Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 118853 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #705 on: May 15, 2023, 07:14:09 am »
By the way my wife loved her bouquet of asparagus.

After the kids left yesterday I checked out my Jawge graft. It’s still looking good. I also did a few more last week and they look like they have potential.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #706 on: May 15, 2023, 07:17:02 am »
I found the goose eggs broken up and drug away from the nest last week. It looks like three of the six made it . The mother , father and three babies are swimming in my pond.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #707 on: May 21, 2023, 07:27:37 am »
It’s been a very busy how ever many days. I’m starting to feel the years. I’m really tired.

I planted my sons corn.

Planted most of our soybeans.

Sprayed beets and killed rye cover in preparation for planting edible beans. They aren’t GMO so I have to kill the rye before we plant the seeds.

I put nitrogen on our wheat and sugar beets.

We are almost caught back up again.

Which is good because my brother goes for surgery tomorrow morning. He won’t be able to help until he gets healed up. We were hoping to avoid the procedure, but the doctors are pretty sure he still needs it. I hope and pray everything goes well. His healing is complete and he adjusts to his new lifestyle well. I also pray he can still work with me for many years to come.

We are still pretty cool around here. Had two white frost this week. A couple days would have been beautiful for February. My cousin who lives further inland said his dogs water bowl was frozen solid one morning.

I was thinking we were past the freezing point. I didnt get any apples from my dads tree last year. Well I did get about five. I was thinking they were safe this year. Almost budded out earlier in April but then just waited for it to warm up. Finally got some warm weather and they blossomed out. Just in time to get frosted and frozen. Maybe we will still get some. This is a pretty hardy tree. I trimmed it in March and it’s the one I saved grafting material from for my Jawge  graft.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #708 on: May 21, 2023, 07:38:17 am »
I put the nitrogen on wheat and sugar beets. I we always split our nitrogen applications. Got done just before a nice slow  1/2 “ rain that will put it right where the crops need it. It is a good practice and a great way to insure that spring rains don’t leach it away. Good for environment and the wheat.

I could see how weedy the wheat was when I sprayed it for weeds. Here’s a picture. Maybe you can see how the wheat is green. The funny colored stuff is the weeds that were growing above the wheat. Hopefully now dying. It was already very hard on the wheat in places completely chocking it out.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 07:46:36 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #709 on: May 21, 2023, 07:40:38 am »
The rye cover crop l planted sugar beets into is dying now and the sugar beet rows are starting to show up

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #710 on: May 21, 2023, 07:50:14 am »
I know I’m not supposed to talk religion. I’m not going to.

I would just like you all to know that if you feel inclined to pray for my brother I would appreciate that. Whatever your faith.

Thanks Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #711 on: May 21, 2023, 07:12:06 pm »
Prayers sent BJ. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #712 on: May 21, 2023, 10:26:14 pm »
Hope things go OK for your brother, Brian.  And hope your weather warms up!  It's amazing how fast we've gone from shoveling to mowing.  Darn near had to rent a brush hog to do the back lawn.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline chamookman

« Reply #713 on: May 22, 2023, 02:58:28 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #714 on: May 22, 2023, 03:54:06 am »
I'm with you and your Brother BJ

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #715 on: May 22, 2023, 06:04:52 am »
Thank You everyone for the thoughts and prayers. They are very much appreciated and welcome.

Bjrogg

PS I will try to make a update when I get information

Offline M2A

« Reply #716 on: May 22, 2023, 06:56:54 am »
Will keep your bro on the short list.
Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #717 on: May 22, 2023, 01:21:52 pm »
Sending positive energy up into the universe for your brother and your family, Brian.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #718 on: May 22, 2023, 01:32:37 pm »
Thank You Mike and Pat.

From what I understand he went in surgery early this morning but expects to be in most of the day.

I’m certainly not going to rush them. If there’s one thing I have learned from hospital visits it’s don’t be in to much of a hurry to get out of there. If something is wrong get it checked out before you go.

Thanks everyone again l will keep you updated

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #719 on: May 22, 2023, 04:13:55 pm »
My sister said he was doing pretty good. Very tired and doctors said he would be in a lot of pain for a few days. He’s resting now.

Bjrogg