Author Topic: Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)  (Read 13969 times)

Offline Fox

Re: Hickory-Short-Sinew build. (Bow sinewed pics page 2)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 09:49:24 pm »
Thanks, WB! sorta 2 layers... I did 2 full layers and one strip down the middle so more like 2 1/3d :)

Yeah, brad and I thought I felt that way just watching a stave dry..... but now only a few weeks and it's a better bow than before!

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2021, 06:54:58 pm »
looking good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 12:52:32 pm »
Nice!
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2021, 01:56:03 pm »
Fox Id let it slow dry .. the beauty of sinew is when it slow cures with hide glue it gets the full effect you seek... I wouldn't IMO try to fast cure it.. gut

bownarra

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:55 pm »
Sinew can be quick dried if you put it on in 1mm thick layers, 2 weeks drying per layer. Unfortuntely the drying time goes up exponentially if you apply it in thicker layers.
1mm - 2 weeks , 2mm - 4 weeks, 3mm - 9 weeks, 4mm - 16 weeks, 5mm 25 weeks.
Forced drying will result in weaker glue bonds. It will however likely still be plenty strong enough though so don't worry.
Your edges liftinf is from drying too quickly.
Ideally once you are finished put the bow upside down in a cool, draft free place. This is to lose the intial moisture slowly. Once the bow has lost some water it can slowly be exposed to higher temps and some air flow.
Don't expect the sinew itself to 'pull in' loads of reflex.
To get the reflex you need to either do as you have done or reverse brace it. After a few days you can add weight or tighten the sting to increase the reflex.

Offline Fox

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2021, 10:24:12 pm »
Yeah gut it’s just inside with some weight on it... 8 pounds right now... I took the fan off after seeing the edges lift.... it’s all good now I think. Bownarra, I think it’s around 1-2 mm thick right now (after drying for 4 days) it’s kinda hard to measure though... so that would mean let it dry for 3 ish weeks ? I’m not worried about time too much I can be patient if needed  ;D

Offline Fox

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:47 pm »
It’s taken around 1.5” reflex so far ..

Offline Fox

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2021, 12:12:39 am »
The left limb has taken a lot more reflex than the right I guess because it had natural reflex there before ::)

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Fox

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2021, 03:59:47 pm »
Okay, another update! and some more questions. so one limb has 2 1/4" reflex and the other 3"... not too worried about that, it will just make the tiller look funky correct?  but I am a little worried about these ends of sinew and these places that aren't quite right seeming... should I do anything about this? I'm thinking ill start cleaning the bow up a bit today or tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks on Tuesday, ill probably wait another week before tillering though, what do you think?

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Fox

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2021, 04:00:52 pm »
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2021, 06:06:54 pm »
ok  you gonna get lots of variation on how to address that, lifts,,
I would sinew wrap there,, tiller throught the wrap and then wrap again when done tillering,,those spots seem like the sinew was too stiff when you put it on,, like didnt soak in water or didnt let it get soft enough in the warm glue,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2021, 06:29:20 pm »
Okay so wrap anywhere that had a little lift like that? and when tillering just scrape over the sinew that will be on the belly side?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2021, 08:22:07 pm »
yes and re apply if you need to,, may not need too,,

gutpile

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:18 am »
just do a fill in coarse. on those spot.. maybe sand it down and do fill in... . looks like just a couple of spots..you shouldnt have to wait a full two weeks on the fill in.. look good.. I like to hang the 25lb weight for a good month or two here... Ga in basement where temp stays around 67 at all times... slow dry... last cedar bow pulled close to 3 to 4 inch of reflex that way.. still holds 1 1/2 after till and shoot in.. snappy bow...

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:36 pm »
How’s it lookin Fox?   (-P