Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 116896 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #465 on: October 02, 2022, 09:06:53 am »
There it sits on its new site.

Then we level it and put the stairs up.

Bjrogg

Should make a darn nice hunting spot for many, many years. I think it’ll out last me.

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #466 on: October 02, 2022, 05:47:06 pm »
No that's a stand. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #467 on: October 02, 2022, 06:02:36 pm »
Now all you need is a TV, a lounge chair and a frig and you can do an all day sit.  :OK  The Tower of Power!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #468 on: October 03, 2022, 03:41:01 am »
Way cool = I could live in that ! LOL . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #469 on: October 03, 2022, 07:05:23 am »
Yes it’s definitely a nice hunting blind and in a really nice spot to. We built three of them several years ago. The rest are on reclaimed treated 8”X 8” post. This one had to be taken down and moved.

My brother decided to make the tower from old beet digger rolls this time. While it was in our shop people who stopped by kept trying to figure out what we were making. I kept telling them it was a Parker Snovel wash plant.lol. My buddy DJ thought my brother was more the Tony Beets type without the hair.lol I’m affectionately calling it the Dredge.

It’s going to outlast us all I think. It’s very well built and a good use of reclaimed materials.

I climbed up and looked out the windows when we finished setting it up, but I didn’t have my phone with me to take pictures. It’s a really nice view. It’s sitting in what’s almost a meadow between two small food plots. There’s a small creek just to the north of it. It has windows from old bus all the way around with a trap door in the floor to enter or exit. It’s insulated and has a twenty pound propane can for its heater.

My brother has spent the night in it before.

Was a good project to do together. Maybe as much fun as hunting from it.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2022, 07:19:09 am »
I haven’t had time to get out hunting since opening day.

Sunday my brother and I took both combines and harvested 100 acres of black beans for a neighbor.

It went good. My brother farmed with me for most of my life. Several years ago we had serious financial difficulties and he left the farm for a job that actually pays you money. :o

He really enjoyed getting back in the combine for a day.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #471 on: October 04, 2022, 07:30:53 am »
Yesterday my son and I switched his combine over to soybeans. We did 40 acres for a neighbor so he could get his wheat planted. It went good and I was surprised that the yield was pretty decent. I really thought the soybeans would be a disaster. He did get a nice rain the same time my dads farm did in late July.

Today I think we will try some of our soybeans. They are almost all on sugar beet field end rows. It always takes a lot of running around putting headers on and off. Moving combine, trucks and header’s.
Not big acre days. But a lot easier than harvesting sugar beets from the end rows.

Speaking of sugar beets. They have been harvesting early digs for almost a month now. We don’t have any early digs, but I might try our beet digger out in a neighbors field today or tomorrow. See how things work or don’t work. We did a lot of stuff to this machine and I would like to make sure it’s ready when we do start permanent piles.

Bjrogg

Didn’t get any pictures of soybean harvest for neighbor, but we sure have been getting some pretty sunsets
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:35:15 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2022, 06:53:14 am »
Pretty big day yesterday.

Started out taking a doubles load of black beans to Star of the West .

Then moved trucks and headed to the soybean fields.

Still had a little time before the dew was off so I took the beet digger to my neighbors field and dug 12 rows. It worked really good so we called it a successful test.

Then I got in the combine and went at soybeans. This farm had a lot of end rows on the beet fields. I did 18.8 acres of headlands. Then there was a 28 acre wedge field across the tracks. I finished up just as the sun was setting in my mirror. With the moon in the sky.

Was a good day

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2022, 06:54:22 am »
Half moon in sky and setting sun in my mirror

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2022, 08:24:21 am »
Beautiful picture, sounds like you are staying busy.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2022, 09:07:35 am »
You have opened a lot of eyes on just how much work goes into large scale farming, including mine. Great thread!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #476 on: October 05, 2022, 08:34:55 pm »
Beautiful picture, sounds like you are staying busy.  :)
 Pappy

Thanks Pappy. That’s one of my favorite things about my job. I’m constantly exposed to our makers beauty. It’s really impossible to capture it all in a picture, but try to anyway.

I actually stopped the combine to get that one. Has to be important to stop the combine.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #477 on: October 05, 2022, 08:54:48 pm »
You have opened a lot of eyes on just how much work goes into large scale farming, including mine. Great thread!

Thank You more than you know Eric. I have had a lot of mixed emotions about doing this thread. I’m a little worried about giving so much personal information. It’s probably not really smart.

I’m hoping to give people a little glimpse into modern agriculture.

Many people are several generations removed from the farm and I have to remember that so many things I think are common knowledge aren’t necessarily to others

It means a lot to me to hear you have found this thread a good one :)

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #478 on: October 05, 2022, 11:36:25 pm »
Brian, you are fortunate to be able to see the day come in and fade into darkness on a daily basis. I'm sure there is a lot of work between but you always seem to be enjoying it all.  Isn't the coming full moon the harvest moon?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #479 on: October 06, 2022, 05:36:21 am »
Thank You more than you know Eric. I have had a lot of mixed emotions about doing this thread. I’m a little worried about giving so much personal information. It’s probably not really smart.

this post is very informative. I like it alot and it teaches me alot.
The personal informations contribute to depict the scene and the final result is definitely positive  :OK
Thankyou BJ