Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 113263 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2022, 09:53:16 am »
Full moon rising
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #391 on: August 15, 2022, 03:52:58 am »
That Corn Sprayer, is pretty cool. Good Beach pics  - can't go wrong there  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #392 on: August 15, 2022, 07:06:59 am »
Thanks Bob wish I could post the video. It makes you dizzy watching the corn fly by.

Here’s another beach picture for you. There were several freighters on the horizon. Took a picture of this one for you

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #393 on: August 15, 2022, 08:22:25 am »
Sorry to hear about you loss BJ, thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #394 on: August 15, 2022, 11:09:31 am »
Always liked August, chasing Silver Fish out near the Shipping Channel. Up close and Personal with the Freighters  (lol). Thanks for posting - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #395 on: August 15, 2022, 09:47:56 pm »
Sorry to hear about you loss BJ, thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
 Pappy

Thanks Pappy. We really appreciate the thoughts and prayers. They are very welcome.

Would have liked to get to Elm Hall to see everyone but it wasn’t in the big plan

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:21 am »
So true BJ, Missed you but understand, Prov. 16:9 always applies. Beautiful pictures of the beach by the way. Looks very peaceful.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #397 on: August 17, 2022, 06:53:28 am »
Finished spraying corn yesterday and cleaned up my sprayer. Driving through the tall corn is kinda messy. Flowers from the tassels get in all the knocks and crannies.

I opened all the access panels and blew them out good with the air compressor hose .

Then I washed it good with the power washer. Fixed a couple fittings I had to make a field fix on when I didn’t have the proper fittings. Tested everything out with clean water again and made sure everything was in working order.

I’m also taking care of my son’s cattle for a few days. They were happy to see me. Some really nice looking steers in this barn . They look like they are pretty happy here.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2022, 03:04:36 pm »
Was feeding my son’s cattle this morning and the aerial applicator was eating up some acres. Did the farm next door.

Had to stop and watch. Took pictures of one pass.

I really do still have the bug to try that, but I’m probably getting a little old to start that game anymore.

Still fun to watch though

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2022, 03:08:44 pm »
Just starting to pull up on the last picture.

Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2022, 11:36:03 pm »
No where around here flat or large enough for a crop duster. But I did see one years ago I think we were driving through Arkansas. He was doing some crazy turns. I'll always remember that.

Here's a pic from the cab of my boom in some 10' ornamental corn(Indian corn). Sweet corn don't get that tall anymore, but back when I was a picker Silver King would get 10-12' high. Use to have a hard time throwing it into the truck or wagon if you were a few rows out.
IMG_4988 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
I do 3.5 mph with this sprayer so 9 mph is flying for me BJ :)
Tried to get a good pick of the tomato field thats producing right now. Very well might be some of the nicest stuff I've seen in 30 years. Plants are still good and healthy so thats a hugh plus. 8 weeks till we start final pick so the count down is on. This field is just over an acre.
IMG_4989 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
I had a crew sort pick 400 honey crisp trees in the new orchard, (Premiere) an early variety. Didn't use bins but they went straight into 1/2 bu boxes to reduce handling. Got almost 5 full skids so not bad for the first pick in new trees. I suppose they will be in full production in 2 more years and we'll get 2x that. But these will all get sold retail in the market by the pound and there is nothing to cull out.
IMG_4992 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
I'll be shifting gears now and start to spend much of my time washing/grading apples like the ginger golds below. Got Gala coming in as soon as I get a bit more color on them, as well as a new variety Crimson crisp. I hope I can have they guys go over them before next weekend, but not sure how fast they will ripen up. Same with the main season honey crisp. And it will go on and on for the next 6+weeks. One of my main pickers had to go home for a family emergency and he took his nephew with him so I'll be down 2 pickers for a spell. I hope all goes as well as it can for them. I have not picked with the crew for a number of years now but may have to see if I can still keep up with the young bucks. Tomorrow we will start to finish up ginger golds, depends on how many pickers I can get on weather or not we will finish them off or continue on Saturday.
IMG_4981 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Maybe I'll be able to get a few more pics here when I post some from the arrow trade but I may be done until things slow down. Hard to say how much free time Ill have till end of October. I do my best work in my shop when I'm busy at the farm lol. Best wishes BJ for getting your crops in. I suppose you'll be in the combine Deep into November, I hope to get some down time before that:)
Mike                     

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2022, 07:57:52 am »
Thanks for sharing your operation Mike.

I find it all very interesting. They certainly have developed some really amazing varieties of apples. They are so sweet, tasty and crisp. Not to mention huge. Some of them are getting so big I can’t hardly eat a whole apple.

I wish you a safe and successful harvest. Hope you find enough help and get your crop in. If not I hope you can still show the young bucks how it’s done. That usually inspires them just knowing you have done it all to.

I debated weather or not I was going to post this. I’ve gone to so many funerals lately it’s kinda scary.

I didn’t want to turn this post into a downer.

I guess I just can’t ignore it though.

Today I have another funeral to go to.

It’s one I knew was coming for a few years now and definitely knew it was coming for the past few months and weeks.

My brother in law was diagnosed with ALS about 3 1/2 years ago. He was what I would call a proud man. He was taken to early, but in his lifetime he did so much good.

He was a fantastic husband, father, grandfather, friend and brother in law. ALS is a nasty disease that takes its victims in a rather undignified way. My brother in law showed so much dignity through the whole fight. He leaves a very sad , but well raised family. They will very much miss him, but he has prepared them well. I know they will do well. I know he is proud of them and they are proud of him. And I’m proud of all of them.

Sorry to bring another passing, but living in this area I know so many of my neighbors and helping others cope with their grief is something we may struggle with, but we certainly try to support however we can. Some are harder than others. This one is going to hurt for awhile.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2022, 09:35:33 pm »
Sweet corn is perfect right now. Will be to busy to freeze it for a couple days. Did do a little tonight. Sweet and tender. Just right for eating off the cob.

Grateful for the sweet corn and being able to enjoy another sunset.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2022, 03:38:15 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent Bud, sorry for Your loss ! Bob

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2022, 08:30:48 am »
That is beautiful corn. I always grew a corn patch every three years and vacuum sealed what I grew for the freezer. I put up enough the last time to last 4 years and surprisingly it was as good 4 years later as when I put it up.

I restocked this year but old age has caught up with me so I made a trip to the local Amish community and bought my corn for $3.50-$4.00 a dozen rather than grow it myself. I have put countless tons of manure in my garden spot over the years and keeping the weeds out of my corn patch is a very labor-intensive job which I can no longer do.