Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 113298 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #735 on: June 04, 2023, 03:47:29 am »
What a spot by the "Big" Pond  (A) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #736 on: June 04, 2023, 08:14:10 pm »
Looks like a fine place to relax and enjoy the view.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #737 on: June 05, 2023, 06:55:39 am »
Looks like a fine place to relax and enjoy the view.
 Pappy

Yes Pappy it certainly is. As my cousin who comes back home from California every summer to visit says. “It’s a great place to reboot the soul”

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #738 on: June 05, 2023, 07:03:11 am »
What a spot by the "Big" Pond  (A) ! Bob

It really is a great spot Bob. Would love to share a bonfire with you there sometime. The lake is way down again. My brother has been fishing with his waders and doing good.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #739 on: June 05, 2023, 07:05:35 am »
Had a big long comment almost finished then pressed the wrong key and closed out the screen by accident :fp

Remove the fruit this year. See how it grows and maybe leaving a light crop next year. Looks great! Looks like the bloom made it through the spring frosts so you ought to get some fruit from the bigger tree. 28 degree F for 3 hours is a 90% kill during full bloom. We made it down to 29 for 30 min one night this year. Interesting to see the timing difference. We are about a month ahead. Lodi(July apples) will be ready in a month about. But a long way to go on Stamen and Rome with a mid October pick date. The season for Primary apple scab is over and I think I got through things well this year. Lots of early mornings, maybe tonight I can post a few sun rise pictures from the last month. Need to turn my attention to some of the field crops soon.

Been hot and dry here for a while. No rain in the forecast either. Odd for this time of year in SW Pa. Think the last rain was May 20th and that was less than .5"

Worked hard this week to finish everything to be able to do some work in the shop this weekend. I better start by cleaning up my mess:)
Mike   

Yes I forgot to mention that the big tree I got the graft material from did set fruit. So glad. My wife and I really like the apples it produces.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #740 on: June 05, 2023, 09:15:48 am »
Wheat is starting to head out. Probably about six to seven weeks till harvest. Still lots of stuff to get ready in the shop, which has been sit aside for now. With my brother still on the DL. My nephew and I have been to busy in the fields to get much shop work done.

Hopefully I can get along in the fields more myself now and my nephew can get some time in the shop.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #741 on: June 06, 2023, 03:19:13 am »
I'm guessing Your Brother is Fishing for Smallmouth Bass when wading ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #742 on: June 06, 2023, 06:22:04 am »
I'm guessing Your Brother is Fishing for Smallmouth Bass when wading ? Bob

Yes. Bass .

Pulled a few lunkers out of there. It’s a pretty popular fishing spot. I’m sure it was even back when the native Americans were still here.  It’s a shallow flat area. If you watch long enough you will see them jump out of the water for bugs.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #743 on: June 07, 2023, 07:22:09 am »
All the wheat has been cut here and most have beans planted over the stubble.  :) my corn is waste high now and could really use some rain, been a very dry spring here again this year. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #744 on: June 08, 2023, 08:24:23 am »
All the wheat has been cut here and most have beans planted over the stubble.  :) my corn is waste high now and could really use some rain, been a very dry spring here again this year. :-\
 Pappy

Yes we are definitely behind your neighborhood Pappy.

Corn is probably a week behind normal and it’s still pretty cool here yet. Had to find a shirt with sleeves again. You need to have a portable closet around here . You never know what you might get for weather around here.

It’s been a pretty decent spring for rain here. Could use a little rain again, but not serious yet unless you are trying to plant beans in ground that was tilled a few weeks ago. That’s dried out as deep as you worked it.

It looks like it’s going to rain every day. It’s like twilight all day long. I’ve seen raccoons running around four hours before it’s actually twilight. Hope they get those forest fires out soon. I’m sure all my crops are missing out on photosynthesis they need because of all this smoke.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #745 on: June 08, 2023, 08:27:27 am »
Our pinto beans came up good. Getting their first tri foliates .

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #746 on: June 10, 2023, 07:21:49 am »
Been busy . Nephew in the shop and myself in the fields.

Still smoky haze. I hope they get these fires under control soon. I can’t imagine how much fire it takes to make the sky so hazy this far from the source.

A couple pictures of the hazy sun shining. Hard to capture in pictures.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #747 on: June 10, 2023, 07:23:26 am »
One more

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #748 on: June 10, 2023, 11:15:13 am »
We can't smell the smoke but you can easily see the haze over the mountains here. They say it could go on all summer. Just pray for the wind to change directions for relief.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #749 on: June 12, 2023, 09:40:44 am »
We got a really nice slow half inch rain over the past 24 hours.

My daughter said that her dog Zoey gifted it to us. She passed away a year ago yesterday and my daughter still really misses her.

We did of course get these two. One a knuckle head and the other has a licker problem. Licks everything.lol

They aren’t Zoey, but we love them and they love us in return.

Bjrogg