Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 117708 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2022, 09:56:47 pm »
Black beans
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2022, 10:04:26 pm »
Then we worked on our old 28% applicator. We had to add two more rows. Had to widen the frame. Plumb up two more rows and reconfigure the rate controller.

Got it all working today.

Corn needs nitrogen later so we split the applications and put most of the nitrogen on now just before the corn gets tall. It’s to the stage it really grows fast.

Was 94 two days ago high of 64 predicted for tomorrow. Lows back in the 40’s. We could use a little rain again, but I’m not complaining yet.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:16:41 pm by bjrogg »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2022, 05:10:51 am »
Bj I know very little about agricolture so forgive me for the dumb question
Is there an automatic way to drive your vehicle so that it doesnt mash all the plants?
seems to me so easy to get distracted and destroy everything

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2022, 10:22:58 pm »
GlisGlis in the old days we called it a steering wheel and we had to spend many, many hours steering it and it took a lot of concentration to avoid what we called "iron worm". Now we have GPS and auto steer that steers the tractor for us.

Today I went with my cousin to the Huron Nature Center. My cousin has a nice collection of artifacts that he has found. He's been giving a presentation at the Nature Center for 8 years. I've been doing one with him for four years now. Our presentations complement each other.

It was a small but nice gathering. 33 people attended which is pretty good for the center. They were a very interested and fun crowd. They seemed to really enjoy the presentation and asked lots of good questions. Kevin and myself really enjoyed doing the show and gave us a good excuse to get together again. We both like sharing our passions with others who appreciate them.

This Afternoon I worked at putting nitrogen on my sons corn

Bjrogg   

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2022, 07:14:42 am »
ty Bj
I recently read that during middle age the wheat harvest was less then 1.5 times what they sowed on average
Surely agricolture has made giant leaps

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2022, 02:59:11 pm »
ty Bj
I recently read that during middle age the wheat harvest was less then 1.5 times what they sowed on average

We plant between 1.5 bu. Per acre and up to 3 if it gets really late into end of October or beginning of November. We personally very rarely plant that late.

We shoot for 130 bu. Per acre harvest. And if we get below 110 we are a little disappointed. So I would say your right in your assessment GlisGlis. We are in a good climate for winter wheat though.

Also with harvest, storage and quality.

We had a really nice shower this morning. Catching up in the office. Our crops are really going to like this shower.

Played with the new puppy Roxy yesterday. Looks like a stuffed animal, but it’s not. Funny they had a qualification list. Small, short haired and female. I guess they got two out of three.

I’m a little jealous. She’s got a better beard than me.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2022, 03:34:19 am »
Cute Pup ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2022, 06:27:07 am »
We plant between 1.5 bu. Per acre and up to 3 if it gets really late into end of October or beginning of November. We personally very rarely plant that late.

We shoot for 130 bu. Per acre harvest. And if we get below 110 we are a little disappointed. So I would say your right in your assessment GlisGlis. We are in a good climate for winter wheat though.

I had to check how much is a bushel. For metric people imperial units are quite a nightmare  ;D
To tell the full truth in agricolture and forestal activities we also have non decimal units

Nice pup. She does not look very primitive  )P(   (lol)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2022, 07:17:12 am »
Thanks Bob.

Roxy spent her first night in her apartment last night. Hopefully everything went well.

GlisGlis we actually try to plant to a certain “population “

We weigh one pound of seed and count how many seeds are in that pound. So smaller seed we plant less pounds than larger seed. Early in the planting season we try for about 1.2 million seeds per acre.

Generally that’s about 120lbs per acre planted. That would be two bushels

If we harvest 130 bu. X 60 lbs a bushel = 7,800 lbs harvested per acre.

I think if I did my math right that’s about 65 times more than what we planted.

Of course Mother Nature has her say in the mater to.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2022, 07:08:35 am »
Finished up putting the nitrogen on the corn and sprayed the post emergence herbicides on the beans.

The little shower we had Monday was much appreciated. We have been a little on the dry side. We haven’t had much rain, but what we have had has come really slow and every drop soaked in.

We are starting to get caught up in the fields. Still have a lot of stuff to do in the shop to get ready for wheat harvest.

My cousin is arriving tonight. We grew up inseparable. He’s been living in California for close to forty years now. He comes back to visit every summer and I try my best to make some time in my busy schedule for spending with him. Somebody has to keep him out of trouble.

He’s kinda responsible in a roundabout way for me being addicted to all this primitive stuff.

I decided to pay him back a few years ago by making him this HHB Selfbow. I named it “Deep Roots”.
I know he has them. As he told me the other night. Time to come home and reboot my soul.

I think it’s time to shoot his bow again to.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2022, 05:48:25 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow!  Glad you are getting some rain here and there.  We've been really dry, my lawn is brown and the corn looks more like pineapple.  Seems like the rains always go north or south of us.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2022, 01:48:59 pm »
ty Bj

Saw a documentary on the beginings of agriculture in the neolithic age.
They found that in much of the middle east and asia wheat grew wild in sufficient quantity that a family could harvest enough in two weeks to feed them for a year.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2022, 06:14:13 pm »
Nice looking bow BJ. Ya if we don't get some rain here soon the poor farmers around here aren't going to make anything, dry as I have seen it in several years, some are already feeding hay to the cows. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2022, 04:37:53 am »
We are in the same situation. Terrible drought is posing a serious treath for all the cultivations
There are already ordinances to minimize the use of potable water. Pretty scary as "real" summer is yet to come

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2022, 06:52:10 am »
It always seems like we are either to dry or to wet. Been that way as long as I can remember. Right now we could use some rain. Would be nice to get some now a then get dry for wheat harvest. Don’t get to order the weather we want. Have to deal with what we get. Hope it works out.

Sometimes life is a Beach. In this case a nice secluded one. With a nice bonfire. My cousin and I sat around and tried to solve the problems of the world. Didn’t get them all solved, but did enjoy trying.

Probably take another bonfire on the beach or two yet before he leaves. It’s a good place to hang out and think about anything. Or nothing at all

Bjrogg