Author Topic: Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)  (Read 13950 times)

Offline Fox

Re: Hickory-Short-Sinew build. (Bow sinewed pics page 2)
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:16 pm »
I was going to start tillering yesterday but I am heading to the mountains for a few days so I figured I’ll wait another week.... I did clean it up a bit though... it’s pulled about 2.5” of reflex although it’s super uneven one limb has way more.... that’s fine though I think  :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2021, 03:06:41 pm »
yes just tiller it so it pulls even at full draw,,it will be fine,, the braced profile might not look even,, thats ok,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2021, 07:09:55 pm »
Yes so this is something I’ve wondered about.. so when tillering a bow with uneven reflex, so at full draw do you want the limbs to “look” like there bending the same distance?  Or do you want the limb with more reflex to look like it’s bending less the the other limb?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2021, 03:08:42 pm »
   I make it look like its bending about the same distance,, I am shooting the bow as I tiller so that has more to do with the final tiller than the "look" of it,, but I find if it looks about even at full draw I can adjust the tiller from there by shooting it,,if you getting great arrow flight, and feel the bow is shooting well,, then your tiller is ok,, on a bow like that sometimes the braced profile may not look conventional,, just orientate the bow with the string laying to the arrow side,,that will dictate your top limb,,I like haveing the reflexed limb on the top,, some do not, but that usually works best for me,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 11:50:08 pm »
Okay started tillering today! I think it's going well, pretty tricky though...It's got a little under 1.5" of reflex right now and is tillered out to 45 @ 20" and started out with somewhere around 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" reflex.  :)

Finally some sunny days! flowers are out and leaves are on the black haws! love this time of year!

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 03:19:04 am »
so that would be 50 at 22 and 55 at 25  60 at 26,,,
what are you aiming for,,
if you pull it to 26 and even the tiller after it stablizes you will get at least 55@ 26 
I think the tiller is looking good,, I forget how long the bow is,, ok went back and looked its 58,,
so I think you ok out to 28 if you want,, 26 wouldl be a good erring on the side of not pushing the limit,, and will still shoot hard,,but up to you, you the boss of your bow,, ;D
looking goo
   also the further you pull it, the more likely some of the reflex will pull out,, and that gonna mess with your tiller,, it will kind of a trade off,,in draw length, verses the bow holding the profile,, sometimes I keep drawing it out till i sense the profile is changing, and then I stop there,, but I have been more agressive and drawn it out too far,,, and lost some reflex, but the longer draw compensated a bit and still had good performance,, its a trade off,, today my opinion is to stop before you pull out the reflex,,
  I think you could shoot it at 26 now,, but if it blows, I didnt say that,, ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:30:47 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2021, 09:25:36 am »
More bend in the inner right? or is there a wiggle?

Offline Fox

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2021, 10:38:11 am »
Okay great.... I only draw to 26 anyway   :) (not sure why I’m 6’) ;D

I’ll Probly tiller out another 5 pounds so I hit somewhere around 55@26 at 60 my form starts to fall apart :)

Tradecraft... not much character in right limb, I see a spot that could maybe use a few scrapes at like mid right, but the inner (next to fades?) Are bending a good bit... thanks for the input :) and

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:08 am »
I meant it might be bending slightly more there.

Offline Fox

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:08 am »
I meant it might be bending slightly more there.

Oh got it  (lol)  (lol)

I would definitely agree with that! I’ll work on that !  :OK

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 12:49:58 pm »
im 6 ft draw 25 or 26 27 depending on bow,,,, I face forward so my draw is shorter,, I can shoot longer draw or shorter too,but thats my comfort zone,, do what gets you good arrow flight and accuracy,,  of course on really short bows I draw less,, and can shoot 30 inch draw but have to stand sideways and dont like it,

gutpile

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 01:32:48 pm »
if right limb is upper.. appears slightly longer I think you need to move the bow on tree to left some .. I might be wrong... gut
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:48:34 pm by gutpile »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
Looking good.  Always tough to tell from static pictures.  At first I wondered if the outer thirds looked stiff but I see that they are moving.  Looking forward to see how you will finish it.  Looks like a nice place you’ve got there.
1’—>1’

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 04:11:55 pm »
the outer thirds are a bit reflexed, so think they look little stiff I think thats good,, cause if they settle a bit you still ok,, might shift a bit at full draw and couple hundred shots,

Offline Fox

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 04:41:22 pm »
if right limb is upper.. appears slightly longer I think you need to move the bow on tree to left some .. I might be wrong... gut

Gut it is symmetrical design... but right limb is a little bit weaker then left and right limb also will be bottom because the string lays that way on the handle. Im going to go and scrape on the other limb a bit :OK