Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 117460 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2022, 07:27:10 am »
God Bless BJ. I have been in the exact situation, with both Parents. Bob

Thank Bob.

I’m sure that was very difficult.

I’m sure you have some idea how myself and my family feel now.

We have missed my dad for a long time already. It has been a difficult journey but we know he is a peace now. That does give us much relief.

It doesn’t stop the missing him. It does help very much though. We still miss him and many tear already have fallen and I’m sure many more will in the near future.

It does make it easier to remember the really good memories. I believe they will replace some of the very difficult ones as time goes on.

Thank You

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2022, 09:42:30 am »
My condolences,  BJ.  Going through that is a very difficult process with lots of conflicting  emotions.

I went through same situation with my dad several years ago, he had a very aggressive alzheimer's that took him from an active farmer to a unrecognizable form over a very short period.

The night before going into hospice he had a very bad turn and at his hospital bed I leaned down and gave him a hug and said I love you dad and he said I love you Scott.  It was the only understandable words that came out of his mouth that I'm aware of, for a second he was coherent and it shook me to my soul.  He was gone a week later.

It is a blessing when it's finally over yet so painful at the same time.

God bless, BJ.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2022, 10:22:56 am »
Thanks Scott. My dad wasn’t able to talk for several months now. Before when he was it wasn’t anything that was understandable.

The really strange thing is. Since he quit being able to talk I have had more of those seconds where I really think deep down he recognized me.

Anybody going through this. I would like them to know. Although it almost always seems like your loved one doesn’t know you or know your even there. Those seconds do happen.

I visited my dad on my birthday. I told him hello dad. It’s BJ. It’s my birthday today. 61 years ago today I made you a dad for the first time.

He hadn’t opened his eyes or sat up in months.

He suddenly opened his eyes wide. Sat up and looked right at me. He was trying to say something but couldn’t.

I told him it was okay. I know dad. He got a smile. Closed his eyes and laid back down.

When I visited him I read him articles I wrote for PA magazine. It seemed to make him comfortable. I don’t know if it mattered what I said, but I think somewhere deep inside he still recognized my voice and it gave him comfort

Just a few of those seconds made a huge difference to me.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2022, 10:29:57 am »
And here’s one that shows you never forget how to ride a bike. At this point in his life he only remembered a few of us. Even then not always.

He climbed on this bicycle in the shop and started riding it around. The shop was nearly empty and he had room to get up some speed. He was giggling like a little child. It was awesome

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2022, 12:38:36 pm »
Those pics made me smile, thanks for sharing.  He looks like a guy I'd have liked to have known.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #365 on: August 01, 2022, 07:24:56 am »
Those pics made me smile, thanks for sharing.  He looks like a guy I'd have liked to have known.

Thanks Scott.

I’m sure he would have liked to meet you to. He wasn’t shy for a old farm boy. He loved visiting with people.

Yesterday funeral arrangements were made and my sister and I wrote his obituary.

I never dreamed I would write as many things as I have. I was terrible in English and composition. My sister is the teacher. We both have been gifted a way with words. I’ve written a quite a few articles, poems and letters. That was the hardest writing assignment either of us ever had.

It’s going to be a busy week.

Grandkids at the fair. They have goat show today. Rabbit show tomorrow and feeder calf show Thursday.

Then sale day Friday.

I’m going to try get to goat show today, but that’s probably going to be it for me.

I was hoping to sneak out to Elm Hall shoot, but I don’t think that’s going to happen either.

Safe travels to everyone going to Elm Hall. Will miss you all
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: August 01, 2022, 08:54:10 am »
So sorry for your loss, Brian.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #367 on: August 01, 2022, 08:59:50 am »
So sorry for your loss, Brian.

Thank You Pat but Don’t be sorry.

My loss was long ago.

This is the start of a new adventure for my dad . He always loved going to new places.

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2022, 12:17:01 pm »
That's a great way to think about it.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2022, 08:58:24 pm »
Went to the fair to see the goat show today. Was a welcome distraction and good time spent with the grandkids.

I’m always a proud grandpa. But was really proud when my favorite granddaughter got Grand Champion with a goat she has raised from her own herd.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #370 on: August 01, 2022, 09:11:25 pm »
Then I got a few of dads things together.

They give me good memories.

His two handed catchers mitt he had in high school.

His fishing pole

He was a lifetime Tigers fan through thick and thin. His Cabrera triple crown signed bat and ball.

He made the wooden semi truck and trailer.

And a bundle of wheat from my field

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2022, 09:08:24 am »
My dad’s farm got some rain a couple weeks ago and the black beans are looking really nice.

We are supposed to get some rain tomorrow. We got some on my brothers farm yesterday and it was very much needed there.

Maybe dad can put in a word for us and pull a few strings.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2022, 09:55:39 am »
Great to see that your granddaughter is participating in the livestock show and a champion to boot!  It is a great experience for the kids in so many ways. I showed steers and hogs at county and WI State Fair through my youth, sold them at the county auction and that put me through college.  I still support the auction and bought a lamb a couple weeks ago, looking forward to picking it up and having a lamb-burger!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2022, 10:16:07 am »
Thanks Scott.

Yes it’s really good for the kids. Her two brothers show to and they all work hard at it. They didn’t place as high but I’m proud of them to.

Their mother is a Ag teacher, FFA Advisor and 4-H leader.

They have a pretty large inventory of animals now. They did a financial statement this spring and had over $7,000 worth of goats. That’s before the animals grew and many were still kid goats. They have been breeding and raising them for several years now and I’m pretty proud she got Grand Champion with one of her home grown goats. Even beat out the fancy high priced kids.

They also have a lot of rabbits and several feeder steers. They have a lot of chore to do and I think that’s a good thing.

They also know the struggles and joys of raising animals. They have enjoyed them. Been frustrated by them . Watch and assisted in their births and cried over their deaths.

I really do wish everyone could experience that.

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2022, 12:30:17 pm »
Amen!