Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 117614 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2022, 08:33:28 am »
That bug looks familiar Buckskinner but I don’t remember for sure what it is. I’m hoping it’s some kind of predator bug eating unwanted bugs. If the numbers are high it probably means the unwanted pest numbers are high to. That’s what our ash trees look like to. Except most have fallen over and are laying in every direction making a walk through the woods very challenging.

Nice looking cob of sweet corn Mike. Mine is looking pretty nice now but it’s barely knee high yet. It’s to the stage it will really grow now though. Probably be ready around fair week. Sweet corn and blueberries. Good stuff. Blueberry is definitely way high up on my list of favorites.

Be watching to see what you get from that Osage log.

Bob I’ve only seen them in my ash tree by the hundreds of thousands that one year. I have seen lots of them before, but that time they were literally hanging from each other and you couldn’t have fit another one on the surface of the ash trees. They hung around like that for a couple days. We had a sugar beet test plot for Sugar beet Advancement that year and the fella that always checked on the test plot called me up very excited. Asked me if I saw all the butterflies? I told him I did and it was one of the memories I still have etched in my brain forever.

Once again “I was outstanding in my field “ .  This time one of my wheat fields. Always hard to guess what it’s going to do. This spot looks good yet. Sure could have used some rain but maybe we can still have a decent crop. Wheat makes me very nervous this time of year. I don’t stop worrying until it’s at the elevator and has passed the vomitoxin and falling numbers test. We have a lot of money invested in this crop and it’s gotta be milling quality or we lose.

Happy 4th of July everyone. I plan on spending the day at our beach with family and friends. Thanks to all who have made it possible for us to enjoy this freedom.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #301 on: July 05, 2022, 04:45:39 am »
Raining pretty good here rite now - hope Your getting some it ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #302 on: July 05, 2022, 07:53:35 am »
Hope you got some rain BJ, we finally did yesterday and through the night.  Came along perfect as well, started with a nice slow rain of about 1/4" to soften ground then good thunderstorms at night, probably close to 2".

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2022, 11:13:14 am »
Thanks for the wishes guys. We got between 1/10th and 2/10ths. Really could have taken ten times that but it buys a little time. The beans should like it. And everything else will be glad to get it to.

I was walking the beach last night and came across this digging.

What could it be?

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #304 on: July 05, 2022, 11:15:47 am »
It could be my favorite granddaughter and my grandson. Love watching them dig in the sand.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2022, 11:18:42 am »
Your right Buckskinner. Those critters are everywhere.

Also lots of bee’s

And a few of these.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2022, 07:17:27 am »
25 years ago today I married my soulmate Susie. My life has changed so much since that day. A few more challenges, but nothing I wouldn’t do over again and definitely for the better

My wife and I are celebrating by having a bonfire at our beach. It’s going to be very casual and probably not really well planned. Kinda like my bachelor days party’s. Should be fun.

We have been busy getting stuff ready for wheat harvest and taking care of crops. My cousin is back in California and I have been getting a little more sleep which I really was needing.

We are still very dry. The bigger rains have missed us and the .1” and 1/4” rains have spent the time they bought. We’re definitely farming the subsoil now and any ground that’s been abused by compaction is really showing it now.

At this point I’m hoping we can get a quick wheat harvest and then some decent rains.
Not much I can do about it though.

Last night I did some mowing at the beach. Looking forward to sharing it with friends tonight.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2022, 07:19:23 am »
Our beach

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2022, 08:58:26 am »
One saving grace has been the lake has kept our temperatures pretty cool and comfortable

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2022, 09:57:54 am »
Congratulations Brian and Susie. 25 years is quite an accomplishment.  :OK
 Is your property right on the lake? Can you use lake water for irrigation?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2022, 10:08:55 am »
Congrats on your 25th!  I will be there next year, hard to believe...  Have a great party!

Hope you get some rain soon!  It's crazy how much a good rain changes things, we were so dry there were knoll areas of our fields where the late planted soybeans were died off.  We probably got 3 inches last week over a 3 days span and everything is growing like crazy, corn probably grew a foot over the last couple days.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2022, 11:40:40 am »
Thanks Pat. It’s not as many as some, but it sometimes seems like a lifetime to me. Sometimes it’s hard to remember life as a single man even though I was that way for a quite awhile.

Yes our farm goes right to the shore of Lake Huron. I forget exactly but I think it’s something like 1130’ of shoreline.

My brother looked into using it for irrigation once and I don’t remember all the rules exactly so I hesitate to comment. I do want to say if we owned the shoreline we could use the lake for irrigation on the attached farm. Seems like there were a lot of rules about how you got the water from the lake. Like I said though I really don’t remember exactly and it wasn’t something we felt like we needed to pursue.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2022, 11:45:19 am »
Yup nothing like a big rain to effect your farming operation. Sometimes they are a blessing and sometimes they are a curse.

One right now could be both. Would probably ruin my wheat quality, but everything else would love it.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2022, 08:24:05 am »
Had a really nice bonfire for our 25 th anniversary.

Before everyone arrived my son and I had a little time to enjoy the fire.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2022, 08:30:36 am »
Congrats on 25 years, kind of rare these days. Beautiful place, all I have is creek front property .  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good