty close at the moment? It's a little funky cause the left limb has more reflex the right. as you can see in unbraced pick.

Unbraced.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:51:58 pm by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Re: Hickory-Short-Sinew build.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:55:36 pm »
Oh and also there's a small amount of deflex at the fades of both limbs, not sure if you can see that in pics.

So my questions are..... how's the tiller? I can't tell if the handles bending... I think it is a little should it bend more? It's 1/2" thick right now. Also the MC% on the belly wood is under 6% I believe, is this too dry? should I sprits the back with water??     and lastly when should I sinew it?

sorry so many questions!!! im just liking the way this ones looking and dont want to miss anything! thanks! :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:48:31 pm »
  Fox,, its hard for me to tell in photos,, so I am hesitant to comment, but seems you could get the mids and outers bending a bit more,, that being said,, since you gonna sinew back, you gonna have to re tiller when you see how it reacts on the bow,,
   I would sinew back now,, I wouldnt get carried away trying to get alot of reflex,, on your first bow, but if you gently heated on the tiller board backwards so its got a little reflex,, that would be good,, I have strung bows backwards to sinew, and it works but it can crack a bow if too aggressive,, so I suggest a gentle reflex to start,, and with 4 layers of sinew you will hold some reflex,,
ok thats tricky cause every one has a different concept of one layer,, so weigh out your sinew and put about 1000 grains,,,,thats a good happy medium,, like I said there are lots of ways to approach it,, and lots of ways work,, I like the way Laubin describes his method in his book,,but just start and you will find your own way that works that will be a combination of several concepts,,

Marc suggest lightly sanding ,, so do that on the back, I am old school and wash the back and rough it up, but I think either is ok for hickory,, Jim Hamm taught me,, so I still do like he told me,,he would heat to bend using oil,, so washing it was necessary,,
    there are lots of ways to do it,, just go with the general consensis,, and youll be ok,, its a forgiving medium,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:50:34 pm »
you wont be able to tell if handle is bending till you get close to full draw,,

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »
I like that profile!  It should be a sweet bow. 

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 11:25:43 pm »
Thanks Timbo I’m excited with how it’s going!

Thanks so much for the great reply brad  :)

I’m hesitant to heat it again because I heat out a lateral twist that I wouldn’t want to come back....I’ve heard of sinewing it and then putting like a 25# weight on the Handle with the tips suspended on chairs or something... would that work for adding some reflex ? Or is heating necessary?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 12:35:01 am »
yes that would work,,make sure you make notes so you can modify your process as needed,,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:56:50 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 01:01:02 am »
Okay thanks brad  :)

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions  ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 01:07:35 am »
thats ok, I used to drive people crazy asking so many questions,,

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:28:02 am »
Left side needs to bend more in the mid to outer limb and right side is the same but more outer
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:13:00 am »
To me it looks like an almost hinge starting midlimb on the right side just above where the next row of siding
In the woods I find my peace

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:56:32 am »
If you put 25 lbs of weight I think you’ll get a lot of reflex.  I get 2” with just the bow only between two tall chairs.  I’d try more like 5-10 but that’s just gut feeling.  Just depends how radical you want the reflex. 

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 12:05:49 pm »
Okay thanks guys.... yeah Russell I definitely see that.... but remember this has a slight r/d profile with that left limb having more reflex..... Allyn I think I might see what your talking about ?  Like right where the reflex starts on the right limb ?

Offline Fox

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 04:01:18 pm »
okay, more questions...

tillered it a little more today, just wanted to make sure it's even before I sinew it cause otherwise wouldn't the reflex be uneven?
anyway, I think it's about where I want it for now. it's at 40#@20". I shot it a bit and it's already super-fast!... it has taken maybe 1/4" set.

Okay... and now the string alignment, It's pretty close to center shot because of the string being slightly off to one side. it shoots great and feels good, do I need to make the string right in the middle of the handle? or is it all good that it's off to one side a bit?

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 07:55:48 pm »
Should I wash the sinew with soap ???