Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 119228 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2023, 06:39:03 am »
We did get some pintos off late yesterday afternoon. I kept taking hand shelled samples until they got to just barely the maximum moisture allowed. The buyer told me to take them. Hopefully they are dry enough on the truck.

We couldn’t start until 5:30pm and it was done by 8:00. Hopefully we can get some more today but it is supposed to be cloudy today.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #916 on: September 16, 2023, 10:51:23 am »
I got one truck unloaded. Moisture was just slightly above maximum but the buyer took them. They looked and graded pretty decent. The beans are still good quality if we can get them before the pods all fall off the straw.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #917 on: September 17, 2023, 07:06:33 am »
Well the weather man was wrong again, but this time that was a good thing. We got more sun yesterday than predicted and we got enough thrashing time to get our pintos off. Praise the Lord I’m so relieved. It’s raining now and I don’t think they would’ve been worth harvesting if we had to wait another week for them to dry.

The beans still look to be good quality but they haven’t been graded yet. They still are at or slightly above maximum moisture levels but the buyer wants them. That is such a relief and we really need some income so it will be very nice to get paid for them. These interest rates are really hurting.

I’m very much going to enjoy my Sunday.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #918 on: September 17, 2023, 07:34:09 am »
Glad it is working out BJ, farmers have a tough life and seems all depends of what the weather gives ya. Busy time for you that's for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #919 on: September 18, 2023, 02:54:14 am »
Glad to hear that BJ !  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #920 on: September 18, 2023, 11:10:28 am »
Glad for you BJ
Seeing so much work at risk for the weather and other events outside your control makes me appreciate your determination
I'm sure I'd have troubles managing that stress levels

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #921 on: September 18, 2023, 03:58:08 pm »
Glad for you BJ
Seeing so much work at risk for the weather and other events outside your control makes me appreciate your determination
I'm sure I'd have troubles managing that stress levels

It’s funny because I don’t like gambling. Not even on a sure thing.

Yet farmers are probably the biggest gamblers there are. Somehow I don’t feel that way. It seems more likely that I feel a faith that if I do my best I will be taken care of. Sometimes it might not seem like it though.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #922 on: September 19, 2023, 06:40:01 am »
My sons bunker is almost empty. He needed to chop some corn. The corn around here is still a little behind. It’s not mature enough to fill the bunker completely yet so we just chopped a small 3.5 acre patch. The really fresh green silage can really guff up the digestive system of the cattle so he also bought a couple loads from a neighbor and we put it in the front of the pile when we were done chopping.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #923 on: September 20, 2023, 07:00:07 am »
Did get started planting wheat. Should get to about 1/3 planted today. Then have to get black beans harvested before I can plant more.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #924 on: September 20, 2023, 07:09:58 am »
Looks like you are making some progress  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #925 on: September 21, 2023, 06:42:14 am »
We got started at Black Beans yesterday afternoon.

We got started with one combine about 2:00. I moved the second one there shortly after and we pushed them pretty hard. We also used our cart. It make it so the combines never have to stop to unload their beans. Having two combines and a cart is about the same as having three combines without a cart.

We shelled out a doubles load and two six axle loads before we got rained out. I’m about ready for the weather man to forecast cloudy and drizzle. That’s how his sunny and dry seems to turn out. Maybe his cloudy and drizzle would turn out sunny and dry. Still not many beans off in the neighborhood but we are sneaking a few off when we can.
Bjrogg

PS yes Pappy we try to have everything fixed up, setup and organized so we can jump from one thing to another. Keep checking stuff off the list. It pays to have everything ready.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #926 on: September 21, 2023, 08:42:53 am »
BJ i'll show my ignorance. Maybe also others will benefit of your answers
What part of corn do cattle eat?
They eat leaves, husks and stems? all grinded togheter?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #927 on: September 21, 2023, 11:20:02 am »
BJ i'll show my ignorance. Maybe also others will benefit of your answers
What part of corn do cattle eat?
They eat leaves, husks and stems? all grinded togheter?

GlisGlis they eat all of it. Some parts have more nutrients than others.

My son feeds a mixer of what we call silage and high moisture corn.

The silage is what we did here. It is cutting the whole plant and chopping it up into tiny easily digestible pieces. Ideally when the “milk line” on the kernel of corn is half way down. The corn plant is about 65% moisture then if I remember correctly. We put it on a pile and pack it as tightly as we can by driving on it with the push tractor. Then we cover the pile with plastic to keep the air out.

It then goes through a fermentation process. It will keep this way for a very long time as long as it isn’t exposed to air.

High moisture corn is just the kernels. We like to harvest them at 25% moisture. We run the kernels through a roller mill to crack them. Then we put them on a pile next to the silage. It gets covered with plastic and goes through the same fermentation process as the silage.

Sometimes we make snaplige . We put a combine head on the chopper. It removes the whole cob and husks. The cob, kernels and husk get cracked and chopped. Then covered, and fermented.

Also some is feed dry . Just the kernels dried down to 13.5% so they can be stored in a bin

Bjrogg

PS the black beans we took off yesterday were excellent quality. The white mold protection really worked. The timing was perfect. I’m afraid a lot of the neighbors aren’t going to be as fortunate. Yield and quality are going to be all over the place

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #928 on: September 21, 2023, 01:25:23 pm »
thankyou very much for taking the time to answer

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #929 on: September 23, 2023, 08:31:46 am »
You are very welcome. I’m happy to answer them.

We have been making big headway for the past three days

Good to see harvested  fields.

Bjrogg