Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 119459 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #675 on: May 02, 2023, 07:27:58 am »
WB my phone say 3hr and 49min. It would probably take you through some nice property. I sent you a pm
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #676 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:42 am »
Beets are starting to poke out in the fields I planted last. It’s been cool and damp. Actually wet now. I still can’t walk out in the field without sinking in to my ankles so not the greatest pictures, but here’s a couple sugar beets that are just poking out.

Hopefully it starts to warm up a little now and we get a good stand. From what I can see looking from the edge of the field. I think we have a good stand in the first field I planted.

When it dries up we are going to be extremely busy. I think our sugar beets are going to make it. I sure hope so anyway. If they don’t it would really put us very far behind.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #677 on: May 05, 2023, 12:30:11 pm »
Mother Nature finally gave us a little sunshine and it is getting to 52 F high and lows 40’s low.

Just warming up that little bit and the sun warming that top layer of ground really helped coax our sugar beets out of the ground. I did quite a bit of scouting after going to my grad kids school for grand parents day.

Looks like a they came up perfect where I planted the first two days. Still a little thin where I planted the last day, but I think they will come

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2023, 12:37:15 pm »
I’ve been collecting dead ash logs. Limbing them and putting the logs on piles. My goal is to get down my cliff to my beach. It’s literally huge ash trees that died and are so tangled up they can’t even fall all the way to the ground.

I’m doubtful I will achieve my goal at least this spring. I did get started though.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2023, 12:38:45 pm »
Goose nest by my pond.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #680 on: May 06, 2023, 02:34:28 am »
I think Spring has sprung ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2023, 01:47:54 pm »
I think Spring has sprung ! Bob

Yes beauty of a day again today Bob. I think the better half of spring might be here now. Saw a barn swallow today. Always figured the Purple Martians get here to early and leave to early.
The barn swallows seem to have it timed out a lot better.

Supposed to rain again tomorrow. Getting close to being able to get in fields but not yet. Maybe Monday if it doesn’t rain. Lots to do when we can

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #682 on: May 07, 2023, 08:43:21 am »
A couple of friends stopped by our shop yesterday morning and we did a little shooting bows.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #683 on: May 07, 2023, 08:46:17 am »
Still a little too wet to work in the fields, so I worked at cleaning up dead ash trees. When my son got home from work he helped me and we restocked our firewood pile at our beach.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #684 on: May 07, 2023, 09:30:33 am »
One for Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #685 on: May 08, 2023, 03:27:34 am »
Thanks ! Love seeing those Big Boats - what view ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #686 on: May 08, 2023, 03:25:01 pm »
The generation ahead of me. A lot of men from around here sailed on the lake with the freighters. I had several uncles that did.

It rained  .6” yesterday so nothing in the field.

I think we have a good stand of beets so I switched the planter to corn. I’m really not sure what I’m going to plant next. It might be soybeans but it’s easier to switch to corn and I would like to plant corn next  if I can.

Take off all 18 row units and change plates and extractor.

I’m going to clean the fertilizer screens too.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #687 on: May 09, 2023, 06:22:12 am »
Awhile back. On the leatherwall site they had a thread about planting trees for Jawge.

I tried something slightly different. Instead of planting a tree I tried grafting one. I tried grafting my dads apple tree to one of my thorn apple trees.

I still don’t know if it is going to survive, but it seems to be ok so far. Buds are starting to open up.

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #688 on: May 09, 2023, 08:33:04 am »
Graft looks like it took. I doubt a twig that size would have the energy to send out leaves if cambiums are not lined up. Nice job on that.

Raining at the moment so not in a big hurry to get out there but Ill be out mowing brush today. Bloom is basically over here. Starting to size fruit for thinning now. Took a few pics last week but things got busy.
Mike 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #689 on: May 10, 2023, 03:34:01 am »
A Friend of Mines Dad, was a Ag Teacher/Dairy Farmer. His pride and joy, was a Tree in His Orchard that was Half Apple - Half Pear. He had grafted is many Years past, as an experiment. Bob