Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 118150 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2022, 06:38:09 am »
Then it was time for cake and ice cream.

My daughter in law is quite the birthday cake baker. She always makes some special cakes. I have lots of birthday cake pictures over the years. This time Cliff wanted a sports theme. It’s a nice cake, but honestly I like the farm and construction theme ones better. It’s a nice cake though and it tastes good. Cliff loved it and his cousin did to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2022, 06:41:25 am »
After the party I took a quick crop tour.

The wheat is just starting to head out.

The clover cover crop looks like it is still doing fine.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2022, 12:14:24 pm »
Yesterday morning I did a quick look at the navy beans I planted on Memorial Day. They were starting to poke out.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2022, 12:17:50 pm »
Then stopped at the Coop to fill up with E-85. I’ve got 170,000 miles on my truck and it’s almost all I have burned in it. No problems at all. Sure is going to be a expensive fall if these prices don’t come down before harvest and fall tillage.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2022, 12:28:18 pm »
One of the best things about the new sprayer ended yesterday. I hadn’t really run it yet.lol Sure was nice to have my nephew take over while I was planting. I usually had to somehow do both before and the days got very long.

Yesterday wasn’t really raining yet it was dripping around just a little. Decided to apply the nitrogen on the sugar beets. They need nitrogen early and a nice shower to soak it in was forecast for today. Got the nitrogen applied to all the beets and we do get a beautiful slow .75” shower. Perfect timing. Still a little cool but I’m not complaining.

I guess I’m starting to feel comfortable in this spaceship of a sprayer.

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2022, 08:37:10 am »
Cake and ice cream always a good thing!

Nice view from inside that spray rig. I'll be getting my boom sprayer out this week for the sweet corn. drive past it the other day and noticed its about time for it to start shooting silk. Still might make the 4th of July for that 1st couple fields. The crew started picking strawberries Monday of last week, kinda a poor year for them as the deer and ground hogs put a big hit on them over the winter.

Finished up the bailing season the other night. 24 round bails, use to do about 700-800 a year so not much any more. Always enjoyed the work but trying to get all the timing down all summer long was a pain. and without a tedder I always needed 1 more day of drying time.

Maybe I'll have some time over the weekend to get a few pics up but I best be headed out for now.
Mike     

Offline Stoker

« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2022, 03:10:21 pm »
Looks like it's coming along. Great your timing was on.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2022, 09:20:03 am »
Hasn’t been very good hay making weather here this week Mike. Hope yours is better.

I did manage to get the wheat sprayed for vomitoxcin. It’s a disease that can make your wheat toxic so it isn’t safe for either human or animal consumption. We are getting perfect environmental conditions for it right now. The fungicide only offers limited protection. I hope it’s enough because this is getting to be a very, very expensive crop year. We absolutely need decent crops.

Yesterday was one of those heart breakers. My daughters little dog Zoey took a dramatic turn for the worst. She was doing so good and just like that the switch was flipped. She passed away in my arms and it was a heartbreaker.

Our whole family is going to really miss that little dog. She brought so much joy to us. She was a blessing.

Growing up on a farm in learned about losing animals, pets and loved ones from a very early age. I know it’s part of life. Some people may even think I’m cold hearted, but they are wrong. Just because I have grown up with it doesn’t mean it’s easy. RIP Zoey.

Could have missed the pain, but would have had to miss the dance.

Was a great dance Zoey

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2022, 09:44:34 am »
Zoey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2022, 12:18:23 pm »
Sorry for your family loss, Brian. It's the love that makes it hurt so much and it's something we all experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2022, 04:21:15 am »
Always sad to hear of a loss like that. Been through it too many times Myself. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2022, 07:41:12 am »
Thank You Pat and Bob. I to have lost a lot of pets and loved ones. They all hurt. This one hurts especially bad.

We are so happy my daughter was blessed with Zoey. She was so good for her when she was going through some very difficult life struggles. She’s broken hearted now, but I think she is going to be okay.
This truly was her baby as she can’t have any of her own. I was a little apprehensive about her getting a animal that she had to train and care for, but she did a fantastic job of it.

We will be looking for another puppy. Not another Zoey. But hopefully a puppy that can give and receive love like that little girl did.

Thanks again Bob and Pat for your caring words. They do help.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #267 on: June 15, 2022, 07:29:22 pm »
That's rough losing a pet, but a new puppy sure makes it easier.   Hopefully she can find one soon!  Maybe 2!

Growing up on a farm, pets came and went fairly often, lots of dangers for pets on a farm not to mention the road.  But there were those special ones that I remember very well and was rough when they passed.

My lab now has it made, he's lying in the kitchen right now because he thinks it's too hot outside.  Well,,,, I'm inside too...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2022, 10:24:13 pm »
Glad you have your lab Buckskinner. They really are good dogs. Have had a few and they were all smart well behaved dogs.

My wife and daughter have been looking for puppies. I think they might have found one. Afraid we can’t afford two.

They are pretty excited and going to look at them tomorrow. I hope it turns of good. They are hoping the puppies are cute. All puppies are cute.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #269 on: June 17, 2022, 09:55:53 pm »
My daughter got her new puppy. Named her Roxy and so far so good. Cute little bugger. My wife and daughter are so happy it really feels good to see that. We all still really miss Zoey, but we a happy to welcome Roxy to our family.

It’s been either on the cold side with short spells of just plain hot. It took awhile for the black beans to come up but we finally got a couple hot days again and they came up.

You can see the residue from the rye cover crop still on top of the soil. I’m really glad it’s there right now. We’ve had three days of very high winds and if we didn’t have the residue on top our dirt would be blowing and our beans would be getting cut off. Afraid there going to a lot of people who don’t have residue that are going to have to replant and hope they don’t blow off again.

Bjrogg