Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 119275 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #555 on: November 02, 2022, 04:24:52 am »
Well I have all of our trucks loaded and waiting at scales for the piling ground to open. Should be in a couple minutes.

No fog this morning. We are all very thankful for that.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2022, 01:38:33 am »
We dug from 2:00 am till 12:30 yesterday. Got 35 acres dug and hauled to piles.

We are digging from 2:00am till 11:00 am this morning. Then we are going to be shut down until probably Monday or Tuesday.

We now have just over 200 acres harvested and about 150 acres to go.

We hauled exactly 200 loads 6993 tons and a average sugar content of 19.11% and 34.9 tons per acre.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2022, 01:41:39 am »
The yields are better than I was expecting. They have really been putting on tons and sugar for the past few months

Digging in the dark

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #558 on: November 03, 2022, 01:43:45 am »
And here comes the sun

Bjrogg

Gotta go the trucks will soon be waiting for me

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #559 on: November 03, 2022, 04:52:15 am »
Got the first round of trucks loaded and first one is back for its second load

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #560 on: November 03, 2022, 07:41:26 am »
We were really clicking and then the fog rolled in heavy.

We parked our trucks.

Have to get 3 more empty ones to finish the strip we are on

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2022, 09:09:59 am »
Sun came up and fog let up enough to get empty trucks back to finish the strip

We decide not to open up another. With fog and 11:00 required weigh in time.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #562 on: November 05, 2022, 07:02:26 am »
We did finish that strip. We didn’t start another.

I cleaned up beet digger and looked everything over really good. Then spread rye seed on the ground we had harvested already.

I thought about going hunting but I was just to tired and sore. I couldn’t stay awake so I went home and went to bed. I thought I would get up in the morning and go instead. When I woke up in the early morning I went to bathroom and decided the bed felt really, really, really good. I decided I needed sleep more than hunting and went back to bed.

Yesterday we finished harvesting my sons corn and our neighbors to. Then I spread rye, and he got some tillage done.

This morning the wind is blowing hard. I’m not going hunting in this. I feel like a person again and I really missed my wife even though she was here all the while. Was really nice to actually have a little time with her.

The weather has warmed enough that we are shut down until Monday morning. Hopefully we can finish the field we are in then.

Tuesday I have to go with my wife to have a spot removed from her cheek. We had a biopsy taken about five years ago. It came back negative. She had a follow up a year later and doctors gave her the ok. Her next two visits were canceled because of Covid. This spring when she was having her medical problems the doctors and nurses were concerned about that spot.

We tried to get appointment but it took almost six months to get in because they are so far behind. As soon as the doctor saw her he was very concerned and immediately started removing the spot and sent in another biopsy. He said he was sure what it was though. Biopsy came back positive. My wife doesn’t remember the name of the cancer, or know anything about it. They did tell her it was highly unlikely that it spread though so we are hopeful.

Tuesday morning we are going to vote first thing and then go to city for her procedure. Any thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

I don’t know what will happen. It’s a rather large spot or maybe several together. I don’t have a lot of information on it yet. Of course my wife is worried about the spot and what she will look like after the procedure. It is smack dab in the center of her cheek.

I’m just wanting to get her to doctors and get her well and she is going to look beautiful to me as long as she is healthy. It’s been a tough 12 months. I have lost some really good friends. I certainly hope I don’t lose my wife. I don’t think I will , but it’s scary all the same.

We have a good 3 days left of digging beets. Next week sounds like pretty good weather for storing and harvesting them.

Really hoping we can finish the field we are in now Monday. There should be about 40 acres left in it.

Then Tuesday take my wife for her successful procedure while my truck drivers attend their father and grandpa’s funeral. He was a good man and lived a good long life. Was 93 and in good shape until just a month ago. He told everyone  not to cry for him. He was very blessed

Then hopefully the equipment can get moved to the last field. It’s literally right across the railroad tracks from the piling grounds so even if we have a skeleton crew we should be able to get something done.

Maybe we can be finished by Thursday or Friday.

Bjrogg

Spreading rye on sons corn stalks and him doing tillage

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #563 on: November 08, 2022, 11:36:52 am »
My wife and I are having breakfast on the way home from doctors. They decided to prescribe her a chemotherapy cream to use on her spot. They said it wouldn’t spread so that is very much a relief.

They thought the chemo cream was worth trying. Removing by surgery would leave a nasty scar and odds are pretty decent this might work. Sure hoping so.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #564 on: November 08, 2022, 12:27:07 pm »
Yesterday was a big day. I started digging beets at 5:30am there was a full moon sitting in the west. It sure was pretty. Way better than the pictures.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #565 on: November 08, 2022, 12:28:59 pm »
Then the sunrise in the east
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #566 on: November 08, 2022, 12:32:18 pm »
The truck drivers kept me very busy. By 2:30 pm we had finished the field. We fueled everything up and moved 9 miles to our last field. Right across the railroad tracks from the piling ground.

The last six rows in field

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #567 on: November 08, 2022, 12:35:13 pm »
That was 41 acre which is pretty good day, but it didn’t stop there.

We had a really smooth move and got digging in the last field before dark. It wasn’t long and the moonrise was in the east.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2022, 12:36:24 pm »
Just a little while later and the sunset was in the west.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #569 on: November 08, 2022, 12:41:30 pm »
I dug another 20.99 acres before we called it a day. That was pretty close to 10:00 pm. I went home very tired, but very happy to be in the last field.

The moon was really beautiful

I even got a pretty good picture of it. Seems like I have a very hard time getting a good picture of the moon.

Bjrogg