Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 118420 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2022, 08:35:49 am »
Thanks Pappy. Bring your bus and we’ll share it with you.

We appreciate our friends and family. They started showing up we were so happy to share this time and place with them.

Sure wish you all could have joined us.

Pretty good crowd for a Tuesday night with occasional sprinkles.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2022, 08:38:30 am »
Then the full moon showed up. It was peaking out from behind the clouds. It really does add to the charm of this place.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2022, 08:40:38 am »
Susie and I totally enjoyed ourselves just like we did 25 years earlier. It’s usually hard for me to get a picture of her but she took this selfie with me.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2022, 08:42:17 am »
Then everyone was gone except for me and the moon.

Bjrogg

PS thanks for looking. Wish You Were Here

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2022, 09:20:46 am »
Looks like a very nice evening had by all!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2022, 09:40:57 am »
Thanks Buckskinner. I hope you have a fantastic 25th next year.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #321 on: July 14, 2022, 05:41:27 am »
Great Pics BJ ! Noticed a Frieghter on the Horizon in one  Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #322 on: July 14, 2022, 07:54:33 am »
Thanks Bob. I have noticed that the freighter traffic has really picked up this year. Several times I’ve seen three on the horizon at the same time.

Yesterday I finished winterizing the planter. I have the fertilizer and quadris system completely cleaned out and antifreeze run through them.

Washed the planter several times getting all the nooks and crannies. Dried off good and then I use a hand garden sprayer to apply a mixer of hydraulic oil and diesel fuel. Really helps keep our 18 year old planter stay looking good. Fertilizer is really hard on them so it pays to do this prep work before I park it away.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #323 on: July 14, 2022, 08:12:22 am »
The wheat is getting closer. I sure hope we can get it off in good condition. As dry as we have been it would be a real kick in the___ to lose it now.

I can’t believe how nervous I get about the wheat crop anymore. I’m not the only one. It was one of the most common topics of discussion at the bonfire.

Bjrogg

PS here I am. Outstanding in my field again. About the same spot as the last time I posted from here. You can see the wheat is really turning now.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #324 on: July 14, 2022, 08:13:53 am »
Wheat

Offline M2A

« Reply #325 on: July 14, 2022, 08:18:45 am »
Happy 25 years! Looks like the party went well.

That planter sure does look nice for its age. I agree with how fertilizer can rust out the metal. sounds like you use liquid fertilizer. The old planter we have has boxes for granular. Although we do have a tank of nitan for the extra nitrogen in sweet corn at whorl.

Its nice to start to be able to put some equipment to sleep. I have some time before anything I use can get antifreezed. However the boss just got the last 2 acres of sweet corn in the ground on Monday. I was Heading past that way and got a pic from out my back window. Looked like it should make a good pic but looks like everything was too far away to see well.
IMG_4760 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
The fellas out to start and pick tomatoes and peppers next week, So far so good with them. Actually pretty pleased with those crops so far. After thinking things were going well in the apples it will end up being disappointing after such a cold and wet spring, but will still get some nice fruit its just going to be alot of work at the packing table grading them out. Cant win them all. Still could use the rain here as well. Been running the irrigation pumps all the time now. The large dam(5 acre surface)  is down 3 feet or so, No danger in running out but Lots of extra work when it gets dry.
Mike   

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2022, 03:05:39 pm »
As a kid I would clean a handful of wheat out of the field and put it in my mouth and chew it until it turned into gum, albeit wheat flavored gum but gum nonetheless.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2022, 07:30:49 am »
Good luck with the tomato’s and peppers Mike. My favorite apple tree isn’t going to have very many apples this year. You could probably have counted the blossoms on it this spring.

Buckskinner I still do that every year.

We tried a sample of my son’s wheat yesterday but it was still just a little bit too wet.  The ground sure isn’t though. Cracked and parched.

Was another really heavy dew again last night and wind is supposed to be off the lake again. Keeps our temperature down and makes it hard to get the wheat dry enough to harvest.

Have my granddaughters birthday party today so will spend some time there and then try the wheat this afternoon.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2022, 11:24:27 am »
Dang, that is dry!  We got good soaker yesterday, rained on off all day.  You are in a tough spot right now whether to wish for rain now or not...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2022, 10:42:54 pm »
We finished my son’s wheat today. It did pretty decent. Not sure what the exact yield was, but I think he is happy. I know he’s happy it’s off.

Had two combines and a cart going for awhile. Hydraulic line blew out on ours. Hopefully we can either fix it or get a new one.

Bjrogg